GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How'd you dial in your auto headlight sensor?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
In the infotainment menu there's an option under the settings for lighting. I believe the feature is called "turn-on time" and the options are early, medium or late. I think I have mine set to late so they don't turn on under bridges.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
The OP has a sport, so he’s likely referring to aftermarket. I tried one of those kits on my mk6 Jetta. It drove me crazy for the reasons you mention. I eventually ripped it out. The calibration procedure had little to no impact.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I had the same outcome. Calibration made zero difference.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I have the aftermarket on my sport as well. Definitely not well designed. I've colored the sensor using a Sharpie and it helped a little. It's just something you have to live with if you don't have the factory sensor.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
My aftermarket sensor from AliExpress has the typical off/DRL and low beam modes, but it also has a city light mode (at least for NAR, it's like having the switch set to parking lights).

It surprised me when I was sitting at a stop light under a freeway at night, and the lights under the freeway were bright enough for the sensor to go into the city light mode (confirmed it didn't go into off/DRL because the parking light indicator on the switch was lit).

I had to go in my garage and kept shining lights (head lamps and flashlights) directly at the sensor until the low beam turned off and switched to city lights but not going in the off/DRL mode. At this point I followed the instructions to set the low beam threshold. Now the city lights mode is basically gone, as that has a separate threshold setting sequence.

I guess you could do the reverse, where you set your sensor's low beam threshold when it's darker than it is outside during your commute. What makes it difficult is if you go under a lot of shaded areas like tree-lined streets in your commute, which would make the sensor think it's even darker outside.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk