GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TTRS clutch installed

drshark

Ready to race!
I started with a hybrid RS clutch.
After ~13k miles it started slipping stage 2 power around 4.5k rpms.
Ended up replacing it with a southbend stage 3 daily clutch.

Well, there you have it... Don’t push the limit to save just a few dollars!

garage-tuner

Backstory: Unitronic Stage 1+ installed last month and instantly burned the OEM clutch, as expected. So, after research, I decided to go with the Audi TTRS stock clutch, rated about for about 30% more torque. Here’s first day observations...

Torque holding: several near 10/10 pulls without any issues.

Pedal pressure: I don’t feel the difference, but the pressure plate springs are significantly stiffer, so surely it requires more leg effort.

Engagement: exactly as the R’s—smooth and silky, no chatter and forgiving as ever.

Location: this is the biggest change and not a complaint, just different—engagement occurs slightly closer to the floor. The installer says it’s because the R clutch disk is thicker than the Audi.

Bottom line: if you want a stock clutch feel, but need more torque capacity this is the one for you. And it’s cheaper than any of the after market alternatives...

Shawn

P.S.: since they were down there, they installed the R34 dogbone insert. The shifting is so much tighter, the way it should have come from the factory.

Hello Shawn,

Thank you for your initial review of the installation of the TTRS clutch.

If possible, could you please provide an update as to your experience with this clutch given that it has been installed for a few months now?

Also, can you please provide a list of the parts and part numbers you used for the clutch installation?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Alex.

drshark

Ready to race!
Hello Shawn,

If possible, could you please provide an update as to your experience with this clutch given that it has been installed for a few months now?

Also, can you please provide a list of the parts and part numbers you used for the clutch installation?

Thank you.

Alex.

I would say it's been a success, with the same commentary now as I related then. The wife has driven the car a few times and doesn't even notice any change from the OEM clutch.

One very minor glitch: loaded with people and stuff, uphill, and went to pass another car. I mashed the pedal without downshifting from about 55 mph on the way to 75 mph. There was one instantaneous slip, enough for my wife to ask what happened. The slippage hasn't occurred again since.

This one event is evidence to me that with Unitronic Stage 1+, we're right on the edge of the actual holding power of the TTRS clutch. I would not recommend going to any more power (torque) than that.

The bottom line: I'm very happy with OEM-feel of the TTRS clutch, but it definitely has limitations.

Shawn

drshark

Ready to race!
Hey how much did you pay for your installation? I have my ttrs parts in the garage. Waiting for my clutch to die.

It's REALLY expensive, as it's a multi-hour job. I forget, $500-600? Something like that...

Shawn

drshark

Ready to race!
Hello Shawn,

Thank you.

Alex.

Ooops, forgot the request about parts...

I went easy and paid for the DAP TTRS kit.
https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/how-to-install-a-ttrs-clutch-on-a-mk7.html

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Hello Shawn,

Thank you.

Alex.

I went the DIY TT-RS clutch kit a while back and it has been holding great and will save you a bunch of money in the process.

Here is the thread for it and lots of people have had success

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18913

garage-tuner

Hello Shawn,

Thank you for the detailed feedback and DAP link, it is very much appreciated.

Hello 2slowvw,

Thank you for the link, looks like plenty of good information.

Cheers,

Alex.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
20k+ miles since I had my TTRS clutch kit installed and never experienced slippage no matter what the use was. Very satisfied for a GTI stage II.
I’m planning to upgrade to an Is38 and most probably it will still be ok.

Last edited: