GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best tires for me and my GTI

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
So my Pirelli's have 5/32 left on them, will probably ride out the summer with them and then toss them next summer. I have heard most GTI people say Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires are great. But all I'm concerned with is dry grip(I love to accelerate hard esp. w/my Stage 1 Tune, and I go around corners aggressively too). So dry grip is number 1 importance and number 2 is tread life. I hate tires that last 20k. My Pirellis have been on from 0k up until now at 45k and they are all at 5/32. So I'd like something like that in terms of tread life. Anybody have any ideas what I should get?

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Ultimate dry grip and long tread life don't go together. Neither does quiet and nice ride. They start out fairly quiet and not to harsh, but after about 7500 miles you'll notice.

The PS A/S 3+ is an all season tire so it might be a bit longer wearing, a bit quitter and bit nicer riding than an all out Summer tire.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
The best treadwear numbers you will get out of a MPS tire are 300-340.
The AS3+ I believe to be one of the best dry grip all seasons you can buy and has a tread wear rating of 500.
Plus they can handle the cold weather and snow.
A MPS tire will not. At least not well at all.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Another option Continental ExtremeContact.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG

Extreme Contact DWS 06. Great tire, highly recommended for an A/S tire. Great wear, great low noise, smooth

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Do you plan to use this number 1 importance dry grip at anything less than 40F? If you do, summer tires don't play too nice when they're chilly. If you have dedicated snows, then spoon on some Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s. But don't expect them to last very long, maybe to the end of the driveway and back.

Summer tires I like are Pilot Super Sports/4Ss, Conti Extreme Contacts, or even the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s (if your thrifty). A/S tires, Pilot Sport A/S 3+s or the Conti DWS06s would get my money.

P.S.-Cheap out on meals out or jewelry for the wife, but don't cheap out on tires.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Do you plan to use this number 1 importance dry grip at anything less than 40F? If you do, summer tires don't play too nice when they're chilly. If you have dedicated snows, then spoon on some Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s. But don't expect them to last very long, maybe to the end of the driveway and back.

Summer tires I like are Pilot Super Sports/4Ss, Conti Extreme Contacts, or even the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s (if your thrifty). A/S tires, Pilot Sport A/S 3+s or the Conti DWS06s would get my money.

P.S.-Cheap out on meals out or jewelry for the wife, but don't cheap out on tires.

I disagree if I'm included in his will.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I always like to throw the BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S into the mix. Typically rated top 3 (#2 behind MPS A/S 3+ on Tirerack). Good price. Best looking.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
These have been good tires for me. Excellent traction, good wear, relatively quiet, good ride, moderate pricing. Turn-in is a little soft.

I would echo your comments as well. Only downside was little softer sidewall which wasnt a big letdown for me.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
To repeat what others have said for emphasis. You need soft summer tires for acceleration and best cornering traction. Soft tread equals short tread life. You are in Calgary so you need winter tires once temps dip below 45F. If you don’t want two sets of tires you need all seasons and the Michelin’s or Conti’s are regarded as the best Ultra High Performance All Season tires.

lokerola

Ready to race!
I always like to throw the BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S into the mix. Typically rated top 3 (#2 behind MPS A/S 3+ on Tirerack). Good price. Best looking.

Just had mine installed today! I'm liking them so far.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

Those Conti's are a solid choice, and would seem to be appropriate for a Canadian climate.

Still connecting to an old AT&T Microcell? In my experience, you'll get better performance just connecting to WiFi than that old turd. Disconnect it and give it a shot - far better performance with iPhone + WiFi than the old Microcell.