GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

Scala

Ready to race!
Yes you can run 9 +45 all day long with a 235 or maybe 245 tire. There is 2 dudes running a 265/35/18 on their 9 +45 and use a fair amount of camber to make it fit and if you push the car it will be rub city.

You'd have to vinyl wrap the rocker panels ....

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I had a 255/35R18 on an 8.5" rim and it fit without any pinching at all. In fact, BMW had that exact combination as a stock setup on the e90 sedans with a sport package (rim style 162).
While 9" may be a little bit better, I don't think you're going to have any problems at all running the 255 on an 8.5" rim.

I run a 245 on an 8" rim now. There's nothing wrong with a 255 on an 8.5" rim, but the rse16 option for the 8.5" is WAY heavier than my 17x8 OZ. I'd rather find the 9" for a slightly better fitment and try to squeeze on a very wide 255/40. At the end of the day, I'll take an 8.5 if I have to, but I'd prefer the 9.

You'd have to vinyl wrap the rocker panels ....

Or just use masking tape when using the tires...Unless you DD with 245+ track rubber and have a desire to look like you're copying a speedster, haha!

theBrandler

Ready to race!
OZ wheels are light, but so expensive for their flow formed wheels.

I keep looking at cheaper options even though I love the look of the rse10. The price is still high for me. The traklite keep grabbing my attention with their low cost. I could like them if they were flat faced in black , as I love the flat sacred look, but all the light weight wheels have that arched spoke look and I despise it.

Yet they all have that so I keep looking at them hoping it will grow on me, but so far it hasn't.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Crild

Drag Race Newbie

I keep looking at cheaper options even though I love the look of the rse10. The price is still high for me. The traklite keep grabbing my attention with their low cost. I could like them if they were flat faced in black , as I love the flat sacred look, but all the light weight wheels have that arched spoke look and I despise it.

Yet they all have that so I keep looking at them hoping it will grow on me, but so far it hasn't.

Oz because of tuv and all that fun euro stuff is why they are extremely popular.

Nuespeed are pretty cheap otherwise go titan7

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie

If you're not in a rush, you can score a barely used set for cheap. I picked up a perfect set of neuspeed rse102s with pirelli p-zeros (both with under 3k miles) for only $800. Lucky, for sure. But it worked out.

Keep an eye on the forums (found mine on vw vortex) and join the mk7 FB private sales group, 5x112 group, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

Not sure your expectations align with your wallet... I'm all about budgeting, but there are certain things I would never compromise on; Tires/wheels > brakes > fluids. They're either too integral or too inexpensive to be stingy on. $300/wheel sounds pretty fair to me, considering the dealer charges 500-ish for similar.

theBrandler

Ready to race!
Not sure your expectations align with your wallet... I'm all about budgeting, but there are certain things I would never compromise on; Tires/wheels > brakes > fluids. They're either too integral or too inexpensive to be stingy on. $300/wheel sounds pretty fair to me, considering the dealer charges 500-ish for similar.

I don't disagree, but I don't have a way to measure "quality" in this case. Sure Titan7 are forged and all, but I really don't want to shell out nearly $2k for a set of wheels I'm only going to use on the road - especially at the risk of bending one on New England pot holes. I'm still wondering if running 17"s isn't a bad idea because pot holes are a forever problem, not just winter problem here. I've already busted one tire and bent the wheel :mad:

So with forged at the obvious premium of quality, I then have Neuspeed, Enkei, Konig, and Motegi, Sparco, and other's that I'm forgetting that ALL do something similar in their flow form wheels. Who's to say a $600 set of Traklites is of lesser quality than a $800 set of Ultraforms, or a $1000 set of RPF01s or that those are of any lesser quality than a $1300 set of RSe10s - which are 2lbs heavier than any of the others.

That's the rub. I just like the look of the RSe10s, but I have no metric by which to quantitatively asses what is the best value for dollar. Neuspeed does add some piece of mind in that they use completely stock hardware and no center rings, but it sounds like most people use centering rings without issue so that itself might not be worth the extra cost.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I don't disagree, but I don't have a way to measure "quality" in this case. Sure Titan7 are forged and all, but I really don't want to shell out nearly $2k for a set of wheels I'm only going to use on the road - especially at the risk of bending one on New England pot holes. I'm still wondering if running 17"s isn't a bad idea because pot holes are a forever problem, not just winter problem here. I've already busted one tire and bent the wheel :mad:

So with forged at the obvious premium of quality, I then have Neuspeed, Enkei, Konig, and Motegi, Sparco, and other's that I'm forgetting that ALL do something similar in their flow form wheels. Who's to say a $600 set of Traklites is of lesser quality than a $800 set of Ultraforms, or a $1000 set of RPF01s or that those are of any lesser quality than a $1300 set of RSe10s - which are 2lbs heavier than any of the others.

That's the rub. I just like the look of the RSe10s, but I have no metric by which to quantitatively asses what is the best value for dollar. Neuspeed does add some piece of mind in that they use completely stock hardware and no center rings, but it sounds like most people use centering rings without issue so that itself might not be worth the extra cost.

how about enkei ts9, tsp6, or tx5? Those are all 850$/set and have a split spoke type design, similar to rse10.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
OK, it has the correct diameter and the rim range is 8.5-10".
What was the wheel model, the offset, was the car lowered and how far did the wheels stick out beyond the fender line? And how about gravel pelting on the paint? I'm not lowered but I prefer to be flush and avoid sanblasting the car.

I ran them on the front of my 2006 e90 BMW (the exact same size that BMW had put on the rear of my car :D). The car was lowered quite a bit on coil-overs as well.

I can't comment on the effects on a GTI vs. the BMW as for sand blasting the car. My e90 fared quite well.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
So it's a tire thing more than a wheel size? I'm running the Hankook ventus v2 which I believe is the stock all seasons. Which tires are better at preventing rim damage?

going from 18" to 17" you gain 1/2" of sidewall with same tire size, but if you go to a 225/45/18, you gain the same sidewall basically.

All tires have pros and cons. Judging by your concern over a bent rim, it sounds like your priority is on wheel safety. I would talk to tirerack and ask them to help you find a tire with a larger lip in a "performance" tire known to have stiff sidewalls. You'll probably have to give up a bit on tread life or NVH. With stiffer sidewalls, the load is more distributed in the sidewall during the impact, but also travels more into the suspension. The wheel won't feel the impact as much, but you sure will.

You're probably better off defining exactly what your goal is exactly.