GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
My concern would have been with tricking the camera into thinking it was calibrated when it wasn't. Surely if it won't calibrate normally then it isn't safe.
Yea there is a reason the camera cannot accept a 2.5 degree offset, it means it needs fixing.

Im waiting on my new 3dprinted bracket ( was delayed in the mail) and i will make it perfect.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys,

Just checking back in!

Sadly I haven't had time to work on my car anymore (by the time I get home from work its too dark, wet and cold still at the moment!) but I've still been regularly watching your progress.

I can't believe you both had bad luck with the angles and offset. All these drive2 posts would make you think you can stick the camera with a piece of tape at any angle and it will be good!

The most I've done is make and print a very basic angled holder to test mount the camera (without the housing and circuit board, this can still go above the reading lights). But until I get chance to connect my harness up I can't test it out. I based the angle mainly on the angle of the camera housing (the bit where the heater sits) however after reading what you have to say, that probably won't be accurate enough, I should just order a heater element too.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hi guys,

Just checking back in!

Sadly I haven't had time to work on my car anymore (by the time I get home from work its too dark, wet and cold still at the moment!) but I've still been regularly watching your progress.

I can't believe you both had bad luck with the angles and offset. All these drive2 posts would make you think you can stick the camera with a piece of tape at any angle and it will be good!

The most I've done is make and print a very basic angled holder to test mount the camera (without the housing and circuit board, this can still go above the reading lights). But until I get chance to connect my harness up I can't test it out. I based the angle mainly on the angle of the camera housing (the bit where the heater sits) however after reading what you have to say, that probably won't be accurate enough, I should just order a heater element too.

You will finish it eventually, and when you do, we will have the answer for the dynamic calibration so it wont be a problem anymore.

I Think the static calibration angles arent the real angles, when the dynamic calibration begins the camera calculates the real offset, so the way i am going to try is making sure the camera is as perfectly aligned as possible and calibrate it, then go to the highway and let the camera tell me the offset, after coming back i will do that again to make sure the camera did not move and the angles are the same, then i will adjust the screws that hold the camera to the bracket to get a really precise correction and go for a drive again, after that i cant see any reason that the camera will not work, but the most important thing in all this is to make sure the camera does not move a mm.

you have to get the heater for the correct angle with the windshield, which will get the pitch offset to about 0.0x offset.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
i made this in 4 hours, its test , i am printing the 3rd now

i hope it will work , if it doesnt , then i have to see the parameters of the camera
It will not work until the camera is in the height range.

gc9n

Ready to race!
i was always typing for the arches the true height value , front 745-rear 745 etc
i will try to increse the values by 10mm or by 5mm until she is happy for the height

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
i was always typing for the arches the true height value , front 745-rear 745 etc
i will try to increse the values by 10mm or by 5mm until she is happy for the height
You can, but then the offset for the camera height would be too high and the dynamic calibration will fail.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Let me first get to that point!

i start to doubt also that Pio succeded in dynamic calib.

If i make ti through it you can try a 3d print bracket
You will, dont worry.

Well me too, but he made sure all the angles are perfect so thats probably the reason.

gc9n

Ready to race!
I just did again the Calibration the Height is fixed!, i had to enter 830mm instead of 730mm and now i get another error

The yaw angle is outside the setpoints.
(TARGET: -2.85 ° — 2.85 ° IST: 3.205 °)

The pitch angle is outside the setpoints.
(TARGET: -2.85 ° — 2.85 ° IST: -7.943 °)

i think i have to play a little with the calibration board
it was just hanging on an nail ,

expaination of angles

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Well, i am kind of done, just need to adjust the camera to sit in the exact position.

doctor

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Update

Here are all the parts I Will buy:
Bracket (link is at the top) ~ 85$
Camera 3Q0 980 654 G ~ 80$
Camera heater ~ 20$
wiring (off aliexpress) ~30$
New trim pieces. ~ 40$
Glue and paint ~40$

Total cost of ~ 290$

It may seem like a lot to you guys, but This price is so cheap for me. A DAP Windshield in my country will cost way over 1200$. VW Wont Install it for me and the only way to get a DAP Golf is to buy a brand new one, so this is perfect for me.

If you change windshield, heater will come with windshield. ;)

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
If you change windshield, heater will come with windshield. ;)

After a bit of research, I Found out that it is not possible to get a DAP windshield for my car at all in my country, i will need to buy one and have it shipped to my country which will be way over the price of replacing mine with a regular one.