GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Yours looks pretty good. Are you able to see the raised lettering on yours? My feeling is if I don't press down when applying it, I'd end up doing it eventually when wiping it down and cleaning the dash. If nothing else, a really hot day would likely warm it enough to make it adhere to the point that you could see the lettering.

My first try with the power button I saw it and redid it because of that and it wasn't perfectly center. Knowing that, I finessed the airbag light overlay and made sure not to apply too much pressure.

Now if I could somehow figure out what the square plastic piece at the center of the dashboard does except annoy me with its reflection in my windshield :mad:

Buster_Bluth

Passed Driver's Ed
My first try with the power button I saw it and redid it because of that and it wasn't perfectly center. Knowing that, I finessed the airbag light overlay and made sure not to apply too much pressure.

Now if I could somehow figure out what the square plastic piece at the center of the dashboard does except annoy me with its reflection in my windshield :mad:

Word. Yeah I've only noticed it a few times but I hear ya. Why isn't it the same texture as the rest of the dash vents? I have a spare power button overlay since they give you two, but I'll live with the indentation for now as I got it perfectly centered. Keeping the spare for if/when it gets worn out. If I order anything else from them in the future I may get a second airbag overlay for my OCD, but for now it doesn't bug me too much.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
:confused: :confused:
what?

did you ever think some people might actually like that look? I'm not sure it all comes down to people being cheap. Good assumption though.

Hummm..not an assumption. If we go back a few decades the original idea as to tame down the reflectors inside the halogen lamps using tint on the lamp lens as there were no HID's available on most normal folk cars.

Ever since then manufacturers started making HID lamps that are painted inside with no or minimal reflectors so the lamp no longer needed tinting from the outside. For those that bought the lower trim cars they are stuck with the halogens so ends up they still need to tint the outside of the lens to get a similar effect.

If you like the look of tinted HID's and BiXenon, that's your freedom. I was just generalizing where this fad came from and what it looks like to some car guys like me, I suppose.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I see what you're saying. Makes sense, but I've just never seen that before and I've even had hid lights in halogen housings back in 2003. Sounded like you were saying only cheap people do it, but I know a couple people with Golf R's that have tinted taillights and headlights. I've even seen some people with brand new Audi S8's with yellow tinted taillights. Just thought it looked lame but never attributed it to money lol. Either way, it is what it is

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Installed the Aerofabb rear diffuser. This wasn't on the top of my mods list, but they recently announced they were making their last batch for the foreseeable future, so I jumped on it. Digging it so far, not too obnoxious but a welcome change.

Colors in the pics are oversaturated to show off the diffuser.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I see what you're saying. Makes sense, but I've just never seen that before and I've even had hid lights in halogen housings back in 2003. Sounded like you were saying only cheap people do it, but I know a couple people with Golf R's that have tinted taillights and headlights. I've even seen some people with brand new Audi S8's with yellow tinted taillights. Just thought it looked lame but never attributed it to money lol. Either way, it is what it is
I'm so glad my little cosmetic mod sparked such discussion lol.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

BTW if you ever head up to the north east again and you are in newport news just take 17n up to fredrickburg.

Thanks! I used to do a weekly commute between Newport News and DC. I drove 17/301 both ways every weekend. My goal on this day was to avoid it all: DC, Baltimore, Philly, NY... the whole corridor... for the northbound trip. We stayed in Hagerstown, MD on Thursday...

Driving through Connecticut sucks balls right? :p

We drove through CT and on to ME on a Friday evening. So, yes, it sucked pretty good. HAHA! I think we were in eastern CT around rush hour and hit one parking lot after another until we were past Boston.

Looks like he missed the cluster fuck luckily, sadly he took a two lane highway it seems

I made the map during off-peak hours. So it does not reflect my actual traffic situation, especially on Friday. Our southbound stretch through NY was on a Sunday morning, which wasn't too bad. But I'm happy to not have to endure that nonsense every day. I hate driving anywhere near NYC. Regardless, I'm not sure why it's sad for me to have taken two-lane highways. That's where the best scenery was to be had, especially on our way through Vernon, NJ and Warwick, NY where I grabbed the wheels for sale. We saw plenty of snow and ice in VT. All snow and ice was away from the road, where it belongs. :p
The roads were perfect, albeit slower than driving 75 mph on the Interstate. Still, it's safe to say the majority of our driving was on Interstates.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Changed my engine and trans mounts yesterday - didn't have any specific symptoms, but wanted to refresh things a bit at 74,000 miles.

Turns out my trans mount was completely toast - had loads of play and the rubber was completely separated/torn. I had started to notice a tiny bit of "slop" in the drivetrain, but seeing as these mounts wear and fail gradually, I'm sure I had just grown accustomed to it over time. Engine mount was in better shape, but also starting to show signs of failing - it was starting to tear/separate on one side.

Installation wasn't bad at all - hardest part was gaining access to the trans mount and the body-side bolts. Was a bit sketchy supporting the engine by jacking up an edge of the oil pan for the motor mount, but it all went as planned. Took about 3 hours start to finish for both. Car feels great now - less vibration on startup and idle, and shifts feel smoother/crisper. Glad to have changed them.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Is that just a bad picture or is your screen that messed up? :D

Bad pic, and unfortunately I had to take the wrap off because I had a feeling I didn't cover the entire area properly and small bits of light are still visible when the interior is lit at night...looks really bad, so I need to figure out how I can a) cover the entire area properly or b) cover just the smaller circle around the lit area. The buttons themselves come out easily from the stereo but I wasn't able to pop the covers off so I can properly wrap them

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Just saying "I can see fine, I've got young eyes and I just raise the lights a bit (the better to blind oncoming traffic)" just shows how stupid and ignorant some people are.

I didn't raise my lights, I CAN see fine, and NO it isn't an opinion, its a fact. For other people, maybe it does impair their vision and thats fine. My vision is not hampered at all by them. Thanks for hurling insults from your soapbox though. It's a real good look.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
I didn't raise my lights, I CAN see fine, and NO it isn't an opinion, its a fact. For other people, maybe it does impair their vision and thats fine. My vision is not hampered at all by them.

Light is needed to see. I don't think you've mastered that concept