GOLFMKV

2 Doors vs 4 Doors GTI... Let's debate!

2 Doors or 4 Doors GTI?

• Total voters

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Six speeder, I have to agree with electric eye on this one. North Americans seem to like big vehicles for some reason and the proof to that can be seen when you travel anywhere else in the world, even in Australia where they have the room to move, they tend to prefer the small to mid sized vehicles. Not everyone who drives SUVs fits the stereo type that you pointed out with 22" chrome wheels, I was quite surprised that you went there......I had a 2015 4dr Tacoma before I got my MKVII GTI and I got rid of it because I only used it for it's intended purpose once in a while and my wife has an Xterra that fits the needs the truck was intended for.

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
My 4 door Mk7 is my third GTI. The Mk5 and Mk6 were both 2 doors and the Mk7 is a 4 door...for me a mistake. More difficult to enter and leave for me at 6'4" and 77 years. Also looking through the left back window at intersections is inconvenient. When I purchased the car I was looking for the convenience of a 4 door, but did not consider these issues. My bad!

Festivus1

Passed Driver's Ed
I like the looks of the 2 door better, so if I were younger and more agile guy I would have probably bought the 2 door. When I started looking at them, I initially thought that the 2 door would be easier for me to get in and out of since there was a wider door opening, but I found that the 4 door was easier because when i get out I can more easily put my hand on the door pillar behind the seat. (Yeah, I'm old, laugh now because someday it will happen to you guys too LOL)

I find the back seats convenient for loading stuff and occasional passengers, but I pity anyone who has to ride in them for any length of time. With me and another similarly tall person in the passenger seat, it is tough for people to get in the back because they have to lever their feet sideways to get in due to the narrow space between "front seatback" and "Backseat front". It would be OK for smaller folks I think, but alas my colleagues and I are not small people.

Personally I would rather have the back seats easily removable and with the ability to fold completely flat. With some clever tie-downs or rails the practicality for daily use would be greatly expanded. It is heresy to say it I know, but it would be even more practical if the rear doors slid backwards like a minivan door so that the door opening was completely unobstructed, it would be a breeze to load bikes and stuff.

As you can probably tell, I am very much a "function over form" kinda guy....

mhouck

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm a four door guy also. Wanted to be able to easily transport four people. That said, I do really like the 2 doors.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Late thirties, three kids, two doors for me. No question, a hatchback guy for as long as I have owned a DD.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
It is mainly perception and what you are used to seeing. How a 2900 pound golf looks too big to be a 2 door (in mk7) is pretty funny though.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
When I was looking for a GTI, I was set on 2 doors. After not finding a used one in the config I wanted and learning that VW wasn't sending new 2 doors to the states, I reluctantly bought a new 4 door.

Being in my 20s with no wife/kids/responsibilities, I don't really need the extra 2 doors so it was a bit of a bummer. Still, in certain color combos, I think the 4 door can actually look better as it eliminates the dead space in the rear panel.

Would still have preferred my tornado red sport in 2 doors any day.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
The 4-door has the problem of small front windows and less room to put my arm.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
If you have kids, the 4 door is a must. Pulling the car seat in and out of the back seat of my 2 door Mk5 GTI was the last 2 door I ever owned.

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
A proper GTI is a 2-door, 6mt, with pp. 90% of the time my rear seat is folded down.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
No enthusiast buys a 4-door VW unless it's an R.

What is an enthusiast to do when VW goes full retard and cuts the 2 door option to the states? R is not an option when they're selling for over msrp around here.

A proper GTI is a 2-door, 6mt, with pp. 90% of the time my rear seat is folded down.

Agree. I called every major VW dealer in the state, told them to call me if they came across a used 2 door PP mk7, and waited....no call in 3+ months. So ridiculous.