GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dad became a a GTI believer

2015csgGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
So when I got my car in April my dad was very “eh” about it. He thought it was a good looking car and supported me buying it, but he always downplayed how cool the GTI is. This past week we were camping in Kings Canyon National Park, near the sequoias. And I had brought my car, so I wanted to take him for a drive down the canyon, because I recently tuned my car (unitronic stage 1) so I wanted to show him what it could do. I drove first, then I asked if he wanted to drive after we stopped for some pictures. At first he said no, but then immediately changed his mind when he realized it was the perfect time and place to drive it. He hauled ass down the canyon, he refused to put it in 3rd gear, he’d just wind out 2nd gear hitting almost 70 down this canyon drive. He was amazed how the car would just keep pulling at such high rpms. Anyways, that night he kept telling everyone we were camping with how fun and cool my car was. He couldn’t stop talking about it. Definitely understands my obsession with the GTI now. It was a fun/cool moment with my dad lol. These are some pictures we got with the canyon view in the back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hockey

Ready to race!
It's amazing the power that can be brought out in this little 4 cylinder car.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Awesome bonding moment!

Funny you should bring it up ... my dad (who is hyper-critical of cars) drove my GTI the other week for the first time and came back raving about it, too. He generally drives big luxury cars (16' Acura RLX now) but said he loved how solid it felt and how much power it made at low rpm. Said he didn't miss the big V6 at all. I was happy!

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Most people change their impression drastically after they drive a GTI / R.

Maybe its time to bring home another VW.

Jarbear

Ready to race!
Nice!

I had the same experience with my car, sorta. It was my first new car purchase, as well as being all done on my own (24yo), so it was a big deal for me. He was supportive of my purchase but is a huge Mopar/Chevy guy. But I finally had a chance to take him out when the car was 100% stock, and he seemed pretty impressed. He also liked the quality of the interior and the size of the engine mounts lol.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
That's an awesome father/son moment, I'm glad you both enjoyed it. These cars are deceivingly fast. Especially since some assume them to be regular Golf's.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Cool stuff, slick stuff NEAT stuff. Thanks for sharing OP, its good to see a positive thread on here for once

My dad has always been Mr. 'Murica when it comes to cars and he was never big into modding or anything. he scoffs whenever I talk about the mods I'm planning for my car. But he does enjoy it as much as it would pain him to admit it. he found an excuse to take it to the store the day after i bought it. When I first got the car my uncles (his brothers) came over for Easter dinner and asked him if it was fast and his reply was "it'll put you back in your seat".

A year or two later while eating lunch at hunting camp, the same uncle was talking about someone who he knew who had one and he couldnt stop saying "its stupid fast". They all live in bumfucknowhere and could not believe the little 4 cylinder could put out that much power. Its a good feeling when that conversion to believer happens

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
"They all live in bumfucknowhere"

Good to know there are others from my home town.

Bumfucknowhere, Population: Meth

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
And cow tipping is a high school sport.

Fun fact, cow tipping is not a real thing. If you were somehow sneaky enough to get near a cow that doesnt know you, and strong/fast enough to tip it over without it turning your face into a lasagna with its feet, it would have to put put down from the fall. They also don't sleep standing up. Sorry to ruin the joke, its my best skill

Jarbear

Ready to race!
Fun fact, cow tipping is not a real thing. If you were somehow sneaky enough to get near a cow that doesnt know you, and strong/fast enough to tip it over without it turning your face into a lasagna with its feet, it would have to put put down from the fall. They also don't sleep standing up. Sorry to ruin the joke, its my best skill