GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

petroglyphix

Ready to race!

Little update: my reverse light was in fact not broken out of the box. It wasn't making the proper connection, but with a little help from the folks at deAutoKey I was able to get it lit. They're as bright as some people's headlights, I dig.

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
Installed:

deAutoKey trunk ("boot" lol) LED strip. Verdict: sort of a pain and the adhesive will not last, but I do enjoy the "red rum" look of it.

deAutoKey color changing footwell LEDs. Verdict: the range on the remote seems to be limited, but the rainbow strobe feature is neat! All-around pleased with the red light tying into the scuff plate and door accents.

deAutoKey license plate LEDs and LED brake/turn signal bulbs. Verdict: loving the fresh look of the license plate and the extra light available whilst backing up in the nighttime. As for the LED brake lights, they light up slightly faster? So that's cool and I suppose a bit safer. Not a radical difference in brightness that my eyes could discern. Below is an image of the license plate bulb difference between stock halogen and DeAutoKey's LED replacement.

Installed a glovebox LED which was, oddly enough, the most difficult one. Didn't take a picture because it's the glovebox. Bright as all hell though.

I also installed deAutoKey LED reverse lights however my right bulb came D.O.A and also trips an error code (plugged it into both the left and the right and caused a code in each respective housing). So I'll be getting ahold of the folks over there tomorrow, unless they see this first, holla at me deAutoKey!

Even with the couple issues I encountered (dead reverse light bulb from the box and weak LED strip adhesive) I'd recommend deAutoKey products for a visual refresh. 8.5/10

And dis. U.S. Millworks plate mount. Verdict: exceptional quality and worth every penny if you're looking to avoid holes in the bumper. Simple install and I'm confident it will remain where I've positioned it. 9.9/10
How are all these LEDs fitted? Is it a DIY job do-able by someone who doesn't have a clue? I mean if i had proper instructions it would be done exactly as.
And if it matters don't have a sheltered garage or area or no tools to lift the car.
Could pay someone to do it but i prefer the DIY nature, the experience and the pride.
Also the car in question is a 2013 mk7 tdi bluemotion.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

petroglyphix

Ready to race!
How are all these LEDs fitted? Is it a DIY job do-able by someone who doesn't have a clue? I mean if i had proper instructions it would be done exactly as.
And if it matters don't have a sheltered garage or area or no tools to lift the car.
Could pay someone to do it but i prefer the DIY nature, the experience and the pride.

While I'm unable to speak to a '13 TDI and its housings ('15 GTI for me), I can say this is the type of job made for a novice. If I remember correctly deAutoKey does not specify GTi, only mk7. I'd bet they're the same.

Every picture here features a "plug-and-play" solution, with the exception of the LED strip in the rear which required a minor amount of ingenuity to run the wiring up the pillar to the original housing. Once done though it fits in the same manner as the stock bulb. It's more of an "ensure it doesn't look like crap then plug-and-play job" for the trunk.

My $0.02: go for it! Personally I had fun opening the nooks and crannies of the vehicle and seeing the behind-the-scenes design. If nervous, I would recommend purchasing DeAutoKey's trim tool kit to ease the process. The tools are designed to help open all housings, peel carpet, trim etc. without damaging anything.

If you'd like some more detailed information I'm happy to provide it. I was considering doing a full on picture by picture tutorial but it ended up being so straightforward that I thought it may come off as slightly patronizing lol

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Can you post a link and/or pics, or at least let me know what the part #'s are, because I went 2 weeks ago to put new blades on and I went to three different places, checked online, etc, and here in the U.S. I could only find one quality brand, but Bosch said that nothing had been allotted for the 2015 golf/gti yet....Id really rather have them so if you can help a brotha out [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately need to source Bosch wipers from Europe still. I got the Aerotwins and have been thoroughly pleased with them. I posted the info here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-Wipers-for-LHD-Mk7-Models&highlight=aerotwin

greatoz

Ready to race!
wasted $35 bucks on ErWin hoping for a series of repair manuals...

bollocks.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

If interested go to my build journal and look at my info on LED install.
Not hard but just take time. Deautokey sells many specific LED bulbs for our cars. Try here for videos on install also.
Worth the effort. :cool:

gchen6850

Ready to race!

DIY vinyl wrap on the gloss back trims on the doors. Was getting fed up with the fact that the piano black surfaces were showing so many streaks and microscratches so I decided to just cover it up with black matte vinyl. Really liking how it goes with the rubber trim

jmargaretis

Go Kart Champion

DIY vinyl wrap on the gloss back trims on the doors. Was getting fed up with the fact that the piano black surfaces were showing so many streaks and microscratches so I decided to just cover it up with black matte vinyl. Really liking how it goes with the rubber trim

Take another full body shot when you're done.

gchen6850

Ready to race!
Take another full body shot when you're done.

Here's a shot after completion. I'll post another during the day tomorrow. Wasn't perfect as i am no expert but overall it was an easy enough job and the results are pretty good and exactly what I was looking for. Took maybe an hour to do plus I redid one panel.

jmargaretis

Go Kart Champion
So u wanted a matte to match with the rubber molding instead of choosing a gloss instead? I think it's easier to pull off on a darker color like yours. Good job. I'll be looking for your post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
Unfortunately need to source Bosch wipers from Europe still. I got the Aerotwins and have been thoroughly pleased with them. I posted the info here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-Wipers-for-LHD-Mk7-Models&highlight=aerotwin

Yeah that link worked but the seller is either sold out or isn't carrying the blades. From what I've found unfortunately in the U.S. Bosch (or anyone for that matter) doesn't have wiper replacements, in any of their blades, for the '15 Golf/GTI. I couldn't find any quality replacement wiper blades for the new Golf/GTI 2015....if anyone knows different please let us know, cause I can't imagine that I'm the only one with this issue....thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeGti

Ready to race!

Great idea!! The piano black trim drives me nuts as well, might have to copy-cat you :)

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
While I'm unable to speak to a '13 TDI and its housings ('15 GTI for me), I can say this is the type of job made for a novice. If I remember correctly deAutoKey does not specify GTi, only mk7. I'd bet they're the same.

Every picture here features a "plug-and-play" solution, with the exception of the LED strip in the rear which required a minor amount of ingenuity to run the wiring up the pillar to the original housing. Once done though it fits in the same manner as the stock bulb. It's more of an "ensure it doesn't look like crap then plug-and-play job" for the trunk.

My $0.02: go for it! Personally I had fun opening the nooks and crannies of the vehicle and seeing the behind-the-scenes design. If nervous, I would recommend purchasing DeAutoKey's trim tool kit to ease the process. The tools are designed to help open all housings, peel carpet, trim etc. without damaging anything.

If you'd like some more detailed information I'm happy to provide it. I was considering doing a full on picture by picture tutorial but it ended up being so straightforward that I thought it may come off as slightly patronizing lol
Cheers, thats something i will def be looking into after my holiday in Sept. to vegas. 1 more thing, i just rembered, is it something that will have to be stated for insurance purposes etc?

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
If interested go to my build journal and look at my info on LED install.
Not hard but just take time. Deautokey sells many specific LED bulbs for our cars. Try here for videos on install also.
Worth the effort. :cool:
Cheers sandman, will have a look