GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

5150 update wait time

crediem_2

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, well if I don’t need anymore revisions Will he send an email that lets me know that I’m done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think one of my other gripes is that he posted that he has a pop and crackle map about four months ago and a lot of people are saying it’s so great I’ve been asking for it for 3 to 4 months and I can’t even get that either.

ashiun

Ready to race!
He has made efforts to improve his turn-around time... from what I know his clientele increased tenfold over a month, then he was bogged down with a weird cold start issue with GTIs and their SAI pumps

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Regardless of his tunes being top notch, good customer service is key to a successful business (in my opinion). If you have shitty customer service, you get a bad rep and lose customers which will eventually hurt your business over time. If his clientele has increased and is too much for him to handle, then he needs to hire help like a personal assistant or some admin assistants.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Regardless of his tunes being top notch, good customer service is key to a successful business (in my opinion). If you have shitty customer service, you get a bad rep and lose customers which will eventually hurt your business over time. If his clientele has increased and is too much for him to handle, then he needs to hire help like a personal assistant or some admin assistants.

He has other guys that work at the shop, he's the tuner. He's not just a VW tuner, that's new. He's the go-to guy for GT-R and Evos in OC. Their shop probably has 15-20 Evo 8-10s and GT-Rs around at any given time. Insanely busy, and he literally works all night long. Again, i hate to sound like a D rider, but I feel obligated to chime in for anyone who might potentially tune with 5150. The juice is worth the squeeze, so to speak. If spitting in my face and calling me fat gets me an extra 10hp(he doesn't do that), I'm game.

spelk3

Ready to race!
Car(s)
‘17 BMW xDrive35i
Jon said that he does Etunes in his spare time. Since he is very good with the MK7 he’s gotten more clients and it’s taking longer.

crediem_2

Passed Driver's Ed
Jon said that he does Etunes in his spare time. Since he is very good with the MK7 he’s gotten more clients and it’s taking longer.

I can only imagine that he has way too many people to handle with the rep that 5150 has. Maybe he needs to limit the amount he’s working on at one time and not continue to take new people or come up with some type of plan that he sends a courtesy email if it takes longer than a month so people don’t feel like they have been forgotten? Or maybe set an expectation when you sign up that it could potentially take 4 to 6 months to complete it.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf

i remember him saying that. As the customer, you've paid for something, so the customer doesn't care when he does it, but that he does it within a reasonable time. His response was basically, he does it when he does.

That's where I stepped back a bit and just went with a OTS.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Yeah so my experience with 5150 sucked as well. I asked him questions before I purchased his tune, such as how long updates would be in between revisions and he told me 1 week. I also told him that I had issues with another tuner that was taking forever to complete the tune and he told me that he understood and would be able to tune my car in appropriate time. I should have known when it took from September to January just for him to get back to me and accept payment. So anyways as soon as I pay, he emails me and says base map will be sent out today. I'm thinking wow this is already looking better than my other experiences. Joke was on me. After that it was like 3-4 weeks between every tune. I think I purchased the tune in January and was only made it to the 3rd revision. And the revisions never came without me having to email him multiple times to ask him what the deal is. I literally had to ask him for the revision every 3 weeks or it would never come. After the first long wait I had a discussion with him telling him I want my money back. I go through paypal to get my money back. He finally contacts me back after ignoring my emails... tells me that he's sorry and he was busy bulk updating the mk7 gti tune base maps... whatever that means. He also tried to tell me his website states no refunds. His website does not state this. Then he tells me that he will be quicker with revisions and this won't happen again. So I'm like ok maybe he'll make things right. NOPE. He just wanted me to think things would be better but instead ended up pushing me past the date for paypal to be able to help at all. So after that I'm like wth, hit him up another 3-4 weeks later and he still gives me some excuse about how he's been sick or on vacation. I don't remember. But come on? For 3-4 weeks? No communication at all. So I tell him again I just want my money back and he's no assistance. I finally end up going to American Express and they get my money back for me. Fuck him. He'll just take your money and hold on to it, and if you're lucky you'll have a full tune half a year later. I was actually warned by another forum user who was selling a cobb AP with a base 5150 tune on it. I had asked him why he would do that and this was his response:

"I emailed Jon and paid 200.00 for the etune in August of 2017. I got the base map within a day and the car ran great on it. I got Jon my logs and a week later got my Rev B map. Mind you I was VERY patient but so much for quicker turnaround. The second map gave me some weird logs and KR was present in multiple cylinders. Jon confirmed this and asked for additional logs. I sent logs on three different occasions. From that point on, nothing, never got another revision. I have an email thread with maybe a dozen emails reaching out for updates from Jon. Every email was answered with a new timeline. " Organizing my email, sending updates this weekend, sending updates on the 22nd, out of town sending updates when I get back. I never got anything. I patiently waited until my post to sell my AP. Due to the KR I essentially ran the base map for 6 months with no new revisions and a string of dates promising updates that never came. Again, every email got a response, but never were they followed through. Finally, when I posted the AP for sale, I emailed Jon and said look man obviously timing isn't right to get this deal done. I acknowledged I had his base map and in a more than fair if not stupid request on my end asked for a 50% refund and we would call it even. That was over a month ago and the only email I have yet to get a reply to. I really wanted to post about my experience as I would do it in an honest way in the interest of seeing no one else gets burned. So in a nutshell, I won't be posting endorsements for 5150. Jon knows his shit, but he obviously cannot support etunes while running his shop at the same time. To answer your original question, 6 months between revisions if you get a tune at all Lol."

Basically that's the same thing that happened to me. I should have listened to the member giving me advice but I was so hung up on the rave reviews of 5150. Either way I won't be recommending them to anyone. Maybe some people are fine with someone taking their money and then dragging their feet with the product they are supposed to provide, but that's not cool with me. I would recommend Stratified. Even though I had some issues with Stratified in the beginning, Alex the tuner was always available and responded to me via phone and email to let me know what was going on.

*I did not proof read this/check grammar.. busy at work but wanted to type this real quick so people would know how they'll be treated by 5150 Racing

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
^this. Way before I even bought my ap I was hitting up tuners to see what they could provide. 5150 was the first I emailed because of the great results I saw. In the initial email I asked clear questions of what info I wanted. I figured I was entitled to them seeing I'd be spending my money for a service. Nope lol the exact response I get is "search Facebook for the 5150 vw group". Yep that's it. No hello no goodbye. Search FB. I then say I don't have a Facebook. Then I get an email that just says "OK, what do you want to know?". I never responded after that. I don't have time for that bullshit. I then emailed freektune, stratified, and maperformance. Ended up buying my ap from map and getting my etune from stratified as my thread on here is documenting. I understand being busy. When I first started my process Alex was emailing me twice a week with revisions and always emailed back if I had questions. It slowly got longer but never more than 10 days and that's only been over the last 3 weeks because they are so slammed now with business but if you email him or call him with a question he will answer you asap. That's what you pay for, a service and great customer service.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I asked some questions in a 5150 thread about why they don't have a website and only used facebook (I also don't have a facebook account) and it just felt very odd to me.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Jeff Evans tuned my old car and it was amazing. I have interacted with him in person and via phone/internet. Watch his videos on YouTube. His knowledge and trouble shooting are amazing. Watch his videos and you’ll be able to appreciate it. One of, it not the best tuners out there. Jon @ 5150 can’t hold a candle to him. This is just Jon trying to throw shade at other tuners which he has done multiple times with other tuners. The reason he was caught was bc his following was so huge and word got out.

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Race parts? Good lord. I’d like to hear that whole story, but when you’re modding in this case to 400 hp let’s say, and they’re selling brand new, street legal cars today with double that...gimme a break.

But I guess that explains the legal disclaimer about “off road, race only” on my tune.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Jeff Evans tuned my old car and it was amazing. I have interacted with him in person and via phone/internet. Watch his videos on YouTube. His knowledge and trouble shooting are amazing. Watch his videos and you’ll be able to appreciate it. One of, it not the best tuners out there. Jon @ 5150 can’t hold a candle to him. This is just Jon trying to throw shade at other tuners which he has done multiple times with other tuners. The reason he was caught was bc his following was so huge and word got out.

Race parts? Good lord. I’d like to hear that whole story, but when you’re modding in this case to 400 hp let’s say, and they’re selling brand new, street legal cars today with double that...gimme a break.

But I guess that explains the legal disclaimer about “off road, race only” on my tune.

Being a native Californian, I think you both are underestimating the craziness of some of California's laws... Burger Tuning can't sell JB4s/JBwhatevers in the state in which they are incorporated and operate...