GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ceramic tint have any more clarity?

BuyGerman

Ready to race!
I've been slacking on getting tint so I'm making an appointment this week. I've never had ceramic tint always cheaper stuff. Doing some research lumar pinnacle seems great and a few tint shops by me swear by it. My buddy has some max pro or whatever lets say "mid grade". Looked over the specs its pretty solid and its way "clearer" than my old tint from awhile back. There actually any additional clarity with lumar pinnacle vs "mid grade" tint?
Thanks
buygerman

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
WIth ceramic tint, the real benefit is heat rejection.

The mid-grade Comfort series is a metallic tint, which can interfere with GPS, radio and cell phone signals.

Lllumar/F-1 doesn't give you clarity specs.

And I think I know which shop you're looking at, the F-1 dealer in Bear.

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed
We just had suntek ceramic tint 34% installed on our 2017 Jetta. The heat rejection was well worth it as we live in Phoenix AZ.

Compared to the mandatory dealer installed tint on my 2019 Rabbit Edition, the suntek ceramic appears clearer and slightly more grey, but that might be my eyes honestly.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
The ceramic isn't quite as dark as the normal tint. I got the darkest tint possible in ceramic and you can still see through it just a tiny bit, compared to prior tints I've hard that were completely black. The extra $ was worth it.

If you want maximum clarity you can get the ceramic in a clear coat with no tint at all but still keeps out heat

BuyGerman

Ready to race!
The ceramic isn't quite as dark as the normal tint. I got the darkest tint possible in ceramic and you can still see through it just a tiny bit, compared to prior tints I've hard that were completely black. The extra $ was worth it.

If you want maximum clarity you can get the ceramic in a clear coat with no tint at all but still keeps out heat

Would you say 5 is more like 15 in carbon? Is the 5 too dark at night? Everytime I'm in a car with 5 I feel like I can't see a damn thing out the sides lol. Also when I was referring to clarity I meant are you getting any appreciable difference in how clear the tint is. For example spend $5 on sunglasses and then buy a $200 pair of sunglasses with actual glass big difference in clarity.

BuyGerman

Ready to race!
We just had suntek ceramic tint 34% installed on our 2017 Jetta. The heat rejection was well worth it as we live in Phoenix AZ.

Compared to the mandatory dealer installed tint on my 2019 Rabbit Edition, the suntek ceramic appears clearer and slightly more grey, but that might be my eyes honestly.

Solid feedback thanks!

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Would you say 5 is more like 15 in carbon? Is the 5 too dark at night? Everytime I'm in a car with 5 I feel like I can't see a damn thing out the sides lol. Also when I was referring to clarity I meant are you getting any appreciable difference in how clear the tint is. For example spend $5 on sunglasses and then buy a $200 pair of sunglasses with actual glass big difference in clarity.

Personally I don't think it's too dark at night but you may feel differently. My parents complain their Mercedes is too dark at night because of the 5% tint all around w/ sunvisor tint. My front windows aren't as dark though, and it helps that our cars have LED lights inside.

But I no longer wear sunglasses when the windows are up because not only are they not needed, it's actually kind of hard to see out the rear-view mirror. I can still see cars just can't tell what kind of car it is.

cb1111

Tint color has nothing to do with heat rejection unless you are using the cheapest crap possible.

A 80% ceramic tint will have far greater heat and UV rejection than 5% conventional tint.

There is no medical reason for going to a tint darker than what is allowed by the laws in your state. Many states are now removing the "medical tint exemption" due to abuse and no real need.

Standard automotive glass removes a significant portion of UV as it is and adding a ceramic tint will add more heat rejection and get the UV transmission below 1%

PSA for those wearing glasses. Standard Transition glasses (those that turn dark in the sun) will not darken in the car (they work from UV, and that is virtually gone in the car), so wearing sunglasses is important to reduce the occurrence of cataracts later in life.

cb1111

Personally I don't think it's too dark at night but you may feel differently. My parents complain their Mercedes is too dark at night because of the 5% tint all around w/ sunvisor tint. My front windows aren't as dark though, and it helps that our cars have LED lights inside.

But I no longer wear sunglasses when the windows are up because not only are they not needed, it's actually kind of hard to see out the rear-view mirror. I can still see cars just can't tell what kind of car it is.
Not sure what interior LED lights have to do wth seeing outside.

You really think your dark tint is safe? At night? In the rain?

How about in a parking garage?

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Clarity also depends on install from what I have read.
Higher quality film must be relaxed to match contour of glass.
If one does it poorly then film can be distorted.
The is the art of install.
Look for a good shop and you get what you pay for.

All films need to be heat-shrunk to match the contour of the glass, from cheap dyed to the expensive Huper Optik.

cb1111

All films need to be heat-shrunk to match the contour of the glass, from cheap dyed to the expensive Huper Optik.
I think Sandy's comment was directed more at a poor installer "stretching" the product and introducing distortion in that way.

We've all seen that purple tint with the wrinkles and the delamination. The purple is because of crappy tint. The wrinkles is because of a piss-poor install (usually of cheap film)

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Not sure what interior LED lights have to do wth seeing outside.

You really think your dark tint is safe? At night? In the rain?

How about in a parking garage?
Holy shit where to begin...

They don't have anything to do with each other, that's why I broke it up into two different paragraphs/trains-of-thought. What I was saying is that it's not as dark inside our cars as others at night because there are LEDs throughout the interior.

Then, way to highlight half my sentence and then completely ignore the first half. I said it's hard to see out the back when I have dark sunglasses on and the windows are rolled up. I also mentioned thats why I don't wear sunglasses anymore with the windows up. That has nothing to do with driving at night or in rain because I don't wear sunglasses in the dark like an idiot.

My front windows are only 25% or 35% so I'm not sure why you're insinuating my car is dangerous to drive but do everyone a favor and quit trying to be an internet hero

Last edited: