GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Correcting Pure White Paint

pingman222

I got into detailing almost a decade ago now, when I purchased a bunch of stuff to do paint corrections on my cars at the time, an atomic blue 06 civic coupe and a Suzuka blue 04 s2000. I bought a flex 3401 and used megs 83/80 combos on those with very good success.

My stuff has pretty much been in storage since then and I haven't done much paint correction for a while, but I started at my pure white GTI and could use some guidance choosing some pad/product combos for the correction part.

The swirls aren't so bad, and with it being my daily, I'm trying to convince myself that 80% correction is sufficient.

With that being said, I did a test panel using M105+yellow for 1 pass, followed by a pass of M205+white.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience with the pure white VW's and what product it took and how many passes to try?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

cruzmisl

Ready to race!
I don't have M105 or 205 but I do have Menzerna Super Intensive Polish + Super Finish.

I got pretty good results using an orange pad and white pad, but I had to do multiple passes. SIP is less aggressive than 105 though.

Question for you: Does your paint stain easily from contaminates such as sap, bugs, and poo? I always have my pure white waxed but almost everything seems to leave marks in my paint in some way unless I get it off immediately.

pingman222

I decided since I need to daily drive my GTI, and I have only a little free time to polish every night, that I'm doing my polishing in stages like 1 or 2 panels a night at a time.

I got my passenger front door done a couple nights ago and got pretty good results using 105 + yellow LC CCS pad. 1 application of that (misting water on the surface near the end of working life to extend it about 3 more passes), got me to me happy medium of about 80-90% corrected. I just don't have the time or patience to be chasing all the RIDS on this car.

To be honest...the application of 105 finished down pretty well, in that the average person would probably say that's more than acceptable to go right to LSP. I followed it with a white pad + 205 out of principal, but even then the end result was probably only marginally better.

Here's some shots of that door, and also in comparison to the rear door which wasn't corrected. I also polished up the black door pillar with ultimate compound.

pingman222

I don't have M105 or 205 but I do have Menzerna Super Intensive Polish + Super Finish.

I got pretty good results using an orange pad and white pad, but I had to do multiple passes. SIP is less aggressive than 105 though.

Question for you: Does your paint stain easily from contaminates such as sap, bugs, and poo? I always have my pure white waxed but almost everything seems to leave marks in my paint in some way unless I get it off immediately.
I don't notice that my PW stains very easily to be honest, but I've also only owned it for a month. I would hope that wouldn't be an issue for me!

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
M105 and 205 are great, but these days there are far better options in terms of ease to work with. I have fallen for Sonax Profaline Perfect finish and Sonax Paint Cleanser. Both go a looooong way and are so damn easy to work with. I haven't personally polished a Mk7 yet though. Next weekend I'll be putting my buddy's white Sport under the scalpel. Looking forward to reporting results. Probably going to finish his with CarPro Essence since we are installing a coating on it also.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
I’m a huge fan of m205. M105 I think has too much dust. Have you looked into the BOSS correcting cream/fast correcting cream from Griots? Supposed to be amazing. I’m correcting my car this weekend, and just picked some up.

pingman222

I use the M105/205 combo too and agree the 105 dusts a lot.
I remember finding this back in the day. It seemed that 105 dusted a lot and also flashed quickly. However, the weather here has been a bit on the cooler side when I've been working and ive been noticing less dust and more working time with it...haven't had any issues.

I also should say I think it helps that I'm only doing a few panels at a time though, and I'm washing my pad at the end of the night. Keeps it fresher for the next day

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
MY buddy and I polished his pure white sport last weekend with CarPro essence. It was my first time using on a machine and took my about half the roof to figure it out. As with most CarPro products, less is more. Gloss was noticeably improved, but it's cutting power seems to be determined almost entirely by the pad. Using a fine polish/finishing pad only removed spots and some oxidation. Which, I was expecting to be the case prior to. For those interested the weapon of choice was the Griot's 6" polisher.

I look forward to some post rain pictures from him, I wanna see how Essence beads, high and tight as most SiO2 I would imagine :D

Oh, and topped with Reload, still my favorite.

https://www.detailedimage.com/CarPro-M53/Essence-Xtreme-Gloss-Enhancer-P1104/8-oz-S2/

https://www.detailedimage.com/Chemical-Guys-M31/Hex-Logic-Quantum-Buffing-Pad-Black-P1542/55-S1/

Links to products I used.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I remember finding this back in the day. It seemed that 105 dusted a lot and also flashed quickly. However, the weather here has been a bit on the cooler side when I've been working and ive been noticing less dust and more working time with it...haven't had any issues.

I also should say I think it helps that I'm only doing a few panels at a time though, and I'm washing my pad at the end of the night. Keeps it fresher for the next day

Washing your pad after each use is very very important. Idk who would want to use a pad that is clogged with a bunch of dried product....yikes!

pingman222

Washing your pad after each use is very very important. Idk who would want to use a pad that is clogged with a bunch of dried product....yikes!

no doubt, i wasn't saying that i don't wash my pads out, but moreso that usually i'll use a pad a little more than just 1 panel before i swap to a new one and wash it, but in this scenario with only doing little portions at a time, i end up washing the pad at the end of the work day to start fresh the next, and its getting a more frequent wash than i normally would.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
no doubt, i wasn't saying that i don't wash my pads out, but moreso that usually i'll use a pad a little more than just 1 panel before i swap to a new one and wash it, but in this scenario with only doing little portions at a time, i end up washing the pad at the end of the work day to start fresh the next, and its getting a more frequent wash than i normally would.

Wash your pads.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Heck, I will use one pad on the whole car usually. I am never working on something that is so bad my pad needs changed before I finish. Thank goodness!