GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking doors? Mystery solved

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Noted this earlier. Is this Sailkote a dry Teflon lube? Will look into this.

“McLube” gets some interesting hits on Amazon. Lol

DCCSGMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
I use a combination of dry Teflon spray and drawer tape that I bought on amazon and my doors never creak. I got the idea from BMW forums as they use a 3M BMW branded tape for the same purpose but it’s uber expensive. The tape goes on the door jam wherever felt touches. I only use dry Teflon spray because a ticking rattle keeps popping up near the sunroof and I’m trying to eliminate the door jams as the cause.

TapeCase 423-5 UHMW Tape 1" x 5yds (1 Roll) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00823JF0S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_h7hgBbTGEPD6T

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
One Question!

What do the Dealer use to fix this?. It must be a Service notice about this from VW?.

Bacause of it is so common?!..

The service note is to clean the door seals using Kent Rubber Cleaner, as this prevents noise from the doors... for a bit.

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I use a combination of dry Teflon spray and drawer tape that I bought on amazon and my doors never creak. I got the idea from BMW forums as they use a 3M BMW branded tape for the same purpose but it’s uber expensive. The tape goes on the door jam wherever felt touches. I only use dry Teflon spray because a ticking rattle keeps popping up near the sunroof and I’m trying to eliminate the door jams as the cause.

TapeCase 423-5 UHMW Tape 1" x 5yds (1 Roll) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00823JF0S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_h7hgBbTGEPD6T

You just sold some tape.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Noted this earlier. Is this Sailkote a dry Teflon lube? Will look into this.

Yes.
I used Sailkote exclusively on my MK6 GTI - which creaked way more than my MK7 - though I also lived in an area with far worse roads at that time.
I've used Sailkote, and then switched to a 3M dry lube on my MK7 with no noticeable difference.
Then again, I live in an area with mostly excellent road surfaces.

DCCSGMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
You just sold some tape.

Tip: cut a piece to length and remove the entire wax paper backing before applying for a cleaner application. One my first door, I started with the entire roll and only applied about 8 inches at a time; removing the wax paper as I went. This created creases every 8 inches and looks terrible. The other doors are almost invisible after I changed up my technique.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Yes.
I used Sailkote exclusively on my MK6 GTI - which creaked way more than my MK7 - though I also lived in an area with far worse roads at that time.
I've used Sailkote, and then switched to a 3M dry lube on my MK7 with no noticeable difference.
Then again, I live in an area with mostly excellent road surfaces.

Thx. Ordered off eBay, Sailkote 8oz spray.

??

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Thx. Ordered off eBay, Sailkote 8oz spray.

����

You're welcome!
It's a great product.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Nype and I are going to be rolling around in anti-creak products like scrooge McDuck soon.

Irrigation tubes, Teflon spray, Sailkote spray, TapeCase, Gummi Pflege, Krytox.

I also adore that the title of this thread is "Mystery solved" LOL!

nype

Drag Racing Champion
^ LOL ^

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Nype and I are going to be rolling around in anti-creak products like scrooge McDuck soon.

Irrigation tubes, Teflon spray, Sailkote spray, TapeCase, Gummi Pflege, Krytox.

I also adore that the title of this thread is "Mystery solved" LOL!

I'm right there with you guys. Have tried a bunch of shit. Ordering that tape and some sailkote today too.

BTW, how do you keep the spray from going everywhere?

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I'm right there with you guys. Have tried a bunch of shit. Ordering that tape and some sailkote today too.

Sailkote has got one of those thin red nozzle tubes.
It goes (mostly) where you point it.
Any overspray is just a white powder.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

I painter taped the top of my door below the felt before spraying it with teflon.

alexspeed3

Passed Driver's Ed
dont waste money like me, the only permanent solution is the bmw 3m tape method. I paid over $100 for a big roll and hardly used much and it solved everything. Done right it is unnoticeable and will last for years (this stuff is industrial grade). If anyone is interested I can get you nice deal on it, probably enough for 3-4 cars at least

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Sailkote has got one of those thin red nozzle tubes.
It goes (mostly) where you point it.
Any overspray is just a white powder.

Thanks. I was wondering this as well. I should have it early next week.

I’m still not clear on why I have had temp relief with just lubing inside the flap. Not overly confident that dry lubing the felt will help but...worth a short. At least for science sake.