GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Changed the oil/filter and installed a steel oil pan from USP:

Installed a Fumoto valve in place of the oil plug...

I didn't need to drive the car, so I let the sealant cure for the full 24 hours. No leaks so far. :)

Scott

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

You extract oil from dip stick tube and also have the drain valve???

Yeah, seems counter-intuitive, huh? :p At my next drain, I will extract what I can and then see what more will come out through the plug. I was surprised to still have 16-oz in the pan after extraction on Saturday. That was with the car relatively level, perhaps slightly nose-down (see photo above). I suspect (hope) that more will come out with the car's nose pointed upward on the ramps. It's all about the testing. :D

The Fumoto valve is also great for grabbing a quick oil sample without committing to a drain.

Add a solonoid to that valve for when police are chasing you.

That's FUNNY! I'd need the larger pan, though. :p

Scott

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Changed the oil/filter and installed a steel oil pan from USP:

Installed a Fumoto valve in place of the oil plug...

I didn't need to drive the car, so I let the sealant cure for the full 24 hours. No leaks so far. :)

Scott
Curious, why install the drain valve if you have a fluid extractor?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

Curious, why install the drain valve if you have a fluid extractor?

For options, I guess. I want to see how much oil is left after my next extraction by seeing how much more comes out of the plug. If there's enough to justify cracking the valve every 10k, then I may extract what I can (which is neat and clean) and then drain the rest into a small container, which is still cleaner and easier to store than a dedicated pan. I'll experiment to see what I like.

if any rock or object bounces off the bottom of the car and hit that valve, it will snap right off.

I've had one on my lowered Mk3 for over 400,000 miles:

The Fumoto on my Mk7 is higher and tucks higher out of the way. The photos are deceptive. I think it would take a very hard and direct impact to harm that valve. The odds of anything being able to bounce into that valve at such a precise angle are very low.Even if it breaks, the amount of direct force required would likely be something that would damage the pan anyway. At the very least, it would be so dramatic that I'd pull over for an inspection before the oil could drain out (unlike a lighter impact to the plastic pan).

I'll try to get some photos from the side which show its actual clearance.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
I've had one on my lowered Mk3 for over 400,000 miles:

[

Like you said it's rare, but it might happen. Just like plastic oil pan breakage. It is rare, but it might happen.

I've owned more than 3 dozens of vehicles so far, and I had zero oil pan issues including even minor scratches on either steel or plastic pan.

SRQ_MK6

Ready to race!
Not today but Sunday....installed my IS38 :)

not as hard as i thought but not as easy as I'd like

How long did it take? I live in an apartment and park outside so I don't even know If I could install myself but I'd like to.