GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #1
KlipZ
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn w/PP
Location: NWI
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 429
Need to add a bit of oil, what should i use?

6400 miles as i parked at work this morning. I checked my engine oil last night as i had some weird engaging when going from R to D so it just reminded me i should check my oil as its still on the factory oil and a new car.

Well as expected, its a bit low. Not in the dangerous low, but a quart or so would get it up to par as i try to stretch out to the 10k service.

I cant seem to find what kind of oil VW throws in the car at the factory. Does this matter or can i just pickup a quart and go nuts?

Also, it seems the consensus is to go 5w-40?
__________________
2016 GTI Autobahn | PP | LP | DSG | Deep Black Pearl
KlipZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
Chronic
Senior Member
 
Chronic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 GOLF R DSG PURE WHITE
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipZ View Post
6400 miles as i parked at work this morning. I checked my engine oil last night as i had some weird engaging when going from R to D so it just reminded me i should check my oil as its still on the factory oil and a new car.

Well as expected, its a bit low. Not in the dangerous low, but a quart or so would get it up to par as i try to stretch out to the 10k service.

I cant seem to find what kind of oil VW throws in the car at the factory. Does this matter or can i just pickup a quart and go nuts?

Also, it seems the consensus is to go 5w-40?




Castro edge synthetic
__________________
CTS Catless Downpipe,CTS Cold Air Intake,CTS TMD,CTS TIP,CTS TOP,CTS Throttle Pipe,CTS Crank Pulley,Audi Resonator Delete,Unitronic Stage 2 Ecu/Tcu,Centre Console Opened,Tinted Windows 5%Back 20%Front
034 Motorsport Dogbone,034 Motorsport Rear Sub Frame Mounts,034 Strut Mounts&Bearings,Emmanuele Design Springs,NGK RS7 Plugs,More Mods Coming.....
Chronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #3
BlueHen
Senior Member
 
BlueHen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GSW TDI; 2011 BMW 335d
Location: Delmarva
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,048
Per the owner's manual, any VW 502 00-approved 5w30 or 5w40 will work.

There are also VW 502 00-approved oils in other grades (M1 0w40 is very popular), but the manual recommends those two grades.
__________________
2015 Sportwagen TDI S DSG
2011 BMW 335d
BlueHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #4
Sandman GTI
Senior Member
 
Sandman GTI's Avatar
 
Drives: GTI MK7 Autobahn, PP, DCC+LP, 97 F-150 4.6L V8
Location: Tennessee USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 8,470
Is the oil type also not on the oil fill cap?
__________________
Sandman
My Build Thread: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6100
Sandman GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
KlipZ
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn w/PP
Location: NWI
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 429
I believe the oil cap just has the oil logo and a picture of the manual.

Is there a big difference between 5w30 and 5w-40? Seems 5w-40 is what people tend to use for turbo cars

**Please forgive my ignorance, first turbo and really just now starting to get more into cars. Old cars i just took to the shop every 5k and let them do their thing.
__________________
2016 GTI Autobahn | PP | LP | DSG | Deep Black Pearl
KlipZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #6
BlueHen
Senior Member
 
BlueHen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GSW TDI; 2011 BMW 335d
Location: Delmarva
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipZ View Post
I believe the oil cap just has the oil logo and a picture of the manual.

Is there a big difference between 5w30 and 5w-40? Seems 5w-40 is what people tend to use for turbo cars

**Please forgive my ignorance, first turbo and really just now starting to get more into cars. Old cars i just took to the shop every 5k and let them do their thing.
5w40 has higher viscosity at operating temperature. If you live in a temperate or hot climate it's ideal. If you live in a cold area (or in a temperate area in the winter) then 5w30 would be a fine choice. The 0 in 0w40 refers to a lower starting temp viscosity, which can benefit an engine on cold startup, and then it still acts as a 40 weight at operating temp. That's why some folks swear by the M1 0w-40 Euro car formula.

I will stick to 5w40 personally.
__________________
2015 Sportwagen TDI S DSG
2011 BMW 335d
BlueHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #7
breaking badly
Banned
 
Drives: Winnie Twister
Location: St. Olaf
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,424
1. do a search and read

2. place your question in one of the existing threads

3. use either VW 502 00 or VW 504 00

4. I'd go for either 0W-30 or 0W-40 fully synthetic

5. don't let anyone fool you, you can mix these oils without issues
breaking badly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:33 PM   #8
BlueHen
Senior Member
 
BlueHen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GSW TDI; 2011 BMW 335d
Location: Delmarva
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaking badly View Post
1. do a search and read

2. place your question in one of the existing threads

3. use either VW 502 00 or VW 504 00

4. I'd go for either 0W-30 or 0W-40 fully synthetic

5. don't let anyone fool you, you can mix these oils without issues
You were supposed to say RTFM.

And then the OP is supposed to ask, "what is RTFM?"

And then we all laugh.
__________________
2015 Sportwagen TDI S DSG
2011 BMW 335d
BlueHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:41 PM   #9
AspektZA
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7 SE DSG
Location: Austin, Texas
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 502
If it's dealer or factory oil, just use Castrol 5w/0w-40 and call it a day.

You don't have to perfectly match oil if you're just topping up a bit.
AspektZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:05 AM   #10
lucyfek
Senior Member
 
Drives: 16 GTI S 2 door 6MT, 02 zx3
Location: IL USA
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 329
I prefer 0W40 (actually I'd go for 0W30, but there's not enough consensus to risk it on my own car). I did not see oil use yet, insufficient mileage to judge though.
BTW, I've just got a 5qts can of Castrol Edge at Walmart. 3$ less less than Mobil1, wider (than older Castrol cans) diameter opening (so easier to pour in used oil from the pan) and "made in Belgium" ("European formula" so hopefully synthetic is really a synthetic).
lucyfek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #11
surfstar
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 GSW TSI S 5MT
Location: Cali
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyfek View Post
I prefer 0W40 (actually I'd go for 0W30, but there's not enough consensus to risk it on my own car). I did not see oil use yet, insufficient mileage to judge though.
BTW, I've just got a 5qts can of Castrol Edge at Walmart. 3$ less less than Mobil1, wider (than older Castrol cans) diameter opening (so easier to pour in used oil from the pan) and "made in Belgium" ("European formula" so hopefully synthetic is really a synthetic).
M1 0w40 is a "thin" 40, so its nearly a 0w30.
Castrol does make a 0w30 that is 502 (might be hard to find, though)
http://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-...duct-page.html

Finally, M1 has a $12 rebate, so its the cheapest 502 oil you can run, which is why I use it.

As long as the oil meets VW 502, you can use it without worry.
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.