GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best tires for me and my GTI

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Falken FK510 have been awesome. Can't speak to wear yet. I can measure tomorrow. But grip and comfort are great. Rare that I can lose traction on corners and when I do, it is gradual and easily reeled in. Learned this going over a hundred on a highway that wasn't too familiar with and the turn was decreasing radius and I was able to threshold brake and scrub some speed off and turn in. There was damn near an incident inside the car but the tires were unfazed. I would say great description is unflappable.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
I too had been wrestling with the decision of 235 v 225 Pilot Sports.

I had seen a few round with 235s 18 & 19 aftermarket wheels and really liked the chunkier stance of them. I saw for the first time a set of 225 Pilot Sports on the stock 18 Austins and I have to say they looked great. The stance and look is pretty dramatically different from the stock Potenzas on mine. They just look bigger and wider, must be just the tread pattern playing tricks on the eye in the Pilot Sports?

vw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI 6-speed
I'm about to buy a 2021 VW GTI Autobahn Edition that unfortunately comes with summer performance tires. The dealer says he can sell me a set of All-Season or winter tires to put on the car in time for me to pick it up. I don't think I need winter tires, so I'm trying to decide on a set of all-seasons. He has Ultra High Performance and Touring tires. I can go with the Pirelli P7 Cinturatos (that come on the SE model) but everyone seems to hate, or I can get Michelin UHP S4's, Good Year Exhilate or Continental Extreme Contact DSW6's. The reviews are all over the place. I want something a little spirited but not noisy and I want the tires to be ok in light snow. What thoughts do you guys have on this??

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm about to buy a 2021 VW GTI Autobahn Edition that unfortunately comes with summer performance tires. The dealer says he can sell me a set of All-Season or winter tires to put on the car in time for me to pick it up. I don't think I need winter tires, so I'm trying to decide on a set of all-seasons. He has Ultra High Performance and Touring tires. I can go with the Pirelli P7 Cinturatos (that come on the SE model) but everyone seems to hate, or I can get Michelin UHP S4's, Good Year Exhilate or Continental Extreme Contact DSW6's. The reviews are all over the place. I want something a little spirited but not noisy and I want the tires to be ok in light snow. What thoughts do you guys have on this??
Don't know how good they are in the snow but Michelin PSAS4.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Don't know how good they are in the snow but Michelin PSAS4.
In light snow. The as4’s feel better than the dws06’s. Surprisingly since the dws06 is solid in light snow.

in several inches of snow. They’re ok. A little slip here and there though. Clearly a proper snow tire would excel here

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
January thru mid-March, I run a set of Blizzaks. They get me through the Maryland winters on the back roads of Harford County, provided the snow doesn't exceed 8" or so. That's not the tires' fault, it's a clearance problem. For non-snow seasons, I have run the stock Pirellis and Goodyears (which suck, but they came with the car). I have bought the AS/3s, the old DWS's and the DWS 06s. They were great tires. I preferred the DWS 06s over the Michelins because of price and treadlife. My last set I bought the Continental Pure Contacts. They are as good as the DWS 06s but have a longer tread life. Great dry, great wet, good in snow, or as good as an all-season tire can be. I currently have about 38,000 miles on this set and will probably get another 10,000 miles on them before I buy the next set. Best tire I have owned. Yeah, you never hear about the Pure Contacts because everyone goes on and on about the DWS 06s. I have no complaints about either one, but I prefer the Pure Contacts.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
nice use of search...I would look for set of all season's (or snows) on CL or Facebook. Odds are dealer will get dealer price....I have bought two mounted sets on CL one scuffed up snows for $300 and one set of nice Conti DWS for $475. I passed on mint Blizzaks for around $500 because 17"

I have room and am willing to store/swap tires idk your room/DIY level

4MoJoe

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf Alltrack S
For my 2021 GTI SE I ditched the P7's (at 1,200 miles) and put the Michelin PS4 AS on the car. Paid $620 at Costco for tires/mount and balance. They are an improvement over the P7's not as harsh and quieter. Don't really need snows here in Tucson. If I did I'd go with the Blizzaks as I had those on my BMW many years ago back in Idaho. The PS4 AS also are quite highly rated on Tirerack.com; even more so than the DWS06

Last edited:

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I’d go with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06, pretty good all-season tire that will be better in snow than most other all-seasons.

vw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI 6-speed
Based upon everyone's input, I'm pretty certain I'm going with the Michelin Pilot All Season 4's. Thanks everyone! Now I just need to decide if I want to buy a second set of wheels to put the Bridgestone Potenza summer tires that come with the car or just sell them given that the Michelins are probably just as exciting in the summer as the Bridgestones.