GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI/GTD seat belt buckle noise

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all, this is my first post in this forum but I’ve been visiting it daily since I ordered my first VW. I enjoy my GTI every time I go for a ride or simply go to work, it’s a good weapon as you all know and especially effective with DSG. My sister has a 1.6 TDI MT and she is really happy with it.

Unfortunately, I’m suffering a very annoying noise in my GTI coming from the front seatbelt buckles that can be heart while driving fast in thigh corners or even in a roundabout where the driver/passenger moves due to G force.

http://youtu.be/orHy-OCffB4

From my point of view this noise is originated by the contact between the seat belt buckle and the seat clothing. Here is a picture showing the wear the buckle is causing to the clothing. The funny thing is that two other GTI sold by the same dealer have the same problem, but it seems that I’m the first customer to complain about it and they say there is no solution to this. In my opinion, the buckle is positioned too forward but the dealer says it can’t be adjusted.

What do you think? Is there anyone with these seats with this noise?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 2,351
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,815

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Some options to make it quite.

My wife's Malibu had same problem with leather seats.
Two options:
They make shoulder pads that are to go on seat belt to pad your shoulder when wearing. It wraps around and velcro's in place. I found a gray swade one that matched interior. The swade also did not make noise against seat. It fit over buckle and down by floor so barely visible. Go to car parts store or auto section walmart.
Second option. A product called "Drop Stop". Seat gap filler. It is black, neoprene, made in shape of hot dog. It has a slit the slide over buckle and you push down between seat and arm rest. Walmart carries or google " drop stop for cars". Main purpose is to keep stuff from falling between seat and arm rest. But could also pad buckle and help reduce noise.
Post how it works if you try.
Either should help. I have seen shoulder pads with GTI logo before if you can find on internet.

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
My wife's Malibu had same problem with leather seats.
Two options:
They make shoulder pads that are to go on seat belt to pad your shoulder when wearing. It wraps around and velcro's in place. I found a gray swade one that matched interior. The swade also did not make noise against seat. It fit over buckle and down by floor so barely visible. Go to car parts store or auto section walmart.
Second option. A product called "Drop Stop". Seat gap filler. It is black, neoprene, made in shape of hot dog. It has a slit the slide over buckle and you push down between seat and arm rest. Walmart carries or google " drop stop for cars". Main purpose is to keep stuff from falling between seat and arm rest. But could also pad buckle and help reduce noise.
Post how it works if you try.
Either should help. I have seen shoulder pads with GTI logo before if you can find on internet.

Thank for your useful tips, but I think that it should be solved by the dealer. It's unacceptable in a brand new car that costs around 30k...

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Your option

Thank for your useful tips, but I think that it should be solved by the dealer. It's unacceptable in a brand new car that costs around 30k...

Not sure what they will do. As you stated, your issue is rubbing. To prevent one needs to isolate one item. I do not know of anything I have ever seen in a new car that would help this unless you try options as I suggested. Be careful what the try, might not look as good as options I suggested.
Let us know what they do I trying to fix.
I am curious.

Last edited:

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
Mine does the same. Kind of disappears if you move the seat height but then you lose a comfy seating position. Haven't been back to dealer yet but will do. I'm in a September 13 gtd.

Sjacko20

Ready to race!
Always wondered why our Volvos had a piece of furry material on the back of the buckle where it touches the seat, guess this is why.
Try temporarily putting a piece of material between seat and buckle, if it stops the noise maybe get some self adhesive material or double sided tape and stick a small piece of material to the buckle.

Tyler Durden

Ready to race!
You may get a wider audience if the thread title was not limited to GTI & GTD. The seat belts and buckles are identical throughout the entire Golf MK7 range, cloth and leather is also common throughout the entire MK7 Golf range.

One suggestion is to corner more sensibly, sounds like you are cornering too hard / fast.

scientificharmony

Ready to race!
One suggestion is to corner more sensibly, sounds like you are cornering too hard / fast.

LOL Listen to this guy ^^^ Is he a driving Instructor?

I'd say its an existing problem across the Golf range. We have the same noise in our SE, but can be overcome when loud music is played :D

Tyler Durden

Ready to race!
LOL Listen to this guy ^^^ Is he a driving Instructor?

Lots of idiots here speeding around corners, crossing the centre line and smacking head on with oncoming vehicles, often resulting in death of the idots speeding and the other road users, frankly I am sick of this behaviour on the roads.

If you want to hoon about, go to a track.

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
You may get a wider audience if the thread title was not limited to GTI & GTD. The seat belts and buckles are identical throughout the entire Golf MK7 range, cloth and leather is also common throughout the entire MK7 Golf range.

Hi Tyler. I'm pretty sure this issue only occurs in GTI/GTD seats because of the "racing" shape of them, they are known as "Clark" but leather seats have the same shape.

My sister's Mk7 doesn't have this problem just the opposite, the buckle is far away from the seat in all seat positions. The buckle does not look the same installed in an ordinary MK7 than in a GTI/GTD. Maybe the following picture helps you to understand what I meant when I said "In my opinion, the buckle is positioned too forward but the dealer says it can’t be adjusted":

Attachments

• 2014_volkswagen_golf_gti_performance_launch_review_04-0410-450x240.jpg
    2014_volkswagen_golf_gti_performance_launch_review_04-0410-450x240.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 2,501

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine does the same. Kind of disappears if you move the seat height but then you lose a comfy seating position. Haven't been back to dealer yet but will do. I'm in a September 13 gtd.

Sorry to hear that :(

The driving position must not be compromised by this noise. I firmly think that the buckle design and shape is exactly the same as in a standard MK7. If you take a look to the picture I attached in my previous reply you may realize that the buckle is too forward and I even think that it doesn't fit completely to our pelvis as in all other cars I have driven.