GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New owner 2015 SE PP DSG!

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Yes drivers in Germany have to take a two year comprehensive private driving school course, which they pay for themselves and it is very strict. They know not to stay in the left lane when not passing, even if they are going 150mph..if the center lane is clear, you move over. They WILL tailgate you at very high speeds if you violate this rule...I had my bmw 320i pinned at about 135 in the left lane...couldn't get over as there was a car next to me...a mercedes comes right up on my tail at about 150...I finally got to move over, but it was a little hairy for a few seconds. The roads there are built to stay smooth and last for many years, just like their houses...you spend the extra up front and you get what you pay for. The grading is such that even in a downpour, there is no puddling. Around here, they poured a new road a couple of years
ago and it already looks like s__t.

BTW...you WILL get a fine for cruising in the left lane and there are many traffic cameras in areas where there is a posted speed limit...pulled into little village one dark night and must of hit a camera maybe 10mph over the limit...it was like ufo's going off...they flash pictured my car. Never got a ticket in the mail, my car was a french lease at the time. Driving yesterday on the AC expressway, its amazing how many dotards drive the left lane at slower speeds, even though there are three open lanes...and they won't move over for nothing...hate passing on the right...cops should focus on that behavior more, would save a lot of accidents.

You got me going now....Italy is an entirely different scene...no unlimited speed zones, but those drivers over there don't care...drive like maniacs...you have to really watch your back....was going up into the dolomites on those narrow one laners up pretty steep grades and blind corners...I don't drive slow, but those bikers up there think nothing of passing at 70mph around a totally blind curve...I guess they do a lot of praying around there.

Driving in Western Europe is a completely different animal as it sounds like you're aware too ! I miss it too! (apart from the traffic) Really got to have your wits about you. So much more anticipation and skills needed. Tons more stuff going on, buses, motorcyclists, pedestrians constantly stepping out in front of you... Here in the USA, i feel you can just throw it in cruise control, and have a nap and arrive at your destination. Its no wonder DSG / auto's are so popular here.

I know America is a big place and there are some stunning drives to be had, but (for me at least) they're all so far away. For the most part, its 3 lane roads with just cars and get to the lights. Stop and wait at intersection, look at the strip mall on either side...Start and get to the next set of lights stop... Have a sleep, play with your phone... Start to the next set of lights.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Driving in Western Europe is a completely different animal as it sounds like you're aware too ! I miss it too! (apart from the traffic) Really got to have your wits about you. So much more anticipation and skills needed. Tons more stuff going on, buses, motorcyclists, pedestrians constantly stepping out in front of you... Here in the USA, i feel you can just throw it in cruise control, and have a nap and arrive at your destination. Its no wonder DSG / auto's are so popular here.

I know America is a big place and there are some stunning drives to be had, but (for me at least) they're all so far away. For the most part, its 3 lane roads with just cars and get to the lights. Stop and wait at intersection, look at the strip mall on either side...Start and get to the next set of lights stop... Have a sleep, play with your phone... Start to the next set of lights.

Yup. This is why we buy these high HP cars. Need something to entertain us. :D

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
Hairyest place I ever drove was in athens, greece....lots of suicide circles, tremendous traffic, including thousands of scooters, pollution. And then you can't read most of the signs because they are in cerilic. There are no right of way rules.