GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

6MT New Clutch at 17k review and story

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
So I started to get slippage at 15k. Noticed it more after a JB1 add. I went with a Clutch master FX250 with a Sachs DMF as I didn't want the SMF after doing research an reading many threads. I also replaced the Slave cylinder. After speaking to a few Transmission shops(including the Dealer) I went with a Trans shop that Was highly recommended by a Co-worker. They did it for a extremely fair price and spoke to me about everything up front and during process. All went well except when it came to bleeding the clutch but it was my fault as I didn't mention the there was a ECS Clutch stop installed. So far 180 miles(300+ to go on break in period) and satisfied but I am going to install the Bleeder block and braided clutch line from ECS after the new year. I will report on this as I go through the process as I feel I need to pay back all of the other Poster's that I have read and give a fair review of the products and experience.
PS The 1st gear/reverse engagement feels a little sticky and does not smooth as factory did but I am chalking this down to break in period and it being a more performance clutch type. But I did reach out to Clutch masters to see if this is normal. I will keep you posted on their helpfulness also.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
interested and following.. Out of interest how much did they charge in labor ? I know my time will come soon enough. I have a jb4 and hit it hard on the stock clutch, but since it aint broken, no point fixing. Plus i'm in the minority and enjoy the softer pedal As much as i'd like to do a DIY I have all the tools except a way to brace the engine. So that would be a DIY expense. Also i'd have to work off the ground, and my concern is will i have enough clearance. I only have standard jack stands. Mind you, my trolley jacks could probably help out there.. I also have the VAQ to get out to worry about.

Anyway, ranting on.. Following for now.

Crackness1

Ready to race!
interested and following.. Out of interest how much did they charge in labor ?...

You'll find prices will vary depending on where you are in the country, and where you go.

I went to a smaller shop but still well known in VW circles in Miami (about an hour away from me with no traffic); he had installed several (10+) of these dkm clutches previously; actually had a new set in stock (where most places are sold out) so I bought it from him as well... Charged me $350 for the install.

MSRP of the stage 3 clutch is about $1400, my all in black Friday clutch cost + tax + install was came out to about $1,712.

Just passed 600 miles of my 1000 mile break in, and it's going pretty swell.

I've also heard of a guy that does a VW clutch install on the east coast (north, either PA or VA, don't remember) for the same $350, so It didn't seem "too low to be true" to me. It DID take the whole day, but it was a Saturday and I was off, so no problem for me. Guy did it by himself, but he had a lift and obviously all the needed tools.

Check your regional forums and Facebook groups.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
15k on a clutch on a non-tuned car, and it's toast? Good gawd man, what kind of abuse was that thing subjected to? I realize the stock clutch is no gem, but that's crazy.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
15k on a clutch on a non-tuned car, and it's toast? Good gawd man, what kind of abuse was that thing subjected to? I realize the stock clutch is no gem, but that's crazy.

Does seem a little premature but he did say it had a jb1. But even so, still premature. I put a stock clutch through the ringer with a NPM for 30k and never had a single issue. Highway pulls and red lines on a daily basis. You and your luck i guess.

Crackness1

Ready to race!
15k on a clutch on a non-tuned car, and it's toast?

Could be like me... I was slipping that early with a jb1... But I just dealt with it, as it was only when floored and I don't floor it often. I got a downpipe installed a couple months ago, and it slipped a little more, but still nowhere near toast. But I now wanted to enjoy the power, so I went for it at about 32k miles.

If I hadn't added any power, no doubt I wouldn't have needed a replacement for a good long while.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
Paid $550 plus tax so just under $600. As for the early clutch kill I don't understand it as I have had 3 other manual cars over the years and have over 100k miles driving and never had to put a clutch on a car. I know I have been hard on it but never expected it to go this fast. Granted they were never as sporty as the GTI. Closest was a 2001 Saab 93. My theory is that the clutch bleader block that slows engagement on quick shifts and a heavy gas pedal foot along with radio too loud might have been a major contributing factor.

Just a theory anyway.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
You'll find prices will vary depending on where you are in the country, and where you go.

I went to a smaller shop but still well known in VW circles in Miami (about an hour away from me with no traffic); he had installed several (10+) of these dkm clutches previously; actually had a new set in stock (where most places are sold out) so I bought it from him as well... Charged me $350 for the install.

MSRP of the stage 3 clutch is about $1400, my all in black Friday clutch cost + tax + install was came out to about $1,712.

Just passed 600 miles of my 1000 mile break in, and it's going pretty swell.

I've also heard of a guy that does a VW clutch install on the east coast (north, either PA or VA, don't remember) for the same $350, so It didn't seem "too low to be true" to me. It DID take the whole day, but it was a Saturday and I was off, so no problem for me. Guy did it by himself, but he had a lift and obviously all the needed tools.

Check your regional forums and Facebook groups.

Crackness, who is this shop ? i come down to FL for some winter sun often, so could be tempted to pay him a visit.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Got a quote of $550 up here in Canada for installation. Thinking of the TTRS clutch and pressure plate. I'm just over 20,000 km with a JB4 now and experiencing slip in higher gears, especially when it's cold out.

For those of you experiencing slip, do you just kill the stock clutch or swap it out as preventative measure and so you can actually put some power down?

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
670 miles on new clutch. Still feels a bit sticky but much improved. Smooth when cold but once it warms up a bit it shows up. That be said I am extremely satisfied with the performance of it though. I wish Clutch Masters would have answered my contact I filled out from their website if this is normal feel. I still have to install the restriction free bleeder block and new clutch line.
One thing I do really like on the new setup it the loss of that bouncy feeling in low gear I think I can attribute this to the Sachs DMF as it may be a little stiffer.

I will keep updating maybe in another 500 miles. And surely after the parts go in.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Say it takes 7 hours. That's $50 an hour just straight up paying yourself labor. Seems fair to me.

Have yet to find a reputable shop around here willing to do a clutch for less than $600. I've seen quotes as high as $1K. Its crazy. The going rate even at indie shops starts at like $100/hr.

Well mine was gone with 500 miles on the brand new car, everything stock. Not gone as in a little slip in 6th on the highway, gone as in car was borderline undriveable, slipping hard in like 3rd gear just getting around town lol to be fair, oem replacement has been issue free for 7K+ miles but still wouldn't trust it with any tune.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie

Mine slipped at 10k, stock. Disk, PP and flywheel all looked essentially brand new so its just a weak PP.