GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual - 5th gears whines when on accelerator

Terrafirma10

Passed Driver's Ed
When I am 5th gear pushing the accelerator the car whines. It is coming from the transmission area. I have tried searching for issues on the web. I see there is other people with the issue but I do not seeing answers to the problem. Does anyone know what the problem is? Thank You

Could it be a bad synchro?

Last edited:

Terrafirma10

Passed Driver's Ed
Update:
I ended up taking it to the dealership to find out the issue. They have decided to replace my whole transmission. The crazy part is that I was told there is only two replacements in the world and they were making a special request to get one. I have not asked yet what the problem was. I will find out in a few weeks when it is ready.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Then: Noise in fifth? Let's take it apart and see what's busted.
Now: Noise in fifth? Ship the whole unit back to Botswana and slap in a new one.

Not sure if this is good, bad, or in between, but it sure is real.

Terrafirma10

Passed Driver's Ed
Then: Noise in fifth? Let's take it apart and see what's busted.
Now: Noise in fifth? Ship the whole unit back to Botswana and slap in a new one.

Not sure if this is good, bad, or in between, but it sure is real.

Local Volkswagen tech and Volkswagen America tested it and discussed it for a week and half before they decided to replace the whole transmission. I’m baffled there is only two replacements in the world.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Local Volkswagen tech and Volkswagen America tested it and discussed it for a week and half before they decided to replace the whole transmission. I’m baffled there is only two replacements in the world.

I would be very skeptical of that statement from them. More likely there are very few immediately available cheaply or something like that. More likely to be VW skimping on something than it is sheer availability for this type of part for a mass market car.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm not surprised if they're really on backorder. They couldn't even keep, what was it, thermostats, in stock? I'd be curious to know if they need to have one shipped from Germany, and if it's brand-new or rebuilt. If you want to find out if they're really on backorder, just call a few other dealer's parts departments.

I think it's more cost effective to R&R it than try to fix it.

Terrafirma10

Passed Driver's Ed
Just talked to the dealership and it is ready now they put it in as a vehicle down order so it was overnighted last week. It is a brand new transmission and going to pick it up shortly.

Terrafirma10

Passed Driver's Ed
They did a tear down and found bearing/races scorned and found 1st gear teeth on input shaft freckled/rough surfaces on drive side of teeth and found 5th gear teeth freckled/rough on drive side of teeth.

coleylikesbacon

Ready to race!

I believe it... to an extent. It took almost 3 weeks to get my steering rack replaced.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, well, maybe "just in time" logistics was working as intended. Perhaps there really are no spares floating around until they are needed. Pretty slick, if it works.