GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance rebuild on IS20

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I have a lot of logs... :D

I was hesitant to put any in this thread until I can get it dialed in properly with George, but if you want, here you go:

Super-conservative top-end logs:
https://datazap.me/u/jybyrd4606/hybrid-92-oct-4th-gear-pulls?log=0&data=1-4
https://datazap.me/u/jybyrd4606/hybrid-92-only-3rd-gear-pulls?log=1&data=1-4-11

The log I am playing with to tweak out the top-end:
https://datazap.me/u/jybyrd4606/log-1509999383?log=0&data=1-3-4-11-14-18-21-25-26-27-28

To respond to the other comment (don't know how to multi-quote):
- It'll rape your stock 6mt clutch if you want it to. The boost hits so hard in 4th at 3k RPM... 3psi to 26-27psi before you can blink.

How many pounds of rubber do you leave behind when that 27PSI hits in first and second gear? :D

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Honestly, I don't think either the p&p or coating are going to be game changers. I think they will help a bit with spool - maybe peaking 300rpm sooner between the two of those.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
The P&P and coating will make a significant difference with turbo blanket, thermal coated DP along with titanium DP wrap. I would have got the turbine clipped too as the stock IS38 wheel is restrictive.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
As of right now, yes. We'll see what additional tweaking brings. I would venture to guess that this hybrid will hold 1-2psi less after 5k than the OE IS38, while bringing the boost on much earlier.

Just for the record - IS38 will do full boost around 33-3500rpm and hold 25.5psi to redline.

afman916

Ready to race!
I would have got the turbine clipped too as the stock IS38 wheel is restrictive.

Would you mind elaborating on that just a bit? I'm not well-versed in the finer points of how turbos work, but I'm reading up and also looking to have GPop shop hybridize the blown IS20 I picked up for next to nothing a few months ago.

If clipping is something they can do and it's worthwhile, I'd love to ask them to include it during my rebuild.

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Would you mind elaborating on that just a bit? I'm not well-versed in the finer points of how turbos work, but I'm reading up and also looking to have GPop shop hybridize the blown IS20 I picked up for next to nothing a few months ago.

If clipping is something they can do and it's worthwhile, I'd love to ask them to include it during my rebuild.
Less backpressure better flow factor. Will allow you to run out(flatten power) of the turbo up to 6800 versus power falling off at 6100-6300rpm.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Less backpressure better flow factor. Will allow you to run out(flatten power) of the turbo up to 6800 versus power falling off at 6100-6300rpm.

Ahh so that would be applicable in drag/high speed scenarios yes?

This is awesome though, thanks Jay. I will be going this route once the clutch is here and installed. Prolly gonna pair it with that Majestic IC that was recently posted up.

@jay_heim sounds perfect. For the type of competition I do I rarely am in a posistion to really get the most out of 4th. Pushing past 110-120 is gonna be hard to do at the tracks I visit so this is perfect. Thank you again for sharing this with us

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie

Any potentially adverse effects, like decreased low end torque or longer spool time? Turbo noob here too, just trying to understand. TIA!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
On such a small turbo with lightweight wheels and today's aero. The old days of clipping will have zero to little effect on slowing spool and will gain more benefits than anything on a small A/R like these units.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Talking with George @ BMS, I believe the restriction in this hybrid is backpressure, as Nelson is describing. If anyone else is going to go this route, I would suggest discussing clipping with GPOP.

I'm not having any issues in 3rd - it runs like a little rapist. At the top of 4th I'm seeing some restriction, 5500rpm+. Keep in mind that I am also JB4-only, so a proper stack or protune might be able to dial out the issues I am seeing.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Forgot to post pictures when I did the swap on Monday. Guess I will point out the obvious.. stock on left, hybrid on right. Now it's time to dial in the tuning.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Is it just the angle, or is the compressor housing bigger on the hybrid?

Can't wait for numbers. Who is doing your tune?

If you are talking about the port on the compressor intake then yes it is bigger, and of course my man Jon at 5150 Tuning is doing the tuning.

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Littco hybrid?
Yeah that is a Littco Hybrid IS20; L450x/L470x depending on size of compressor.