GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni Yellow settings

kimchee411

I just installed my Koni yellows with H&R OE sport springs and I am getting noise in the rear too! :(

Initially I torqued the shocks without load, but after seeing it should be at curb weight I went back in and made sure the shock mounts and lower bolts were torqued to spec with the hub center to fender gap at the normally loaded distance by jacking up the lower transverse link. I did not remove and re-torque though as I would technically need to replace the bolts and nuts. Giving the shocks some good hard taps with a closed fist doesn't produce any vibration or rattling.

This is the noise when pushing down on the trunk. Dark/lower pitched sound is with the phone in the trunk and higher pitched is outside. It does sound like it's coming from the upper shock/mount area.

Otherwise the car drives great so far. I would say it's about 20-30% stiffer than stock with rears at 1/4 turn from full soft and fronts at 1/2 turn from full soft.

Last edited:

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
That’s the noise that I’m getting, I replaced the mounts after the fact and the noise still there, inside the car sounds like rubber squeaking at low speeds but pushing down the hatch it sounds exactly like yours. I went under the car last night and had a friend push down on the car and it’s hard to tell from underneath I think that there may be a small gap where the top of the shock meets the mount, I’ll have a go at it this weekend hopefully
I think that I will impact gun that MF instead of going the gentle route :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I'm still getting a consistent squeak noise from my front right and an occasional squeak from the front left. Granted I don't drive much so have only put on maybe 700 miles since install so I'm gonna give it another maybe 700 miles or so before exploring options. The squeak is really annoying lol

As for settings, I think we went 1/2 turn from soft on fronts and slightly less than 1/2 turn on rears. I recommend going a bit stiffer on the rear. I might take them off in the summer and adjust them another 1/4 turn.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I just installed my Koni yellows with H&R OE sport springs and I am getting noise in the rear too! :(

Initially I torqued the shocks without load, but after seeing it should be at curb weight I went back in and made sure the shock mounts and lower bolts were torqued to spec with the hub center to fender gap at the normally loaded distance by jacking up the lower transverse link. I did not remove and re-torque though as I would technically need to replace the bolts and nuts. Giving the shocks some good hard taps with a closed fist doesn't produce any vibration or rattling.

This is the noise when pushing down on the trunk. Dark/lower pitched sound is with the phone in the trunk and higher pitched is outside. It does sound like it's coming from the upper shock/mount area.

Otherwise the car drives great so far. I would say it's about 20-30% stiffer than stock with rears at 1/4 turn from full soft and fronts at 1/2 turn from full soft.

Does it clunk/rattle when driving?

In that video it almost sounds like the shock rod is moving inside the shock mount, as if it's not tight enough IMO

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I moved up from 1/4, to 1/2 to 1 full turn from soft. As I've been increasing the rebound dampening the big highway speed bounces have been getting a lot more in control. I'm talking about going into some big dip and popping back out of it at 80mph. On softer settings I'd get a little bit of that rollar coaster stomach lift. Now it's much more planted. Going to try another half turn to stiff for the ride home. That will get me up to 1.5 turns from soft, .5 from full stiff. Rear re-adjustment to follow once I settle on a front, but I feel at least for these Eibach EU PK springs, stiffer is better and doesn't compromise comfort.

Last edited:

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I moved up from 1/4, to 1/2 to 1 full turn from soft. As I've been increasing the rebound dampening the big highway speed bounces have been getting a lot more in control. I'm talking about going into some big dip and popping back out of it at 80mph. On softer settings I'd get a little bit of that rollar coaster stomach lift. Now it's much more planted. Going to try another half turn to stiff for the ride home. That will get me up to 1.5 turns from soft, .5 from full stiff. Rear re-adjustment to follow once I settle on a front, but I feel at least for these Eibach EU PK springs, stiffer is better and doesn't compromise comfort.

Thanks for the update!!! I'll be looking to put mine on once I get the clutch done.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Looking forward to getting my sport kit installed when I get back from vacation. Seems a few of you are really seeing better overall performance with them turned up a lot stiffer than I thought. I wish Koni had put the adjustment literally anywhere else on the rear shock so it wouldn't be so difficult to tune.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Looking forward to getting my sport kit installed when I get back from vacation. Seems a few of you are really seeing better overall performance with them turned up a lot stiffer than I thought. I wish Koni had put the adjustment literally anywhere else on the rear shock so it wouldn't be so difficult to tune.

I'd imagine rebound damping could be lower for progressive springs, but stiff linear springs tends to bounce back pretty hard and need adequate rebound damping to match the rate.

613B6

Ready to race!
Just like to report left the struts on 1 full turn from the softest and the car rides like a dream. So impressed with these Konis, Im on ED springs.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Just like to report left the struts on 1 full turn from the softest and the car rides like a dream. So impressed with these Konis, Im on ED springs.

Yep, I think 1.5 turns may have been too much. Hwy speed dips and bumps were feeling less floaty but more frequent with 1.5 turns. Really though I believe this is more about matching the spring rates than anything else. Something between 1.0 and 1.5 turns from soft should be perfect for mine, will try 1.25 next time.

What did you do with the rears Sam?

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Yep, I think 1.5 turns may have been too much. Hwy speed dips and bumps were feeling less floaty but more frequent with 1.5 turns. Really though I believe this is more about matching the spring rates than anything else. Something between 1.0 and 1.5 turns from soft should be perfect for mine, will try 1.25 next time.

How many turns from full soft to full stiff? 2 turns total?

613B6

Ready to race!

Left the rears the same at 1 turn as well, golden, perfectly matched with the front.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
How many turns from full soft to full stiff? 2 turns total?

Right. I'll verify visually, but it is supposed to be 2. I went full stiff and backed off 1/2 a turn, instead of full soft + 1.5 turns. Should be the same thing.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Right. I'll verify visually, but it is supposed to be 2. I went full stiff and backed off 1/2 a turn, instead of full soft + 1.5 turns. Should be the same thing.

Great, thanks, I’m full soft now so I’ll try half and see how it feels since I’m still dealing with the noise on the rears .

kimchee411

Does it clunk/rattle when driving?

In that video it almost sounds like the shock rod is moving inside the shock mount, as if it's not tight enough IMO

I can only hear it when driving at slow speeds, especially over gravel/rough surfaces.

Pretty damn sure it's the bump stops. I noticed when first putting on the mount/dust cover/bump stop assembly that it went on really tight and I really had to push down. I just took one off again to inspect and when I put it on and slowly push down all the way to the bottom of travel where it hits the bump stop, then give it some hard pushes from there, I hear the same creaky rubber noise.

The OEM rear bump stops are very long and I think there is very little travel before hitting them on my setup, which is almost as mild as it gets (H&R OE Sport are supposedly about -.0.75") . They need to be trimmed or replaced with shorter ones and/or possibly bored out a bit and/or lubricated so they are not so squeaky. Not sure if they're supposed to be that tight. This is my first go at working on suspension and I don't remember if they were that tight coming off the OEM shocks.

Anyway, I didn't have right zip ties to remove the dust covers and put them back on so I didn't trim them. I did make sure to push the bump stops firmly up to the mounts before reinstalling and the push test yielded slightly better results on the side I worked on--I basically had to sit in the trunk and bounce a little to hear it on that side--but I still hear it while driving slowly.

Is there anything that needs to be done to install the bump stops other than just putting them on? Like is there a notch they settle into or something?

I'm going to take it in to my local shop this week to let them handle it and will report back.

Anyone running Koni yellows with OEM bump stops and lowering springs NOT getting creaky noises from the rear?