GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driveshaft CV Issues?

coleylikesbacon

Ready to race!
2015 GTI PP - lowered on VMR springs, no other mods. Not tracked, but driven with much spirit. ½ & ½ hwy vs city.

44k kms / 27k miles.

For the last month I've been getting a rattle in the front drivers side going over the smallest bumps. Seemed most prevalent at low speeds with no steering input, but getting progressively worse.

Thankfully everything else is tight, I had assumed it was a strut bearing, but thought it might have been the rack as I could get it to make noise by flicking the steering wheel back & forth.

Finally got it high enough on jack stands today to put hands on everything and low & behold I can shake the driveshaft about 1mm at the wheel side. CV boot appears intact with no magic goop leaking.

It'll be a week until I can get into a shop, but questions for now:
-normal to lose a shaft at such low mileage?
-think VW will warranty it or am I better off just buying the part and doing it myself / buddy.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I'd warranty it. This is the first I've heard of one gong bad. Sure it's not a wheel bearing possibly? I've heard of a couple of those going iirc

Hoon

Autocross Champion
If VW doesn't warranty (try that first) just make sure you buy an OEM shaft.

Anything from an auto parts store and you'll be swapping it every 5-10k miles.

Like oblivious said, make sure it's not the wheel bearing. A hair of play is normal in most CVs.