GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

gc9n

Ready to race!
For the Voltage pin , Where did you guys connect it (wich pin) ? and also how ?
was it occupied from an existing fuse?
my cable have a female pin for this , is it wiser to use piggyback fuse holder ?

and also the most critical , the camera needs constant 12V or only when ignition is switched on?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
So my update is I purchased a harness and 24pin ribbon+coupler from AliExpress and the Odis with supposedly original oki from eBay (about the same price as AliExpress for me).
The 5q0 camera has been ordered too.

Yeah, for me it's going to be more difficult to get the mirror cover piece, as you mentioned.
The main wait will be for the AliExpress kit though - hopefully Christmas period doesn't delay it too much :)

As for the vcds coding, I've seen different posts online, we just need to merge them into the working solution when we have all the kit to test on :)

Oh and I will have to get a printout of the calibration board sorted soon too.

Will keep you all updated as I go.

You can get the mirror cover from here. https://www.vwpartsoutlet.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-cap-3g0858548a9b9

And the calibration board should be really cheap to print, cost me about 5$.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
For the Voltage pin , Where did you guys connect it (wich pin) ? and also how ?
was it occupied from an existing fuse?
my cable have a female pin for this , is it wiser to use piggyback fuse holder ?

and also the most critical , the camera needs constant 12V or only when ignition is switched on?

By voltage pin You mean the one that goes to the fuse box?

And if so, Your wire has a terminal that is supposed to be connected from behind the fusebox to keep the oem look.
But a fuse tap will work just fine ( Trust me you dont want to try, Its so much work just to get that wire in).

The camera needs a switched 12v. It uses the same fuse that the Park assist and ACC uses ( At least in the MK7)

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Do you guys think its possible to mount the 5q0 camera in this bracket? With some modifications maybe?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmm, what is that bracket from?

My camera arrived yesterday, but nothing else yet.
I also purchased the cover piece for behind the mirror. I am hoping that things arrive before or during the Christmas/new year break, as I will have a bit of time to install it then.

Any news on the 3D printed part being ready to collect?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
This is for the Passat b8 and the mk7.5 golf. So for the 3q0 camera but the 5q0 seems to have its mounting points a bit higher.

Thats the worst part about this, Waiting for everything to arrive.

Yes i Have collected it. Fits pretty well but I was dumb enough to try and screw it without expanding the hole a bit and it kinda broke, will have to buy another one( Which means making a better design) XD.

And PLEASE If you guys dont have a tap to make the thread ,Block the hole for the wiring so the screw wont fall inside by mistake. (It took my 2 hours to get it out.)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Ah, I thought it looked familiar from my research on this, but I knew it wasn't from the mk7. I guess it is possible with some modification, but the mirror option will probably still be easier.

I like the 3d part, simple but should be perfect for the job. To be honest, the print quality doesn't look the best to me, it appears to not be too strong, I'm not surprised it split a bit.

Is that the 3G0857511AG mirror you have there?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Ah, I thought it looked familiar from my research on this, but I knew it wasn't from the mk7. I guess it is possible with some modification, but the mirror option will probably still be easier.

I like the 3d part, simple but should be perfect for the job. To be honest, the print quality doesn't look the best to me, it appears to not be too strong, I'm not surprised it split a bit.

Is that the 3G0857511AG mirror you have there?

Its for the mk7.5. Yea im doing the mirror option but i want something to hold the module in, I Wont glue the metal cover to the ceiling ( I Might need to take it out sometime).

I Already made a second version and sent it to my friend to print. Its really strong, the only reason it split is because i used an electric drill. Btw I Made the new version thicker so should be even stronger.

Yes it is, I Wanted to install an auto dimming mirror so i ordered this kit and It turns out that this exact mirror is needed to install the camera so i was really lucky :D

Last edited:

gc9n

Ready to race!
Wiring is done. Fair easy!
Now for the 3Q0 camera the ffc cable that is using is not compatible with a ordinary ffc 34pin 0.5pitch.
It has some kind of ears that holds it. I have to find the correct bracket.

So for the 3d print bracket you made. Make sure not to use wood screws and make sure also the hole have to be made in the model itself. Not just screw it on. Because is gonna pop it

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Wiring is done. Fair easy!
Now for the 3Q0 camera the ffc cable that is using is not compatible with a ordinary ffc 34pin 0.5pitch.
It has some kind of ears that holds it. I have to find the correct bracket.

So for the 3d print bracket you made. Make sure not to use wood screws and make sure also the hole have to be made in the model itself. Not just screw it on. Because is gonna pop it

But have you tried connecting the camera to test everything?

Thats the only screw i had that was the right size And could make the threads, the hole was in the model itself tho i got my Caliper just after i ordered it, So V2 Should fit perfect.