GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
It’s not hyper and worry is overblown IMO.
Thanks, yeah I was unsure how much it impacts BUT I also drive the car maybe 5-7k/year, so reflashing once a year isn't a horrible thing if it were to be a bigger issue. But yeah, if it's not something to be overly concerned about then I'll leave everything as-is since I like being CEL-free.

My car feels like a rubber band under low or quickly shifting powertrain load, should I go in on a full BFI mounts kit? I really think that's the issue but I don't want to go in on a $750 set that isn't what we need.
I went stage 1 engine & transmission and Powerflex hybrid puck, 10/10 love it. I had their products on my mk4 as well and they were amazing.

J.Etter

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone gone from a BFI trans insert to the full replacement mount? Is it a drastic difference or does just the insert in the factory mount get you 95% of the benefit for a fraction of the price?

I will be pairing it with the BFI engine mount and a dog bone insert.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
My car feels like a rubber band under low or quickly shifting powertrain load, should I go in on a full BFI mounts kit? I really think that's the issue but I don't want to go in on a $750 set that isn't what I need.
What do you mean by "feels like a rubber band"? Typically I expect what people describe as a rubber band feeling to be related to how power is delivered, not stiffness in powertrain bushings (unless they're just busted bushings)...

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Has anyone gone from a BFI trans insert to the full replacement mount? Is it a drastic difference or does just the insert in the factory mount get you 95% of the benefit for a fraction of the price?

I will be pairing it with the BFI engine mount and a dog bone insert.
I didn't do it with transmount, but on the dogbone I went from insert to full bushing. The insert was crap and made vibrations horrendous when setting off at slow speeds. It was fine initially but after 2 years it just increased nvh a ton. The solid poly bushing is a lot better. Couple years now with zero major vibrations or issues, but it does make the fan kicking on and off very noticeable because it increased harshness and vibration below 900rpm.

My car sees track use, so it's possible my metal bushing insert saw more load for greater periods of time than typical users and that's why it bent way out of shape faster...

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
What do you mean by "feels like a rubber band"? Typically I expect what people describe as a rubber band feeling to be related to how power is delivered, not stiffness in powertrain bushings (unless they're just busted bushings)...
Appreciate the question. It's not the easiest to translate what I feel in the seat into concepts, without a deep mechanical understanding.
It feels like there's a lurch, with my impression being that the engine has freedom to shift forward and back under inertia. It's most present in 1st gear, which sometimes leads to a cyclic lurching (the rubber band). Imagine I let the clutch fully engage, with light throttle. The lurch goes forward slightly after the chassis goes forward, and then a smaller backwards lurch like it's rebounding before it settles. Sometimes this can become a cycle, for instance if I'm moving on a slight uphill gradient and between throttle and gravity the inertia can't settle. It can feel rough to the point that I either power it forward with throttle to settle it or disengage clutch and let the motion reset.
The feeling is also present when upshifting, particularly the 1-2 but also irksome in faster shifts under strong acceleration.

It's worth noting that I only took ownership in Nov, and at 78k miles there's a whole host of components I want to check for freshness.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
What are symptoms if your pvc breather on top of the engine is going bad?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
oil going through everything and coming out exhaust

Undo your hot side charge pipe from IC and see if oil pours out.
Okay will do. It was a hot start up too after driving 45 min…. Turned car off and after about 1 hr started back up and saw it….dissipated after a second or so, but saw it

I’ll pull plugs too just to borescope heads of pistons after it gets warmed up

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Okay will do. It was a hot start up too after driving 45 min…. Turned car off and after about 1 hr started back up and saw it….dissipated after a second or so, but saw it

I’ll pull plugs too just to borescope heads of pistons after it gets warmed up
I think I see a catch can in your near future.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI