GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best tires for me and my GTI

Billy231

I just put the 18" Nogaro rims and the PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ on my 2018 Golf SE. And the first thing is the noise, the droning, you can hear the tires at any speed, but starting at 70 MPH they really are very noisy and don't quiet a bit until close to 75 MPH. I'm a little surprised as I ran A/S 2 on my BMW and never hear anything like this. I don't know if the tires need to break in a bit or they will quiet down but I cannot live with it if it will always be this noisy. Is this normal or expected? I have ready a lot in the forums of glowing reports for the tire but I think the stock Hankooks were much more quiet than this. I bought them at Costco, am sure I could take them back if need be.

I have been following this thread a bit and only have about 175 miles on my new 2017 GTI Sport that came with the Pirelli P7s.
Been driving the car around a bit and haven't really gotten into hitting it to hard yet and the P7s don't seen that bad but know after I break then in a bit I would like something more like the Michelins you just put on but didn't like hearing that they are as noisy as you mention. Surprised that not many have said that here as you stated. That can be damn annoying, yet as someone else said about sidewall, I would think the same size tire with same sidewall height that wouldn't be an issue other than the tires composition in the design if stiffer, that shouldn't make it that noisy where its not really tolerable. For now ill hold onto my Pirellis but I don't like the tire size, definitley needs 1 size up. wish they would make the Nogaros a 1/2" wider. The GTIs need more meat on them. Maybe that 1 size up will give enough sidewall to quiet it down a bit. There is someone here who has done that if you want to search this thread for him and ask.
Good luck. At least Costco takes everything back no questions..

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Austins are said to be 7.75” wide, maybe the Nogaros are the same? Either way, lots of people run 235/40/18 tires on these stock wheels.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I just put the 18" Nogaro rims and the PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ on my 2018 Golf SE. And the first thing is the noise, the droning, you can hear the tires at any speed, but starting at 70 MPH they really are very noisy and don't quiet a bit until close to 75 MPH. I'm a little surprised as I ran A/S 2 on my BMW and never hear anything like this. I don't know if the tires need to break in a bit or they will quiet down but I cannot live with it if it will always be this noisy. Is this normal or expected? I have ready a lot in the forums of glowing reports for the tire but I think the stock Hankooks were much more quiet than this. I bought them at Costco, am sure I could take them back if need be.

As mentioned, you have to consider the wheel/tire size difference. What size were your stock wheels/tires?

Also, you had a different model MPS and I’m sure a different size as well on your BMW. Not to mention, not sure which model BMW, but quite likely had more sound insulation than your VW has.

Billy231

Austins are said to be 7.75” wide, maybe the Nogaros are the same? Either way, lots of people run 235/40/18 tires on these stock wheels.

Yes, from what I have read here the Nogaros are the same 7.75" width. I have to scroll through this whole thread and try and find the member who did the 235s on same wheels and reach out for more info. Even with my stock Pirellis I hear rear road noise and will be adding sound deadening to that spare tire area, which is pretty easily accessed and hopefully that helps some but probably the whole car could use it which is something I don't feel like getting involved with.
I think the 235s will add some much needed rim protection as well.

lokerola

Ready to race!
Also, I've noticed that "high performance" A/S tires tend to be noisier than summer tires. Maybe it's the compromised tread design?

Yea, that makes sense to me. I recently put on BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S tires and they drone quite a bit. It's not terrible (but it's not great either).

They do handle very well for all season's, and it will be interesting to see how they perform next winter. I just got the point that I hated switching out wheels and wanted a one tire solution - so we'll see....

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Yea, that makes sense to me. I recently put on BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S tires and they drone quite a bit. It's not terrible (but it's not great either).

They do handle very well for all season's, and it will be interesting to see how they perform next winter. I just got the point that I hated switching out wheels and wanted a one tire solution - so we'll see....

I only say that because on my last car, it came with Michelin performance a/s tires, and I noticed a dramatic reduction in noise when I switched to Michelin PSS, which has much less tread siping. I'm sure there are other factors at play (rubber compound etc), but since it was two tires from the same manufacturer...

4MoJoe

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf Alltrack S
I had stock 16" tires on the Golf, Hankook Kinergy GT's. My BMW had staggered 18" wheels, the Michelin PS2 was what I ran there.

I called Costco today, indeed no questions asked 30 day drive or return. I have to order another set, then get them put on and take the PS3's into the warehouse to return them for a full refund. They didn't have a lot of choices but I read up on the PS4's and decided to go that route. Little more $ but I guess if they don't work I can return them too. :)

aviatecar

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, I agree. But that makes them a bit more pleasurable to drive on shitty roads. I am willing to give up a bit of stiffness and initial turn in for better overall ride qualities of a slightly softer side wall.

Wait. What about the oem tire warranty? Those tires supposed to last 100k and it not we can claim warranty isn’t it?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yokohama Avid Ascend GT are an excellent combination of traction, handling and wear at a reasonable price of $140 each.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Ditto for the indy 500s. Awesome rubbers for the price.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk