GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S2T dsg paddles group buy

Pbrowne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
Issue installing S2T paddles

My steering wheel's leather cover was so tight that it could not be pushed back to allow the paddle pins to be removed. Very disappointing since these paddles are very nice.:(

I've returned them for a refund.

Check that you can access the pins before ordering!

Renck

Ready to race!
My steering wheel's leather cover was so tight that it could not be pushed back to allow the paddle pins to be removed. Very disappointing since these paddles are very nice.:(

I've returned them for a refund.

Check that you can access the pins before ordering!

Mine was like that too (really tight space), so I used a flat screwdriver covered with masking tape to push the leather down a bit to make room to remove/install the pins.

Roothless

Word of warning to anyone with installation problems with the paddles or just trying to get a refund from S2T.

One of my B2 paddles wasn’t machined properly and didn’t shift (left paddle would get stuck and not spring back in position). I took pictures and contacted S2T to see if the issue could be resolved but ended up needing a refund.

S2T is now claiming that because the paddles I returned had a tiny scratch on them that I would need to pay $65 for a refinishing fee subtracted from my refund...on a defective paddle.

I guess this is the risk you take ordering from a small company:mad:

EDIT: Had to issue a refund through PayPal instead since S2T was being unreasonable. Overpriced and terrible customer service, gonna stop recommending them.

Last edited:

MilesToEmpty

Ready to race!
Word of warning to anyone with installation problems with the paddles or just trying to get a refund from S2T.

One of my B2 paddles wasn’t machined properly and didn’t shift (left paddle would get stuck and not spring back in position). I took pictures and contacted S2T to see if the issue could be resolved but ended up needing a refund.

S2T is now claiming that because the paddles I returned had a tiny scratch on them that I would need to pay $65 for a refinishing fee subtracted from my refund...on a defective paddle.

I guess this is the risk you take ordering from a small company:mad:

EDIT: Had to issue a refund through PayPal instead since S2T was being unreasonable. Overpriced and terrible customer service, gonna stop recommending them.

Sounds like you would have won the dispute with Paypal on that. Customer sold a defective item. Vendor lets you return defective item. Vendor then charges you for a damaged defective item.

Vendor just made $65 off of you.

Your post made me not buy their product. My wife would have liked these for her birthday.

LA KINGS

Passed Driver's Ed
wanted to love these and the company but not impressed with their selection or customer service for the price they're asking. If you go to their site and look at some of the neat anodizing they want $400+ for a simple b1 with blue anodizing. bahahahaha. no thanks!! The pinalloys will have to do until a better full replacement cheaper option becomes available

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Sounds like you would have won the dispute with Paypal on that. Customer sold a defective item. Vendor lets you return defective item. Vendor then charges you for a damaged defective item.

Vendor just made $65 off of you.

Your post made me not buy their product. My wife would have liked these for her birthday.

Have you looked into the racingline paddles? IMO they look better, look like they'd be lighter, are one piece, and the target area on the paddle is comparable to the B1, but with a bit more down low. The finishes appear to be consistent with the interiors of the R and GTI too, but I don't have them in hand yet to verify.

I contacted s2t about having the B2 mounted like the B3, and they said no. I asked if they could just sent the paddle to me in two parts, and they told me they use some sort of "special" glue, so no. It wasn't the fact they said no that turned me off, but rather how they addressed the questions. It's a shame since I really like the look of the B2, and I'm pretty sure I can find some epoxy that will compete with "special" glue :rolleyes:.

HicBuda

Ready to race!
I have been shifting and smiling with the B2s for weeks and they are all around excellent IMHO. The only place I can't shift from, hang-dogging off the very bottom of the wheel. They feel right to the hand and shift very smooth. You do drive in manual more with these.

Roothless

Have you looked into the racingline paddles? IMO they look better, look like they'd be lighter, are one piece, and the target area on the paddle is comparable to the B1, but with a bit more down low. The finishes appear to be consistent with the interiors of the R and GTI too, but I don't have them in hand yet to verify

If you ordered the Racingline ones I would love to hear your thoughts on them and pictures when you have them installed. They are the only other paddles I would consider trying after going through all this S2T bull crap.

lowbeta

Threw my B3's in today, only took a few minutes. I didn't disconnect the battery, which had me wondering what an airbag to the chest would actually feel like.. thankfully there were no surprises on that front [emoji14]

Shift feel is nice and positive and they definitely look the business. The top of the paddles are very functional but keep I mind the B3's are pretty compact.

If I had to do it over I would probably try the B1's , their taller profile might fit my natural hand position a bit better.

Definitely an upgrade over stock anyway you slice it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
If you ordered the Racingline ones I would love to hear your thoughts on them and pictures when you have them installed. They are the only other paddles I would consider trying after going through all this S2T bull crap.

I did order some. Waiting for them to come in. For full price s2t vs racingline, I'd never choose s2t, but at discount price I was considering it. I'll throw up a picture when they're in and on. I'll try to match the angle of the previous post with the B1 for a real comparison.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

So I got the paddles in yesterday and installed them. They are not very heavy at all, and feel very solid in hand. I'll get a picture up this weekend, but wanted to note a few things. The Racingline paddles are definitely CNC'd and not machined by hand, so there should not be a single discrepancy between one product and another. On the inside of the paddle where it faces the steering wheel, the CNC routing tip left behind a circular pattern that's visible through the finish, but this doesn't exist anywhere else. The reach, for me, is perfect, and I can shift with any part of the paddle, except for the very inside edge of the bottom. This is a tiny are though, and based on the shape of the paddle, I'd be amazed if anyone ever tried to shift from there. My typical hand position at 9.5 and 2.5 lends itself to a very easy shift.

You lose the light up function of the stock paddles. If it was me, and I was selling a 250$ product, I'd try to find a way to incorporate it. I mean, it's literally just an LED on the back of the wheel, a mirror in the paddle, and a semi-translucent plastic on the stock paddle...not hard to replicate. However, the cutouts for the + and - are rather generous, and you can easily tell what they are at night (hard to confuse this anyway...).

One note for anyone installing any full replacement paddle! DO NOT LOSE THE STUPID PIN! Use needle nose vice grips if you can to pull this sucker out, because my pliers slipped in hand, and I lost the pin for 2 hours! After having an "oh crap" moment and not being able to find the pin for sale on it's own anywhere, I realized the stock paddle assembly comes as a whole unit, for 180$. Luckily my wife was helping me out, listening to my sailor talk, and came up with the idea to use a blow gun with my air compressor to blow it out of the passenger seat (wherever it was stuck). This does, however bring up another thought though; I'm considering buying the paddle assembly on its own, fitting stronger springs, a mechanical actuation switch, and some more robust parts to give the paddles a more "mechanical" feel, closer to what a real paddle feels like.

Roothless

Thank you for the update, looking forward to seeing the pictures! I think what you said about buying your own paddle assembly is the primary reason why I’ve decided to stick with the OEM paddles. The shifting mechanism just isn’t refined or responsive enough to make aftermarket paddles feel worth it IMO. It’s a limitation on VW’s design.

Also, I did the exact same thing with that damn pin :D Lost it for just about 2 hours as it was underneath the passenger seat rails and I had to bend a coat hanger under to try and fish it out haha.

jonnyg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
FWIW, I returned my paddles with no issues, they even refunded original shipping cost.

For me, I didn't like them enough over one paddles to justify spending the money. I wish there was an oem paddles from another model line , Audi, SEAT, etc, that was retrofittable and a lil bigger and nice looking, but I couldn't find any. I prefer the feel of plastic, but thats just me., maybe because its winter...

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Thank you for the update, looking forward to seeing the pictures! I think what you said about buying your own paddle assembly is the primary reason why I’ve decided to stick with the OEM paddles. The shifting mechanism just isn’t refined or responsive enough to make aftermarket paddles feel worth it IMO. It’s a limitation on VW’s design.

Also, I did the exact same thing with that damn pin :D Lost it for just about 2 hours as it was underneath the passenger seat rails and I had to bend a coat hanger under to try and fish it out haha.

yes, these cars are definitely fancy econoboxes with barely any thought put into the paddles. It makes sense though. I drove an '09 and '13 GTR, and they both had cheap feeling paddles too. The paddle itself was okay, but the click and actuation was no better. I haven't tried an R8 with flappy paddles, or a recent Porsche, but I can't imagine they're amazing. The 07 911 I drove wasn't. The only time I've felt paddles that are truly dextrous, has been on a true sequential gearbox designed for racing. It was a $20k transmission, and the paddles definitely felt like it. You could actually feel the shift of the gear when you pulled the paddle.

That being said, I am finding I'm using these VWR paddles more and more, and it's far easier to reach them. My main concern was reach, and these addressed the issue well.