GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Neuspeed RSe10 18"

Mr.boles

Ready to race!
235 vs 245 on 8.5" wheel

Fender rubbing:

The 235/40 Michelin PSS just barely contacts the fender (mounted on 8.5" wheel) leaving a faint ring of scuffing where the lettering is. This isn't the audible, problematic rubbing that most people consider "rubbing". I consider it acceptable but it is a good indication that 235 is approximately the limit. This wear is not shown in the picture below.

Other wear considerations:

After 2 days on track my 235s looked like this. What you're seeing is not fender rubbing but rather wear from the tire rolling over. 235 is slightly stretched on the 8.5" wheel and I think this contributes to the degree to which the wear goes beyond the tread blocks.

I'm still using this set up as-is but thing the issue could be improved by using camber plates and a 245. The 245 will have more square sidewalls and the camber plates will both allow clearance and help out with the rolling through added negative camber. Ground control has a design for the mk6 that allows adjustment without removing the strut but they haven't released a plate for the mk7 yet. I've been pestering them via email and they suggest it is close.

TLDR: 235 is the best fit without altering camber but 245 might be ideal with enough camber to clear.

What suspension are you running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJMK7R

Passed Driver's Ed
The pic makes it look as if the rim is out wider than the top of the fender opening?

AR11

Ready to race!
The pic makes it look as if the rim is out wider than the top of the fender opening?

The perspective is really disorienting; the wheel and tire are actually well within the fender. Don't rely on the picture in order to get a sense of the fit but rather look at it for the tire wear. This is the standard 18x8.5 +45.

Last edited:

KO7

Ready to race!
With 8.5 or 9" width and 45 offset, I think the lower half will be poking a bit. The MK7 body has its wheel wells kinda sloped, so pick your poison between being flush on the top fender or keeping it all tucked in top to bottom. That's why if the top of the tire/wheel is more or less flush with the fender, you'll get decent amount of mud and dirt sprayed onto the side of your car regularly. I can live with that, I've currently got 225/40/18 on RSE12 18x8 for winters and will go slightly wider for summer with 235/40/18 on RSE10 18x8.5.

NJMK7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Actually surprised that the 235's look as stretched as they do on these wheels, and the 8.5 width is the culprit obviously. I also dont agree that the tire is rolling over unless your pressure was too low. Looks great but I like to have that extra insurance to protect against the accidental curb scrape so really leaning towards an 8 inch rim and 235 tires. I have the DCC with the stupid 19's wish it werent so.

Davey Jones

Ready to race!
Damn the silver looks SHARP. Especially nice on the R where the finish closely matches the rear view mirror covers.

Thanks, I'm liking it so far. The finish does almost perfectly match the mirror covers, which is what I was going for. The picture I posted doesn't show it well with the shadows and lighting.

I ordered and received the VW caps that had original come on my Cadiz instead of the general black/silver VW caps. I like the way it looks a lot better than the silver RS caps the wheels came with. I'll get some pictures today and post them up.

These caps:

The part number on these is 5G0 601 171, as opposed to the regular ones which are part # 3B7 601 171. Both are the same size.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Will 235/40-18 fit OK on a 18x8 wheel? Would that improve "curb" protection by causing the sidewall to fatten up a bit?

I'm thinking 235/40-18 Michelin PSS on 18x8 wheels....

BTW, those of you running 235 width PSS, how's the straight-line traction now? How much better than the stock tires?

KO7

Ready to race!

Tone1

Ready to race!
Are PSS 235's a little skinnier than most? Thought I've seen several other tires not very stretched with 235 and 8.5 wheels

AR11

Ready to race!
Are PSS 235's a little skinnier than most? Thought I've seen several other tires not very stretched with 235 and 8.5 wheels

I'll let you know after I burn through them and replace them with RE-71 ;)

AR11

Ready to race!
Took some more photos of the Rse10's 18x8 in hyper black today

Nice shots. I'm consistently impressed by Neuspeed's wheel offerings. It's hard to think of other wheels that offer the same combination of design/finish, weight and price.

I wish I had gotten the shiny machined silver ones instead of the black.

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion
Nice shots. I'm consistently impressed by Neuspeed's wheel offerings. It's hard to think of other wheels that offer the same combination of design/finish, weight and price.

I wish I had gotten the shiny machined silver ones instead of the black.

Thanks. Yea they make some awesome wheels.