GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Was modding your car worth it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 137012
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 137012

Hey guys,

I know this is completely prospective BUT in your opinion why or why NOT was the countless hours and dollars you spent on your TSI,GTI, or R worth it?

Would love to know your experience as I am a new MK7 owner!

POST PICS of your FAV or LEAST FAV thing you've done :D

Last edited by a moderator:

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Engine mounts, chip, tires. Absolutely

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Intake, JB1, badge swap, footwell LEDs, tint, wheels, tires, various cosmetic mods, exhaust. 100% worth it. It makes the car your own instead of "hey its just a normal old GTI"

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Holy shit yes.

The only place I'd drive a stock GTI is the dealership to trade it in.

I have about $5k in mods. Worth every penny, there's nothing in the $30k range that comes anywhere close to it's performance.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
to me its more about tinkering and making the car my own, regardless if its worth it or not.

tknj99

Ready to race!
Holy shit yes.

I have about $5k in mods. Worth every penny, there's nothing in the $30k range that comes anywhere close to it's performance.

I think this is the key statement.. under $1k in mods so far.. i've thought about those high powered muscle cars but you have to approach upwards of 40k to get that power and that to me is a lot of money compared to the bang for the buck this $25k car can give..

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Holy shit yes.

This is true!

Stage 2 GTI can easily put up a fight with cars costing $$$ a lot more!
Stage 3 GTI / R can put down mind blowing numbers for the cost

Totally worth it!

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I’m keeping my build light.

Honestly the older I get the more frustrated I’m getting with FWD. This car is so good up to 80% then it all falls apart, especially when accelerating out of corners.

So seeing this car as a fun and practical new car with warranty and a reasonable cost. Once I don’t need my back seat I will def be switching back to a BMW coupe or potentially an R if they have a sunroof and dealers aren’t acting that they are God’s gift to mankind. :D

Hockey

Ready to race!
Like other people have said, there is something very satisfying in taking a car like the GTI and making it your own. For some it's just about performance but for me it's about creating something for myself. It really depends on who you are to ask if it's worth it. For example: To me it's definitely worth it. To my girlfriend it's a stupid waste of money.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Lowering the car --- Looks better
Stage 1 tune ---- faster

I'm happy... and stopping there.

Very solid route. The car doesn't look half bad with the Austins when it's lowered either

nuSchule

Ready to race!
Resounding "Yes" from the perspective that I don't daily my GTI. More power than needed, loud, NVH, unwanted attention from local riffraff...

Resounding "No" IF it were my daily, I would have probably stopped a long time ago... which, by default, means I would say the majority of the mods were not worth the time and/or money.

A properly dialed-in suspension, tires and stage 1/JB4 would be an absolutely perfect daily driver, in my opinion.

local

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19R
After building a handful of cars that quickly became a nuisance to drive and maintain, I've come to terms with just building modest cars with minimal maintenance requirements.

I'm pretty happy with where my GTI is right now as i just fill it up with the necessary fluids & drive without any worry. I dont have to worry about knocking or monitoring different parameters constantly which can get annoying and eventually drain the enjoyment out of a daily driver.

JB4 w/ different fuel maps (91,93, e30, e30+meth)
BMS WMI
APR catted DP
Remus catback exhaust
Drop in filter w/ modified stock box
Eibach springs + 17.5mm spacers all around
Eibach RSB

311whp/ 343wtq on a mustang dyno. simple & effective. The mods that made power cost me less than $1k combined for nearly a 100hp/100tq gain. Cant complain about that :)

A2MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
HELL YEA

This was my first stick shift car and let me tell you I stalled 8 times IN FRONT of the dealer before even leaving the lot XD, but when you have great car buddies to laugh at you give you the most motivation LOL! I wanted a WRX but man let me tell you. I love my 2017 MT mk7 GTI white. I Am currently stage 2 yet to Dyno. The look on peoples face when you put 2-4 car lengths on them is priceless. I've yet to have a good run with anyone except Sunday on the 22 freeway with a modded STI :). currently I have MAP intake, MAP Catless downpipe, CTS TIP, COBB AP with MAP stage 2 tune with Boomba weighted shifter. love my car and cant wait for future mods.

Hey guys,

I know this is completely prospective BUT in your opinion why or why NOT was the countless hours and dollars you spent on your TSI,GTI, or R worth it?

Would love to know your experience as I am a new MK7 owner!

POST PICS of your FAV or LEAST FAV thing you've done :D

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
to me its more about tinkering and making the car my own, regardless if its worth it or not.
This is very much the same with me. The act of installing new parts and tuning the car to more closely match my tastes is the most satisfying part about this.

Kind of reminds me of when I used to play with legos as a kid. Except this one is a lot more frustrating at times, and can cost me thousands if i mess it up.