GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clear Bra/PPF Recommended?

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, just picked up a new 2018 GTI SE and I am loving it. I upgraded from a 2013 MK6 GTI Driver's Edition.

My boss at work recommended clear bra/ppf as I live in the DMV area and the roads are notoriously difficult, plus the snow doesn't help the rock chips whatsoever.

I was quoted $750 for Xpel or 3M to cover 60% of the hood & fenders, full bumper, headlights, mirrors, rear bumper by the wheel arches, and the trunk loading lip.

I was able to haggle it down $250 (original quote was $1,000), but it still is hard to justify when that money could probably be better spent on some nice VW parts that I was considering (such as splash guards, wheel locks, etc.)

I appreciate any and all advice.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
That is a pretty good price I think, but definitely get a full hood.

Got it. Yeah I am just interested in figuring out what I need to do. My previous GTI had nothing and I pretty much treated it like crap and it wasn't THAT bad.

SRoads

Ready to race!
Got it. Yeah I am just interested in figuring out what I need to do. My previous GTI had nothing and I pretty much treated it like crap and it wasn't THAT bad.

Yes but the mk7 paint is softer than what you had on the mk6...

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Yes but the mk7 paint is softer than what you had on the mk6...

Very true. I will go for it, but pending my experience with this one will determine whether I am sold on it for next vehicle.

Now the money question: 3M or Xpel? My installer said 3M is the "industry standard" and manufactures film in house, but Xpel is great, even though they manufacture through 3rd party.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
FWIW, the installer who installed my clear bra doesn't use 3M, because they have found it inferior to XPEL and SunTek.

While it's difficult to compare prices in different areas, due to overhead costs for rent, labor, etc, I was quoted $1800 for full hood, bumper, mirrors, front fenders, door cups, door sills, and rear tailgate in SoCal.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
FWIW, the installer who installed my clear bra doesn't use 3M, because they have found it inferior to XPEL and SunTek.

While it's difficult to compare prices in different areas, due to overhead costs for rent, labor, etc, I was quoted $1800 for full hood, bumper, mirrors, front fenders, door cups, door sills, and rear tailgate in SoCal.

My full hood quote would be $1,000

which I think is fair considering DMV area is pretty expensive.

Whatnxt1

Would recommend Xpel as it can self-repair.

Had this on my MK6 Golf and the wife's BMW 328d. Front bumper, lights, fenders, 1/3 hood, mirrors, handle cups, rear bumper, window pillars (sides of the windshield), door edges, and the top from the top of the windshield to the sunroof. Cost $650 each. Cars look great after three years in the PNW.

IMO, full hood is overkill.

aameghoo

Passed Driver's Ed
Definitely recommend doing the full hood. Everyone I talked to before getting mine done that only did partial hood wish they had spent the extra and did full hood instead due to the transition being noticeable sometimes, especially when the car gets any dirt on it and the seam forms a visible line

Last edited:

MDLBC

Ready to race!
Hey guys, just picked up a new 2018 GTI SE and I am loving it. I upgraded from a 2013 MK6 GTI Driver's Edition.

My boss at work recommended clear bra/ppf as I live in the DMV area and the roads are notoriously difficult, plus the snow doesn't help the rock chips whatsoever.

I was quoted $750 for Xpel or 3M to cover 60% of the hood & fenders, full bumper, headlights, mirrors, rear bumper by the wheel arches, and the trunk loading lip.

I was able to haggle it down $250 (original quote was $1,000), but it still is hard to justify when that money could probably be better spent on some nice VW parts that I was considering (such as splash guards, wheel locks, etc.)

I appreciate any and all advice.

$250???? Holy Crap! I would pay that even if I was just leasing the car. I would think it was Saran Wrap at that price. Short answer... yes. If buying, do full hood as the seam in the middle of the hood will develop dirt buildup no matter how anal you are and show a subtle but visible line.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
$250???? Holy Crap! I would pay that even if I was just leasing the car. I would think it was Saran Wrap at that price. Short answer... yes. If buying, do full hood as the seam in the middle of the hood will develop dirt buildup no matter how anal you are and show a subtle but visible line.

I think he's saying he got the price dropped by $250, hence the $750 quote with original being $1000. Definitely would be suspect if it actually cost $250.

MDLBC

Ready to race!
I think he's saying he got the price dropped by $250, hence the $750 quote with original being $1000. Definitely would be suspect if it actually cost $250.

Yeah. I was a bit overzealous on that one. But still an amazing price for all that.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I have had the Xpel's full PPF on about a year after not having anything on the front of the car for 2 winters. After 2 winters my cars front end was completely chipped up. Over 1/3 of the hood front of the fenders, full bumper headlights, fog lights. I opted to get this installed after someone decided to cut the corner they were turning into and take my front bumper off. so after the whole front end was repainted that's when I jumped at my 2nd chance to get the PPF put on. I used to use Xpel on cell phone screens back in the day and know that the film does heal itself with heat. My front end is pretty dinged up. So as it get's warmer I'll see how much of that heals on its own. I might help it by applying some heat from a heat gun to the bumper.