GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used 2015-17 GTI options?

Tetra

Hello everyone! I'm very interested in buying a MK7 GTI and wanted to know what options should I get. Since the cars i'm looking at are used, it'll be difficult to find certain options, but I've found certain ones. I'm going for the SE or autobahn due to the sunroof option. Now, here is my question. Is the DCC, driver assistant package, PP, and lighting package worth the money? I can't seem to find any one's with dcc, which i'm okay with. Does the driver assistant package decrease insurance at all? If you guys have any ideas, please let me know. Thank you!

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
All these options are very subjective. I went with an Autobahn as i had to have dual zone climate control. Coming to the options:
LP - a big yes for me.
PP - prefer having it and i had it.
DCC - people who had it, really liked it.
DAP - didn wanna have too many driving aids.

Before you really want a sunroof on MK7, many people have had nightmares with it and do read about them.

Given a choice, i would pick 2017 Sport.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
GTI Options

From my experience of nearly 4-years with a MK7 GTI PP and now a couple months with a new Mk7.5 GTI I would suggest you consider the following.

1. PP
2. DCC though not essential but does give more comfort.
3. Xenon headlights
4. Reversing Camera
5. Key-less entry ans push button stop/start though not essential.
6. Climate control is nice.
7. DSG

Just one word of warning and that relates to the rear shock absorbers on the non-DCC MK7. The are not good and can make an irritating type of knocking noise. A very large amount of owners had problems with these and subsequently replaced these with what I recommend back a few years ago. I suggested the Bilstein B4 shock absorbers as for me and many others they made a very immediate and noticeable difference. Take a look at my website relating to this issue. www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk Of course you can fit whatever you like but as a low cost OEM replacement this is a great shock absorber.

I recently purchased the MK7.5 and even with this "new model" the rear shock absorbers are still to some extent noisy. I have now fitted Koni Active's and those made a really good difference to ride quality and they are silent.

Another point and that relates to tyres. If whatever you buy is fitted with Bridgestone Potenza S001 tyres then replace them as they are as hard as hell and noisy.

I see you are considering the MK7 and not the face-lifted 7.5. This is a good choice as having now driven three Mk7.5's I can tell you that for me they are disappointing in terms of road and cabin noise when compared to the original MK7. The GTI 7.5 is definitely not an improvement on its predecessor apart from the cosmetic nonsense and fancy infotainment unit and dashboard. Given a choice I would swap the 7.5 for my original Mk7 in an instant.

To anyone considering a Golf 7.5 I would suggest they drive that model and really listen to the cabin noise and then drive a MK7 as to me there is a significant difference. Would I buy another MK7.5 - definitely not. Would I buy the MK8 - possibly but VW would have had to make significant improvements to reduce cabin noise.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hello everyone! I'm very interested in buying a MK7 GTI and wanted to know what options should I get. Since the cars i'm looking at are used, it'll be difficult to find certain options, but I've found certain ones. I'm going for the SE or autobahn due to the sunroof option. Now, here is my question. Is the DCC, driver assistant package, PP, and lighting package worth the money? I can't seem to find any one's with dcc, which i'm okay with. Does the driver assistant package decrease insurance at all? If you guys have any ideas, please let me know. Thank you!

It's your choice. Drive a new one with them and find out for yourself.

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
2016 and newer have improved infotainment unit (USB, carplay). 2 door models didn't make it past 2016. LP is nice but similarly to all the tucked on options it's just extra expense when you need to replace anything. PP = bigger and more expensive tires and rims (if you had to replace them) plus more unsprung weight. Keyless entry - pointless, diminishes keyfob battery life, easier to hack/steal. DCC - nice but superfluous most of the time, expense down the line. Sunroof - another point of failure and weight penalty. Plus it reduces headroom (as practical as GTI is, it's still more difficult to pack in my MTB standing upright). I'd literally have to be paid for if my car was to be encumbered with this feature. Manual transmission - must have, may as well get a real minivan if going for auto.

adam1991

Banned
DSG = best transmission in the business, no compromises. Don't hesitate. If you've never driven a GTI/R with DSG, you can't imagine what it's like--let alone tell anyone else that "you might as well get a minivan if you don't have manual transmission hurr durr"

Kessy--wouldn't do without it, FAR from "pointless".

Watch out what you hear on forums like this.

Tetra

I've driven a 2016 dsg and manual. I have to say, there have been wayyy better feeling manuals. (2017 Mustang GT, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 miata rf club, challenger scat pack and Focus St). As for options, I'm sticking with the SE for the sunroof. If I happen to find a good Autobahn for good miles/price, I'll choose that.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Manuals are fun.

This manual is also fun, but occasionally temperamental. It's in need of a small bit of tinkering unless you plan to drive the car like a grandma. Nothing is more exciting than missing a 3>4 and redlining the car in neutral :D

OP, many people come to regret wanting the sunroof. If you're the kind of person bothered by rattles and such you might want to look into some of the stuff on here specifically about the sun roof.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Skip 2015 they have known issues that were addressed

-Crank walk
-cam bridge oil screen
-weak turbo (thrust bearings/oil issues)

Other than that you’ll be happy with any of them. Completely base it’s a great car, and honestly I prefer it that way since the sunroofs are known to leak and the plastic surrounds crack