GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

Itgb

Passed Driver's Ed
The front of the exhaust tunnel - super easy. 5 minutes total. No confusion, just had to figure out which side was forward and which holes I needed to use.

The rear exhaust tunnel - I had to remove a speed washer that was fitted to one of the rear two locations (the out board side of the car), which wouldn't twist off. I had to go in with needle nose pliers and rip it out. Then placement of the plastic panel was fine. I used new speed washers at the rear attachment points, but the plastic nuts would probably be better. I did notice one area where there was some flex in the panel, and it would touch against something else at maximum flex, even with the speed washers pushed up as tight as they would go. I didn't want to ever hear the panel fluttering against anything and making noise, so I wanted to remedy the flex. I pushed out some of the aluminum heat shield around the gas tank so that it was in contact with the plastic panel. It supported the panel enough that the panel no longer flexed, and the only thing that changed was the gap between the heat shield and the gas tank.

Since we have the cat in the way, did you use the super small front exhaust cover or the longer one? Looked like the longer one would almost touch the cat and maybe melt from the heat.

I only installed the rear exhaust cover myself and hated those speed washers. Unfortunately, the rear inboard screw position wouldn't engage the threads on the plastic nut so I was forced to leave the speed washer there.

Derf

Ready to race!
Since we have the cat in the way, did you use the super small front exhaust cover or the longer one? Looked like the longer one would almost touch the cat and maybe melt from the heat.

I only installed the rear exhaust cover myself and hated those speed washers. Unfortunately, the rear inboard screw position wouldn't engage the threads on the plastic nut so I was forced to leave the speed washer there.

I used the longer one in the front. No issue with touching the cat. But I have a GTI, not an R, so the cat is up high in the exhaust tunnel, not down low to make room for a drive shaft. If you have an R, there might be an issue with the cat touching the longer cover. But I dunno.

In the rear exhaust tunnel cover, the heat insulation on the exhaust tunnel is held in place by a speed washer from the factory. Since the cover also has a speed washer installed, you would be stacking two speed washers on the same stud. But the stud isn’t long enough. Consequently I removed the speed washer that was installed to hold up the heat insulation, and relied on the exhaust tunnel cover I installed to hold up the heat insulation with its built-in speed washer. Make sense?

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
I wondered when someone would find it....

I didn't mention it (only found out about it this year)….because its metal (alu I think) it will make more noise when stones hit it compared to our GRP version..

So might be a better cover if you retrofit the Audi subframe....:cool:

Hey Dave could you provide a breakdown for this even if it requires another thread. I have the Aluminum subframe on my golf and one on the way for my wagon. I like the longer length of this to cover the exposed subframe. I already have an alltrack GRP tray, but I definitely want this instead!

Also related to my wagon is there any OEM skid tray for the 4motion fuel tank. Went down a dirt road/trail the past week and noticed scuff marks on the bottom of the fuel tank! That's no good! Here's a good undercarriage shot showing the exposed tanks and how they sit almost level with the body trays...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hey Dave could you provide a breakdown for this even if it requires another thread. I have the Aluminum subframe on my golf and one on the way for my wagon. I like the longer length of this to cover the exposed subframe. I already have an alltrack GRP tray, but I definitely want this instead!

Also related to my wagon is there any OEM skid tray for the 4motion fuel tank. Went down a dirt road/trail the past week and noticed scuff marks on the bottom of the fuel tank! That's no good! Here's a good undercarriage shot showing the exposed tanks and how they sit almost level with the body trays...

the nearest item for the fuel tanks it this..

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a4+allroad+quattro/a4ar/2016-673/2/201-201010/#13

Its a huge long shot as its A4 all road....& VAG never do anything to cover the fuel tanks...only the LPG Natural gas tanks which replace our GSW spare wheel well...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
the nearest item for the fuel tanks it this..

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a4+allroad+quattro/a4ar/2016-673/2/201-201010/#13

Its a huge long shot as its A4 all road....& VAG never do anything to cover the fuel tanks...only the LPG Natural gas tanks which replace our GSW spare wheel well...

Looks like I'm better off taking some flat stock bending it and trying to find a couple mounts. The guys on vortex seem to think the tank can take a few hits, but I'd prefer not to do that lol. Thanks Dave!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

I've found the bolts & the page...but no front brackets as looking at the bolt count the front brackets are different...& just one bolt per side...& the metal front edge fixes more to the bumper also..or another reinforced strip

Here is the parts page:-

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+cabriolet/a3ca/2016-778/8/825-825000/#27

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
I've found the bolts & the page...but no front brackets as looking at the bolt count the front brackets are different...& just one bolt per side...& the metal front edge fixes more to the bumper also..or another reinforced strip

Here is the parts page:-

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+cabriolet/a3ca/2016-778/8/825-825000/#27

Awesome! The Audi parts page is totally wrong and shows pictures of just the aero tray with various part numbers for the aluminum tray. I'll stop by the dealer and see what I come up with. I really like the look of that one!

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
5Q0825229C - WITH heatshield

5Q0825230H - WITHOUT heatshield

Part size is the same.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
So im trying to peruse this list on a long car trip.

Would anyone mind helping
15 GTI PP

I have a few goals, one is smooth out the airflow for track use

So the aero skid tray got my attention
3Q0825236-Q (right?

I also know there is a metal subframe cover too. Or I heard of it. I want to use that as I want to chassis mount my race splitter to it. Would anyone have the part number for that piece or something similar? Mount up this brace then find a way to make new brackets to mount the splitter without having to drill the bumper excessively

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So im trying to peruse this list on a long car trip.

Would anyone mind helping
15 GTI PP

I have a few goals, one is smooth out the airflow for track use

So the aero skid tray got my attention
3Q0825236-Q (right?

I also know there is a metal subframe cover too. Or I heard of it. I want to use that as I want to chassis mount my race splitter to it. Would anyone have the part number for that piece or something similar? Mount up this brace then find a way to make new brackets to mount the splitter without having to drill the bumper excessively

I posted the parts in the first post & the link to the etka page for the Audi that the metal/alu version comes from...however if you look at the page it appears to fix to the front bumper as far as I can tell...I can't find any front brackets for it....although I have not delved into the Audi specs in 1000% detail, that's all the info I have found...

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I posted the parts in the first post & the link to the etka page for the Audi that the metal/alu version comes from...however if you look at the page it appears to fix to the front bumper as far as I can tell...I can't find any front brackets for it....although I have not delved into the Audi specs in 1000% detail, that's all the info I have found...

interesting thank you! I have all the parts and bolts saved. This is a great thread. I got home and used my computer way easier.

This is wonderful, im gonna do the vent guard, the tunnel bit, and the rear tunnel.

This has been wonderful, super excited to run it on track