GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dkm stage 3 clutch

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I still need to figure out what size these are. Railroader posted a size a while back, but it didn’t exist when I searched for it

I was excited to install mine so just used the shitty hardware the provided. What blows my mind is that the flywheel bolts are ARP (not to be confused with APR lol), the best you can get...so why’d they cheap out on the pressure plate hardware?

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the heads up. I was hoping not to and now I won't for sure. Lol.

Ok, cool. I'll talk to my installer and see if they can get these before I drop off the car for the install.
If you have a fastenal or any over nuts and bolts store just take one or the little bolts and get about 30 of them

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Now that some of you have had this clutch for a bit are there any other unusual noises associated with it? I've heard that some (or maybe just one person on a facebook group) mention of a howling or whirling sound when you slip the clutch. Some have said this could be a characteristic of a twin disc setup, but for the DKM I have only heard a couple of people complain about this so maybe it's not normal or the luck of the draw.

I'm hoping to join the DKM Twin Disk Clutch Crew sometime in March!

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Now that some of you have had this clutch for a bit are there any other unusual noises associated with it? I've heard that some (or maybe just one person on a facebook group) mention of a howling or whirling sound when you slip the clutch. Some have said this could be a characteristic of a twin disc setup, but for the DKM I have only heard a couple of people complain about this so maybe it's not normal or the luck of the draw.

I'm hoping to join the DKM Twin Disk Clutch Crew sometime in March!
I have not experienced any abnormal noises

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Picked it up last night and man that pedal is so nice. I put the ECS bleeder block and a stainless clutch line in as well and man the clutch has so much feel now.

Gonna put some miles on it today but first impressions are:

Pedal pressure is medium. It's not cable clutch on an sn95 mustang or pickup truck, but it's not super light like the stock clutch. I have had a sintered metallic six puck(exedy hypersingle) and this clutch is not as hard as that.

Bite point is lower, but not on the floor.

It's a little chattery and overall, with the radio muted, you'll hear the diff more(as in you could hear it on the stock dual mass too) and the driveline lash is a smidge more pronounced. Keep in mind I have a dogbone insert(spulen street) so I have a little more NVH than stock.

No more revs disappearing into the cosmos on down shifts thanks to no more dual mass flywheel. With that being said, I understand now why these cars have them stock. People expect cars to be quiet and refined and these transmissions aren't exactly quiet. I'd hate to hear a DSG with a single mass lol. The wife's surprises me quite often with the amount of noise it makes.

Anyway I'm off to add some 900 miles to this thing to see how it holds and what it does under hard driving.

The TL;DR is

Medium effort
Some chatter, not a lot
More noise than stock but still pretty quiet overall

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Millers9673

What are your thoughts on how the clutch grabs for daily driving? Sitting in traffic, etc. I've heard sometimes the twin disk style clutches can feel like an on/off switch making them a chore in traffic.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
What are your thoughts on how the clutch grabs for daily driving? Sitting in traffic, etc. I've heard sometimes the twin disk style clutches can feel like an on/off switch making them a chore in traffic.
These are organic discs so you can slip it easy.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
....ummm... what??

DSG's have dual mass flywheels too.

DSG's are pretty noisy.

I bet they're even noisier when a single mass flywheel is used.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE

Not even in the same realm of an on/off clutch. Very easy to drive once you get used to it. It's not free of noise on initial start up but chatters a LOT less once it warms up. That's also sensitive ears, overall noise level is probably a 3/10 at start and a 1/10 afterwards whereas before it was 1/10 and no chatter afterwards.

Any single disc clutch that's non-organic is going to be exactly that. The clutch pedal is heavy, but there's a few cars out there that have heavier clutches stock that I've driven. Both the 350Z and 370Z are culprits that come to mind.

As I've said before, it's no where near as heavy as the Exedy Hypersingle I had in my Cobalt SS. For reference, the stock clutch in that is about as light as ours.

The Hypersingle is a 6 puck sintered metallic/ceramic disc:

^THIS clutch was an on/off switch, did not slip unless something went wrong, and probably the heaviest pedal I've ever stepped on. Chattered a bit too.

The DKM twin disc is no where near as hard to drive or anywhere near as light switch as the old Exedy I had.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
With almostt 2,000 miles on mine it chattered a bit for the first time. Stabbed the clutch a few times and it went away (sitting at a red light in neutral)

My wife, who’s very picky and outspoken about my car mods lol, didn’t say anything about it so it must not have been too bad

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Oh no believe me that’s not the case lol, she was bitching up a storm when I threw on my dp with the stock resonator and muffler delete...that’s where all my drone free exhaust thread came from