GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Charge pipes thread to end all

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I put in the Neuspeed hi-flo discharge kit or whatever, along with a TMD, and the Spulen throttle pipe. I did this because I was upgrading everything else when I put in my IS38, and wanted to give the turbo the easiest chance to breathe. This was over a year ago now and I haven't had any issues. I definitely wouldn't of done it if I were still on an IS20.

Between all that I can say you hear the turbo more clearly, and I can say that I didn't notice any extra lag coming from the IS20... so I suppose that means it's spooling quicker. However I can't compare much more than that because I did IS38, intercooler, and all charge pipes at the same time.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
i went ecs throttle and outlet pipe and honestly didnt feel a huge amount of difference...only a hair better throttle response...yet to dyno the car as it sits now but i did the intercooler so i figured why not

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Waste of money on an IS20, maybe some benefit with IS38. When I had them I felt no difference other than the pain of removing them twice during my cars repair saga.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Well that is the big debate on this car. APR actually found it "DID" hurt the car. (which the most common thought is due to the rattles causing the car to pull timing from false knock).

I think at that time they where battling with the tunes left and right on the stage 3 so anything out of the norm was blamed so I wouldn't put much weight on that opinion.
The rattle is also a issue especially if its not connected to the OEM bracket. We have solved three cars with this issue that had bad timing.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Aye George,

Just providing what little info we have! Thanks for always contributing with info! Greatly appreciated!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I think at that time they where battling with the tunes left and right on the stage 3 so anything out of the norm was blamed so I wouldn't put much weight on that opinion.
The rattle is also a issue especially if its not connected to the OEM bracket. We have solved three cars with this issue that had bad timing.

I'm assuming if I'm looking at logs, I should be able to see noticeable timing retard if I were having this issue? Currently my logs always see gradual advance of timing so I'm thinking I'm good.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I'm assuming if I'm looking at logs, I should be able to see noticeable timing retard if I were having this issue? Currently my logs always see gradual advance of timing so I'm thinking I'm good.

Correct, the rattle from the downpipes or what ever else is picked up as knock and the timing will step down or stay level. If the timing is advancing with no knock then you should be good.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie

Yes, its noticeable. Another quick test you can do if you have for other guys that are reading with ED or JB4 or anything that can alter the boost level is drop the boost by switching to the lower octane map and see if it persists.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'll be providing driving data on this as well (spool, eurodyne fake power reading, etc..)

stock
uni tip
unitip+EQT discharge pipe kit (w/ oversize TMD)
if changes seen maybe go back to stock TIP and see if it shows any difference. depends on how annoying the pcv line is.

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
Something I'm wondering as well and plan to give a closer look at.

I'll be providing driving data on this as well (spool, eurodyne fake power reading, etc..)

stock
uni tip
if changes seen maybe go back to stock TIP and see if it shows any difference. depends on how annoying the pcv line is.

Please give us updates guys! I'd love to save money if I can :)

Thanks for doing this for us homies!

Calkulin

Ready to race!

stock
uni tip

EQT is finally selling their discharge pipes? How much was the piping & TMD?