GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

bilagain

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay another question, what 17 inch wheel/tire size combo will work well on both my Golf and a GTI in case I upgrade soon?

bump to this question.

I'm not sure of the weight... My winter set up is a set of MSW Type 22 in light grey, 17 x 7.5 with an offset of 45. Tires on them are 225/45R17. I think the wheel weight is about 19 or 20lbs so not the lightest but I'm adding them here because they do clear my Performance Package front brakes. Did need a centering ring, has been zero trouble. Got them through TireRack.

theBrandler

Ready to race!
Wonder why that is? It's disappointing. I don't know any other manufacturers that make rims like that in 17 inch sizes.

And just curious why you want 9 inch wide rim? You can fit 245s on an 8.5" without issue as I understand it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Wonder why that is? It's disappointing. I don't know any other manufacturers that make rims like that in 17 inch sizes.

And just curious why you want 9 inch wide rim? You can fit 245s on an 8.5" without issue as I understand it.

Because a 255/40/17 is more at home on a 9" rim. Ideally, I'd like to find a way to squeeze on a 265/40/17 so I can have a taller tire too.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Because a 255/40/17 is more at home on a 9" rim. Ideally, I'd like to find a way to squeeze on a 265/40/17 so I can have a taller tire too.

I had a 255/35R18 on an 8.5" rim and it fit without any pinching at all. In fact, BMW had that exact combination as a stock setup on the e90 sedans with a sport package (rim style 162).
While 9" may be a little bit better, I don't think you're going to have any problems at all running the 255 on an 8.5" rim.

theBrandler

Ready to race!
I wouldn't try it on a lowered DD car but some people here have done successfully on dedicated track cars.
If it's not lowered, does 9" rims fit? I've been told 8.5 fits without issue. Putting 255s on these cars is a little nuts. Takes the tire from about 8 3/4 inches wide to 10 inches wide!

That's a lot of extra lateral grip. Does one risk over stressing the stock suspension going that wide? VW fits these cars with low adhesion all seasons on top of the 225 width.

I'd be concerned some pedantic German engineer designed the suspension to only handle a reasonable safety margin above what stresses are induced with the stock setup.

Scala

Ready to race!
I had a 255/35R18 on an 8.5" rim and it fit without any pinching at all.

OK, it has the correct diameter and the rim range is 8.5-10".
What was the wheel model, the offset, was the car lowered and how far did the wheels stick out beyond the fender line? And how about gravel pelting on the paint? I'm not lowered but I prefer to be flush and avoid sanblasting the car.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
If it's not lowered, does 9" rims fit? I've been told 8.5 fits without issue. Putting 255s on these cars is a little nuts. Takes the tire from about 8 3/4 inches wide to 10 inches wide!

That's a lot of extra lateral grip. Does one risk over stressing the stock suspension going that wide? VW fits these cars with low adhesion all seasons on top of the 225 width.

I'd be concerned some pedantic German engineer designed the suspension to only handle a reasonable safety margin above what stresses are induced with the stock setup.

Yes you can run 9 +45 all day long with a 235 or maybe 245 tire. There is 2 dudes running a 265/35/18 on their 9 +45 and use a fair amount of camber to make it fit and if you push the car it will be rub city.