GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best thing to spend $500 on?

Dabeats9

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2017 GTI PP/6 spd, and I have around $500 to make it a better car but for the life of me I'm not sure what I should spend it on. Also no performance upgrades for me cause I'll be doing tune, exhaust, intake, and clutch all at once here at about the end of the year.

I'm stuck between either a raceseng shift knob $150, DG short throw shifter $189, and a couple and exterior bits or Emmanuel design springs and sway bar $450 and exterior things again. The thing is I think the GTI stock handles really well but sits wayyy too high, but the stock shifter is quite numb and vague.

What should I do?

JLgti

Ready to race!
If you're gonna tune your car in the near future I'd consider replacing all your mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
All three BFI mounts. Hands down the most important thing to do before adding power.

I got the engine mount and trans insert along with the dog bone insert...no reason to buy a "complete" trans mount since it's just a new OEM one with the insert already installed.

034 or any other aluminum insert will bend and or crack...no bueno

I've had them for 40,000+ miles in my mk6 & mk7 gti

Also, ik someone started a rumor that these cause excessive NVH...either they do tons or ecstasy or only drive their car up 12% grades in reverse with the AC on, because the increase is equal to any vibrations a bone stock non greman car would make (think Toyota or Honda)

Last edited:

Dabeats9

Passed Driver's Ed
Great suggestions but I heard that the 034 mount was the best because all the polyurethane mounts like BFI and spulen will split and tear over time, so catch 22. I'll just go with the full HPA dogbone mount insert.

JLgti

Ready to race!
I've rode in my buddies gti with stage 2 BFI mounts ( all 3 replaced ) and vibration is not bad at all.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Great suggestions but I heard that the 034 mount was the best because all the polyurethane mounts like BFI and spulen will split and tear over time, so catch 22. I'll just go with the full HPA dogbone mount insert.

I've never seen any evidence to support that. I've personally driven over 80,000 miles with these between two cars with zero issues.

Are those BFI stage 2 or stage 1 mounts? I want to go stage 2 but it might have too much NVH

Stage 2..it's no worse than a bone stock Japanese or American economy car. Aka not bad at all

I've rode in my buddies gti with stage 2 BFI mounts ( all 3 replaced ) and vibration is not bad at all.

This. Even my wife (who loves to complain about my car mods) doesn't think anything of my mounts. If I never pointed them out she'd never know

tgil99

Passed Driver's Ed
Lowering springs (Racing Line are the least aggressive/lowered) will change the handling even during regular driving, but will really notice the , I positive changes during spirited driving. Iwould suggest realignment as well.
Obviously it positively changes the stance/look.

Good luck.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I agree tires make a great improvement, but swapping them prematurely is a waste of money IMO

So is buying a car that is going to depreciate 50% in 3 years.

I replaced my stock tires within the first 5 days.

I sold my crap Conti tires for $300 and the new MPSS tires were $850.

For $550 I got 2-3 years of enjoyment out of my car instead of sliding around on noisy tires that don't grip.

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
So is buying a car that is going to depreciate 50% in 3 years.

I replaced my stock tires within the first 5 days.

I sold my crap Conti tires for $300 and the new MPSS tires were $850.

For $550 I got 2-3 years of enjoyment out of my car instead of sliding around on noisy tires that don't grip.

I can see both points but for $500 - the positives for tires outweigh any other bang for the buck mod out of the box.

Lowering springs (Racing Line are the least aggressive/lowered) will change the handling even during regular driving, but will really notice the , I positive changes during spirited driving. Iwould suggest realignment as well.
Obviously it positively changes the stance/look.

Good luck.

--OP can only do suspension related mods <=$500 if he does his own install.
btw VWR's are not the least aggressive/lowered.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I have a 2017 GTI PP/6 spd, and I have around $500 to make it a better car but for the life of me I'm not sure what I should spend it on. Also no performance upgrades for me cause I'll be doing tune, exhaust, intake, and clutch all at once here at about the end of the year.

I'm stuck between either a raceseng shift knob $150, DG short throw shifter $189, and a couple and exterior bits or Emmanuel design springs and sway bar $450 and exterior things again. The thing is I think the GTI stock handles really well but sits wayyy too high, but the stock shifter is quite numb and vague.

What should I do?

Deautoled.
034 rear sway bar for your other issue.