GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto hold not releasing when it should

Sinistar-X

Hi guys,

Can anyone help with this please? I've had my Golf Mk7 2.0 TDI (13 plate) for just over a month, I'm loving it but just recently I've found a problem with the Auto hold not releasing when it should. Instead of releasing I hear an audible crunch and the brakes are locked on. There's no warning message anywhere to be seen.

I can disable the auto hold to get moving again but this isn't a solution.

Any suggestions? I know I can take it to a main dealer and they can put it on the diagnostics but this is dependent upon it happening at the time and right now the problem is intermittant.

Thanks All

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Could just be a coding issue. Without a wiring schematic to tell what sensors exactly it talks to I'd hate to throw out parts change suggestions.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Hi guys,

Can anyone help with this please? I've had my Golf Mk7 2.0 TDI (13 plate) for just over a month, I'm loving it but just recently I've found a problem with the Auto hold not releasing when it should. Instead of releasing I hear an audible crunch and the brakes are locked on. There's no warning message anywhere to be seen.

I can disable the auto hold to get moving again but this isn't a solution.

Any suggestions? I know I can take it to a main dealer and they can put it on the diagnostics but this is dependent upon it happening at the time and right now the problem is intermittant.

Thanks All

Is there any connection to hill starts? I find if you don't quite get the clutch / accelerator right it can put the brakes on again.

Have you noticed what happens with the dash warning light? does it change from green to red? if it does it implies the parking brake is being applied for some reason

The car may record a fault code which your dealer maybe able to use to detect the fault. Where are you with the 3 year warranty?, if you have a 2013 car you cant have too much if any left. If its still under warranty I'd be off to the dealer sharpish !

gtchris1

Ready to race!
When i first had mine it took me a little while to get used too the parking brake.i used to rev my engine a bit too much before i actually found the point on my clutch before it released.
You will get used to it but if there was something faulty with it the best way to know is the red and green light on the dash like radox said.
Mine only goes red on the dash when i switch the engine off.it should mainly be green whilst your driving.

Sinistar-X

Thanks for the replies guys. If there is any connection I'd have to say it's happened when the car is barely moving i.e manoeuvring into a parking space. It's quite possible I've been too light on the throttle in these situations. I'll deliberately keep an eye on the light on the dash as I'm manoeuvring the car over the next few days and see what happens. If it persists it's off to the dealership, if I'm lucky it might have logged a fault code to identify the problem.

Thanks again chaps :)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You need to be completely stopped for Autohold to engage so if it engages at low speeds there's something wrong. As soon as you touch the throttle it's supposed to release. Either take it to the dealer or buy a VCDS.