GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vwr lower engine mount install

funvw5

Ready to race!
Considering the vwr lower mount kit for my gti. Can't seem to google anything on the installation of the upper portion though, so I thought I'd ask around.
Y'all have any information on it?

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
The top and bottom are the same type of bushing that sandwich the torque arm. So the process should be the same with the exception of possibly moving the front sway bar.

Have you found any reviews?

funvw5

Ready to race!
The top and bottom are the same type of bushing that sandwich the torque arm. So the process should be the same with the exception of possibly moving the front sway bar.

Have you found any reviews?

I contacted Racingline, they suggested removing the subframe & having someone pressing out/in the old/new parts. That's probably a bit much for my garage to handle?
Haven't seen any reviews, just thought for 50 extra bucks you get the whole mount replaced.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yup...gotta remove the subframe

I did the Racingline mounts on a MK6 before....we put them in the freezer (to contract them a little), then lined it up & used a block of wood and a rubber mallet to insert it into the subframe (no press needed).
It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Look at the Revo mount. There's a video shopdap posted and it didn't require removing the subframe... just 2 of the front sway bar bolts.

nal

Ready to race!
yes subframe needs removing.I am on this mount for almost 2 years now,it will makes for a tighter car more so for a two wheel drive gti than an R.there is minimal vibration only momentarily at cold start then it is smooth without any grr so your teeth are safe :)

funvw5

Ready to race!
yes subframe needs removing.I am on this mount for almost 2 years now,it will makes for a tighter car more so for a two wheel drive gti than an R.there is minimal vibration only momentarily at cold start then it is smooth without any grr so your teeth are safe :)

Love the freezer idea! I always forget about physics. Lol

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
With the sway bar out of the way there are some on-car bushing presses that could probably be used. One of those tools though if you bought one you'd use it like twice in your life lol. VW repair manual had us remove subframes when replacing these, I always felt bad putting the OE POS bushings back in though...shame.

I just installed the Revo bushing, very easy install, but probably not as sturdy as the Racingline, at least just by looking at them. I read somewhere on here the machining on the Racingline was poor and they had to grid some flashing and burrs off before it would go in. For the sake of a nice install, subframe R&R is certainly optimal, just not the cheapest by a long shot. Warranty is 6.5 hours give or take .30 or so depending on the model. But, subframe R&R is a GREAT opportunity to install all sorts of suspension upgrades.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Yay thermal dynamics.

I liked rebuilding manual transmissions, pull the parts out of the freezer in the cafeteria, and hurry up and run down to my bench and put them on before they warmed up again lol. The suspense!

funvw5

Ready to race!
With the sway bar out of the way there are some on-car bushing presses that could probably be used. One of those tools though if you bought one you'd use it like twice in your life lol. VW repair manual had us remove subframes when replacing these, I always felt bad putting the OE POS bushings back in though...shame.

I just installed the Revo bushing, very easy install, but probably not as sturdy as the Racingline, at least just by looking at them. I read somewhere on here the machining on the Racingline was poor and they had to grid some flashing and burrs off before it would go in. For the sake of a nice install, subframe R&R is certainly optimal, just not the cheapest by a long shot. Warranty is 6.5 hours give or take .30 or so depending on the model. But, subframe R&R is a GREAT opportunity to install all sorts of suspension upgrades.

I would expect a little better quality control from Racingline, but I'm not sure why, lol. I only have 2 of their dress up parts. They're very nice. They cost a mint though.
Just from looking at the vwr mount it should be sturdier. im getting closer to the Revo mount just for pricing reasons.
My original thought was if you're gonna replace the lower you may as well replace the upper too, since the lower bolts into the upper.
Probably overthinking it though. I'm good at that?

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I looked at the VWR, Revo, and BFI mounts before purchasing. Ended up going with the Revo since I needed new mounts all around and the price was good on them

funvw5

Ready to race!
I looked at the VWR, Revo, and BFI mounts before purchasing. Ended up going with the Revo since I needed new mounts all around and the price was good on them

Been thinking BFI for the upper engine & trans. Got kinda stuck on the lower. I think I'm sold on the Revo though, I defiantly want an entire new mount, that makes sense for performance. The cost of the others is shying me away a little. If I tracked my car on a regular basis I think I would be more inclined to purchase one of them.

funvw5

Ready to race!
The big difference between the Revo engine and trans mounts and the BFI ones is that the Revo ones can be rebuilt

Good to know. BFI offer new bushings for their too though. And BFI comes in different hardnesses for different applications.
That being said, I was just looking at the full,Revo kit online & im thinking best bang for your buck....they win hands down! Kinda weird they don't use the fender mount on the their engine mount though.