GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adjustable sway bar endlinks

wave

Ready to race!
Car is about 1.5 inches lower than stock, on Neuspeed progressive race springs and Koni yellow adjustable struts. I have adjustable sway bar endlinks up front, but I don't know how much shorter than stock to set them. Does anyone have any recommendations on how much shorter the endlinks should be from stock? Right now, they are set to the same length as stock, and the sway bar and links are rubbing on my axles over elevation changes in the road while driving, so much so that it is wearing into the axles. I've been reading up on setting them, but there is so much contradictory information I was looking for at least a good starting point to fix this. Thanks for the help!

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
You should shorten the links so the bar is in the same angle/position at rest as it was before lowering.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Car is about 1.5 inches lower than stock, on Neuspeed progressive race springs and Koni yellow adjustable struts. I have adjustable sway bar endlinks up front, but I don't know how much shorter than stock to set them. Does anyone have any recommendations on how much shorter the endlinks should be from stock? Right now, they are set to the same length as stock, and the sway bar and links are rubbing on my axles over elevation changes in the road while driving, so much so that it is wearing into the axles. I've been reading up on setting them, but there is so much contradictory information I was looking for at least a good starting point to fix this. Thanks for the help!
I have the N sport springs with Konis. How much harsher did your ride become after ditching the stock springs and shocks?

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I would think you would want them longer than stock, not shorter. If you lower the sprung weight, the strut end of the link (part of the unsprung weight) will be relatively higher to where the bar attachment point is (assuming you want the bar in the same position as stock).

wave

Ready to race!
I have the N sport springs with Konis. How much harsher did your ride become after ditching the stock springs and shocks?

Ride isn't too bad, I like a stiff setup so I don't find it harsh, but it is much tighter than stock. I'm just fighting with the swaybar making contact with the axles, so much so that it rubs.

Odessa.filez This is what I can't seem to confirm, if they should be longer than stock or shorter. I have a few local friends too, who all seem to have a different opinion. I attempted to adjust them while the car was on level ground and take the preload out, but no matter how short or long I go, they still seem to put some force on the sway bar either up or down. I don't know what the stock sway bar position was, or should be. Perhaps I can get someone to snap a photo of the stock sway bar orientation on stock ride height, not sure where else to start.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Ride isn't too bad, I like a stiff setup so I don't find it harsh, but it is much tighter than stock. I'm just fighting with the swaybar making contact with the axles, so much so that it rubs.

Odessa.filez This is what I can't seem to confirm, if they should be longer than stock or shorter. I have a few local friends too, who all seem to have a different opinion. I attempted to adjust them while the car was on level ground and take the preload out, but no matter how short or long I go, they still seem to put some force on the sway bar either up or down. I don't know what the stock sway bar position was, or should be. Perhaps I can get someone to snap a photo of the stock sway bar orientation on stock ride height, not sure where else to start.

as far as "longer vs shorter" draw a picture and think it through.

this being a forum of modders, might be hard to get a pic of "stock". I'm not even sure about my GSW on GTI springs...but I would think if your car is 1.5" lower, the endlink should be roughly 1.5" longer.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I'm going to pull my wheel and look tomorrow. The LCA and the sway bar are so close, perhaps lowering at some point causes issues (?)

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
here's a pic of my stock front bar (GSW) at ride height of 15", which is very close to stock. GTI is roughly a 1/2 inch lower.

On 4 jackstands, other side with disconnected link, I could not get the ride height lower than 15" with a jack under the LCA. It just lifted the car off the jackstand.

With my alum TT arms, swaybar.clearance is roughly 2", which suggests that adding 1.5" might work and achieve same swaybar angle, but it may be close.