GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Hi Reaper, if your offset is off by 1x, how did you say that it's working great ? Other than lane assist, what does it do ?

Traffic sign recognition ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hi Reaper, if your offset is off by 1x, how did you say that it's working great ? Other than lane assist, what does it do ?

Traffic sign recognition ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Traffic sign and high beam assist dont need the calibration, they look everywhere basically xD

The problem is the dynamic calibration that is performed on the road with clear road markings in a certain speed and the camera learns as you drive more.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow, great to see an update on the thread.

Sadly, no progress still for me, been to busy with work this time :rolleyes:

Reaper, what a great idea!
To think we have all been using 3D printers to make brackets... How do you level the print bed? ...With adjustable screws and springs!
I think you may be onto something here, this way you can have a bracket solidly mounted to the mirror, but still have the adjustability. It can also be very accurate, making minor adjustments until the calibration is happy with the offset. :D

What springs to use, is a very good question, I have no idea what to look for unfortunately... but 3d printer kits/designs may be able to help (of course for this the springs would need to be much smaller though).

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Wow, great to see an update on the thread.

Sadly, no progress still for me, been to busy with work this time :rolleyes:

Reaper, what a great idea!
To think we have all been using 3D printers to make brackets... How do you level the print bed? ...With adjustable screws and springs!
I think you may be onto something here, this way you can have a bracket solidly mounted to the mirror, but still have the adjustability. It can also be very accurate, making minor adjustments until the calibration is happy with the offset. :D

What springs to use, is a very good question, I have no idea what to look for unfortunately... but 3d printer kits/designs may be able to help (of course for this the springs would need to be much smaller though).

damn, hopefully you'll have some free time soon.

yea, its really convenient, everything is pretty much spot on and i will never get to that level without it.

I Think thats the only way to get it as OEM as possible, I Will try to get the angles to about 0.3x and go for a drive on the highway.

I Ordered a spring that its inner diameter is a bit bigger than the screw so it wont move a lot, but I Dont know if it has enough force to push against the screws so the bracket doesnt move.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I have a suggestion. why doesn't somebody go to the junk yard and gets a OEM mounting?

then send it to somebody really specialized in 3D printing so they can replicate it...

I know nothing about 3D printing, I will replace the windshield, but if there was a way to have just the factory mounting, I would try happily try that first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I have a suggestion. why doesn't somebody go to the junk yard and gets a OEM mounting?

then send it to somebody really specialized in 3D printing so they can replicate it...

I know nothing about 3D printing, I will replace the windshield, but if there was a way to have just the factory mounting, I would try happily try that first.

But where would you put it? The whole idea here is yo make everything look clean and that bracket wont fit inside any cover.

And that was the idea at first but you cannot get that bracket anywhere in my country.

Last edited:

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
what do you mean where would you put it? in its place of course, then you can just buy the proper cover from a dealer, it's stupid cheap.

bigger issues would be figuring out how to detach the current rain sensor bracket and how to paint the windscreen area black. the mirror needs to be replaced as well, different mounting.

I can get a mounting from a broken windshield and ship it if needed.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
what do you mean where would you put it? in its place of course, then you can just buy the proper cover from a dealer, it's stupid cheap.

bigger issues would be figuring out how to detach the current rain sensor bracket and how to paint the windscreen area black. the mirror needs to be replaced as well, different mounting.

I can get a mounting from a broken windshield and ship it if needed.

I wish it was that simple, i wanted to do this but with the newer bracket. Tho i missed something, if you have only a rain sensor ,the entire area around it is blacked out( which cannot be removed) and full of dots that would block the cameras view of the road.

The camera will be way off to the right and that looks bad.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Sounds like replacing the complete mirror with the mounts (and the matching RLS and Rear View Mirror) will be the way to go...

I am hesitant to take that route, because of the cost and the fact that my mirrors needs replacement at least once a year due to chips and crack., dont want to go through the constant re-calibrations everytime a mirror is replaced.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Sounds like replacing the complete mirror with the mounts (and the matching RLS and Rear View Mirror) will be the way to go...

I am hesitant to take that route, because of the cost and the fact that my mirrors needs replacement at least once a year due to chips and crack., dont want to go through the constant re-calibrations everytime a mirror is replaced.
You cant replace it, Its either a windshield swap or the camera and the wires will have to be exposed.

My idea works, im just making final adjustments to make it perfect.

The Zipties and the exposed cable are there because im still testing it.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
You cant replace it, Its either a windshield swap or the camera and the wires will have to be exposed.

My idea works, im just making final adjustments to make it perfect.

The Zipties and the exposed cable are there because im still testing it.

Great Job !

Those springs looks like the ones taken out from the AA/AAA battery holders :)

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Well, i got it to work.

The Adaptive lane guidance works perfectly, my method of using springs is what made it work.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
can you provide more information, as to how to replicate your mounting, with a parts list, dimensions, etc. ?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
can you provide more information, as to how to replicate your mounting, with a parts list, dimensions, etc. ?

Sure.

What i did different was print two of these brackets ( https://mega.nz/#!1BQ3gSQD!Iummanpum_LD0vJxuK_g5BJTfhEtYdv5XOGrSi9B_3Q )

then you need to buy M2.5 bolts, nuts and i used Springs from a TV Remote.

you then insert the 4 bolts through the first bracket and tighten the the bolts with 4 nuts so the bolts wont move.

after that you mount the bracket the mirror using a screw, you slide the springs and the second bracket right after.

then take another 4 nuts and tighten them enough to keep everything in place (while leaving room for adjustment)

that was the easy part, now you need to calibrate it, you might need to play with the angles of the camera a bit until it will let you calibrate and try to get it as close to 0.0x offset as possible.

and when you go for a drive and get the dynamic calibration results (Which is the ACTUAL offset ) you adjust the position of the camera accordingly.

for example if the pitch was 0.00 offset and the dynamic calibration told you it was actually 2.7 then you need to get it to around -2.0 so the actual angle is now ( 2.7-2.0=0.7 which is fine.) and i think above 2.5 offset the dynamic calibration will fail.