GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking doors? Mystery solved

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
does anyone have OP's reference point to where the noise was coming from? i am just curious and would be helpful if my car developed this noise.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Is that the door top felt flap? Then yes, that is were I applied the Krytox. Inside the flap.

No. Its the felt the window rests against when it's up. I never even thought about looking at it because the window was always up. The one on top of the door is different, and is where I used to have irrigation tubing inserted to stop the creaking.

Currently I have SuperLube silicon lube in it and it hasn't done a damn thing which I find hard to believe given how slick it is, so I'm wondering if thats really truly the whole culprit.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
No. Its the felt the window rests against when it's up. I never even thought about looking at it because the window was always up. The one on top of the door is different, and is where I used to have irrigation tubing inserted to stop the creaking.

Currently I have SuperLube silicon lube in it and it hasn't done a damn thing which I find hard to believe given how slick it is, so I'm wondering if thats really truly the whole culprit.

You’ve lubed both the inside of the door top felt flap, and the felt that window rests against?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
You’ve lubed both the inside of the door top felt flap, and the felt that window rests against?

I have applied zero lubricant or product of any kind to any felt.

I have only lubed the rubber part under the felt flap on the top door seal. I haven't applied anything to the area I posted about above. I was just wondering if others had or if we know for certain the top door seal is the only problem area.

I really wish the irrigation tubing mod continued to work for me, but failed after about 12 months.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I have applied zero lubricant or product of any kind to any felt.

I have only lubed the rubber part under the felt flap on the top door seal. I haven't applied anything to the area I posted about above. I was just wondering if others had or if we know for certain the top door seal is the only problem area.

I really wish the irrigation tubing mod continued to work for me, but failed after about 12 months.
Lube the irrigation tubing and stick it back in there [emoji16]

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
One Question!

What do the Dealer use to fix this?. It must be a Service notice about this from VW?.

Bacause of it is so common?!..

I haven’t seen any TSBs in AllData about it, my friend Has access to that system and I was poking around in it just the other day. Does not mean at all that it is up to date

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Still noise free after multiple commute days in fairly warm weather.

I haven’t chased down that very slight driver door noise. Need some free time to trial and error. NO rush really leaving the window cracked 1mm.

I’d still like to find that Honda part number in case I need more Krytox at some point.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Still noise free after multiple commute days in fairly warm weather.

I haven’t chased down that very slight driver door noise. Need some free time to trial and error. NO rush really leaving the window cracked 1mm.

I’d still like to find that Honda part number in case I need more Krytox at some point.

Hate to say this but after 2 weeks, and not a lot of driving, the creaking is returning. I may try applying more krytox and onto the felt as well.

Maybe lube AND irrigation tubing is the way to go?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Hate to say this but after 2 weeks, and not a lot of driving, the creaking is returning. I may try applying more krytox and onto the felt as well.

Maybe lube AND irrigation tubing is the way to go?

I thought you did not Krytox the felt, just the groove behind it?

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Mine creaks like an old sailboat. The ONLY time it has stopped entirely is when the inner door jams are dirty. Like most of you, when I wash my car I also completely clean the inner door jams which makes things fairly dry. When there's dirt/dust/etc in there the car is silent, but that felt against clean paint = creakville. Tried the gumi pledge to little effect, but I think I might try to hit the inner door jams with a thick coat of carnuba to make the surface of the paint slick ... no idea how it's going to turn out, but who knows.

Regardless, it's super annoying.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I thought you did not Krytox the felt, just the groove behind it?

Correct. I meant that I hadn’t done the felt. That I may try more in the flap AND also apply to the felt.

This 0.5 oz tube doesn’t feel like it has a lot left and I’m sure felt will sort of soak it up.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Mine creaks like an old sailboat. The ONLY time it has stopped entirely is when the inner door jams are dirty. Like most of you, when I wash my car I also completely clean the inner door jams which makes things fairly dry. When there's dirt/dust/etc in there the car is silent, but that felt against clean paint = creakville. Tried the gumi pledge to little effect, but I think I might try to hit the inner door jams with a thick coat of carnuba to make the surface of the paint slick ... no idea how it's going to turn out, but who knows.

Dry lube your felt - Sailkote.
Wet lube your rubber.

nype

Drag Racing Champion

I may be noticing it more than normal because the car was detailed once our weather improved here, about 6 weeks ago. Hasn’t seen rain since and is mostly garage parked. Door jams are still nice and clean. I don’t drive that much (no commuting).

nype

Drag Racing Champion