GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

anyone else struggling with modding?

logixal1

Banned
so i just got my mk7 2 weeks ago roughly after having a used mk6. its brand new off hte lot still has the new car smell. and im finding it really hard to start modding. of course i want to do the (tune, coils, engine mounts, CAI, full exhaust and all that) but im for some reason just cant i dont wanna ruin the warranty on it. anyone else having this issue?

Whackamac

Ready to race!
I pretty much fully raped the car within the first 72 hours. I have had no issues other than the minor rattle somewhere in the dash.

StormTrooper1

Ready to race!
Ya I got my stage 1 tune with 600 miles on the car lol.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Two sets of lightweight alloys, race spec fire extinguisher which involved removing the drivers seat & drawer & cutting into the trim, ESC OFF button which involved removing the trim on the dash & centre console, making a stainless steel guard for the A/C condenser, adding loads of stone guards/trim pieces which VW do make but VWUK think we don't need!.........numbnuts!

In a couple of months time I'll have the door cards off & installing the Passat LED puddle lights..

Also I've spent god knows how many hours with the car plugged into my laptop & making huge tweaks from VCDS!

besides that it's standard gov'...honest!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Then don't mod it.

You've got a great, brand spanking new car.
One of the best cars in its price range on the market.
Why not enjoy the hell out of everything it has to offer you in stock form first, before you start changing things?

If you feel it's not fast enough somewhere down the line, give it a tune.
If you find you want more exhaust sound, give it a catback.

Don't mod your car for the sake of bragging to other people, or having a cool forum signature.

BJJGTI

Ready to race!
Ya I had the same issue. I started doing some mods but little things invariably get "used" or imperfect in the process. For example the VWR springs don't have a perfectly even drop on all corners, when the car was jacked to fit new wheels the undercoating got scraped, the metal on the intake clamp got a few marks on it when the intake was removed, the auto leveling headlights are slightly out of whack now that it is lowered, the list goes on... I have had many modified cars since the earlies 90s and it always pains me when the car is brand you as you will always get these little imperfections with modding if you are OCD enough.

s7wag

Ready to race!
I pretty much fully raped the car within the first 72 hours. I have had no issues other than the minor rattle somewhere in the dash.

"the dash rattle" have you checked out others with similar that have disabled the sound actuator via VCDS to cure? worth checking maybe just in case that's the source?

g19aby

Passed Driver's Ed
There's nothing else i can find to mod on mine. Disabled that fake noise. Revo done. VIM done. Seat belt Chime done. Had to put the foot well lights on. K&N done.

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
I can completely understand this.

I traded my 09' GTI in for a 15' Golf 1.8T and I do miss having the slight performance increase from the GTI but i think of all the headaches the mods gave me. Also had a 06' GTI which was just as... interesting. Im going to tint the windows like I normally do. Maybe change some LED's and vagcom tweaks or something like that but nothing crazy. Maybe down the road throw the VWR springs on but thats it. I need a solid, reliable car to drive so doing all that stuff isnt for me anymore, i had my fun.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
so i just got my mk7 2 weeks ago roughly after having a used mk6. its brand new off hte lot still has the new car smell. and im finding it really hard to start modding. of course i want to do the (tune, coils, engine mounts, CAI, full exhaust and all that) but im for some reason just cant i dont wanna ruin the warranty on it. anyone else having this issue?

Sounds like the warranty is key for you and for many of us it is.
If that is the case then your choice is to hold off on major mods and do more cosmetic items for now until you are out of warranty. (will go fast as it always does) Then go and mod what you want.
But if you can not wait like most, forget the warranty and mod what you want and see what happens when you have issues.
It comes down to money. If you are tight on cash, then reduce mods and keep warranty clean. If you have cash flow then just be prepared to pay for fixes it warranty does not cover in future.:rolleyes:

BJJGTI

Ready to race!
Sounds like the warranty is key for you and for many of us it is.
If that is the case then your choice is to hold off on major mods and do more cosmetic items for now until you are out of warranty. (will go fast as it always does) Then go and mod what you want.

Isn't the powertrain warranty 5 years?