GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI burnt clutch?

alexnewman

Hey,
I've got a gti from 2014 (64 plate) manual, currently sitting with 22k miles on it.
I got it just over a year ago when it had 6k miles on.
The other night i was driving home around 75mph in 6th gear with my foot on the rest pedals waiting for the car to do it's thing, i put my foot on the accelerator when it was slowing down as i was about to overtake and my car just jumped to 6 revs, it's worth noting that my car was in the garage the same day as i've had a problem with auto hold not starting and my car getting stuck when trying to pull away, however they couldn't find any issues. at this point my first thought was to get my girlfriend to record what was happening to a) prove it wasn't me with my foot on the clutch and b) that the issue exists (hindsight probably not the best idea). i started breaking as i was joining a roundabout, i left the roundabout and joined the dual carriageway and tried to accelerate from about 30mph in 3rd gear and again it was jumping to 6 revs, at this point i panicked and put the hazards on and pulled into nearest lay-by and called some people to help, my car was absolutely stinking of clutch and i mean badly. we waited about 30 minutes and drove home. this was the 22nd of december and it still smells, it's nowhere near as bad and it doesn't smell inside anymore with the fans on (the other day it would be fine until fans were on) but outsidenit still smells after driving it.

Seems to me like my clutch slipped the other day,g i'm waiting for someone to have a look but i neee to put my mind at rest. i've still been driving it but i've been very conservative with it, always 2-3 revs with the odd burst to 4revs to see how it handles it.

Does anyone know what this could be? should i expect to have a broken clutch based on what i said before?
will it be fine and the smell is just lingering?
obviously i know nobody can confirm but just some advice would be great.

Also how much does a mk7 gti clutch cost? i haven't seen any price sheets but i am expecting about £1000gbp.

Thanks

Last edited:

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
It sounds like your pressure plate may be worn out. If you're going to need a swap, don't get another stock one unless you're ready to do it all over again. Since you're in Europe, you can probably order the parts cheaper than we can in the states. But see this thread for a stronger clutch option for cheap.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18913

Be ready to at least have your flywheel resurfaced if not replaced.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
It sounds like your pressure plate may be worn out. If you're going to need a swap, don't get another stock one unless you're ready to do it all over again. Since you're in Europe, you can probably order the parts cheaper than we can in the states. But see this thread for a stronger clutch option for cheap.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18913

Be ready to at least have your flywheel resurfaced if not replaced.

It's the clutch disk not the pressure plate. You can't wear out the pressure plate.

You need a complete new assembly. It's up to you whether you want to install another OEM one or upgrade to one that can take more power and abuse. Since you bought it used perhaps the previous owner beat the crap out the car or didn't know how to drive. Assuming you didn't/do.

Last edited:

JDMGolfR

Ready to race!
what is the likely hood of needing a full clutch remacenent? i.e would i know if it's totally broke from when i drive it?

Likely replacement, the labor taken to swap the clutch over is a lot so it's a good idea to put something decent in there while it's apart.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
It's the clutch disk not the pressure plate. You can't wear out the pressure plate.

You need a complete new assembly. It's up to you whether you want to install another OEM one or upgrade to one that can take more power and abuse. Since you bought it used perhaps the previous owner beat the crap out the car or didn't know how to drive. Assuming you didn't/do.

The fingers on a pressure plate can weaken with use, which causes weakened clamping pressure. This is how there's plenty of friction material left on the disc, but yet it still suddenly starts to slip on the manual GTI/R.

Maybe this will help the OP:
https://www.carid.com/articles/advantages-of-purchasing-a-clutch-kit-versus-a-clutch-disc.html

But always best to at least do the disc and PP together.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
OP - your car should still have some warranty. I know the clutch can be considered as a wear and tear item but 22k is no miles at all. I guess what im trying to say is try a main dealer first to get it sorted and dont let them pull your pants down, the obvious fault is the clutch facing and pressure plate but it could be hundreds of different things too. Don't rule out an hydraulic fault.

alexnewman

OP - your car should still have some warranty. I know the clutch can be considered as a wear and tear item but 22k is no miles at all. I guess what im trying to say is try a main dealer first to get it sorted and dont let them pull your pants down, the obvious fault is the clutch facing and pressure plate but it could be hundreds of different things too. Don't rule out an hydraulic fault.

it's going into lookers vw on wednesday, not being the best with clutch knowledge i have a feeling i won't be able to fight back if they say something to prove it's me whose done it. i've read he clutch is only under warranty for first 6 months or 6k miles i think, whichever comes first.

i am taking it as a positive sign it isn't slipping all the time and it hasn't slipped since the other day but i also haven't red lined it yet, hopefully wednesday brings back news. I don't think i'd be able to get this under warranty due to it being a wear and tear part, i agree rs not many miles. it as far as they're concerned i could have just sat with my foot on the accelerator and clutch and just waited for days...

Also thanks all for links