KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Simple really, isn't it? This thread wouldn't exist if OP didn't let their washer bottle drain too low!

Unfortunately, there's nothing anyone here can do about the amount of times the alert comes up, only turn it off all together.

To your knowledge, yes. He is looking for somebody that knows a bit more than you!

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
To your knowledge, yes. He is looking for somebody that knows a bit more than you!

It's not something you can change; it's hard coded into the firmware of the BCM, which sends the CANBUS signal to flash the alert. It's either on or it's off - there's no adaptation to change the frequency of the alerts.

The MQB platform isn't THAT customisable.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Did the coding under byte 14. Thanks IWMTom and StealthGTI. That did the trick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
LOL, am I the only one who appreciates having that alert? If I'm making a 250 mile trip during or after a snow storm I WANT to know when I'm low so I can pull over and refill before it runs out and my window gets smeared with sand and salt.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Pfftt german engineering. You know what VW shouldve done like other car makers have been doing for decades... make the wiper fluid level visible on the reservoir. You can track the level of every fluid that goes into your car: gas, brake, radiator, transmission. All except wiper fluid. Who cares if Im low? I want to know how much I have left!

It sucks when filling the reservoir too. If you fill it up too quickly, you can accidentally make it overflow because all you can see is this little tube popping up.

Yes, I probably hate this thing more than I should.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Expected behavior for a low fluid level would be a single alert. Unexpected, *unwanted* behavior would be for the alert to go off every couple minutes. Hello car I got the f***ing message. I dont need this light and chiming sound to go off constantly as if the car is going to explode due to low washer fluid. The car doesnt behave like this when my fuel is low— which is obviously more critical.

It keeps dinging because the fluid is low but not completely empty. As you drive around, the remaining fluid is sloshing in the tank coming in and out of contact with the level sensor. VW doesn't intend for it to keep beeping at you - it's just the sensor detecting and then not detecting fluid over and over again.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
VW doesn't intend for it to keep beeping at you - it's just the sensor detecting and then not detecting fluid over and over again.

I get that. Doesnt change the fact that its still very annoying despite VWs intentions. Its a minor design flaw.

stm25rs

Glad this thread's here. Mine's been going off....pretty sure it's from Rain-X additive. I haven't used the orange Rain-X washer fluid, just the additive. New owner, 3k miles, wasn't aware of the Rain-X fluid sensor issue. Light first came on and I thought "that's strange, there's no way I've used a full tank of fluid already."

Went to add some and poured in maybe 1 cup of liquid before starting to see it in the tube. Then googled and found out about the Rain-X thing.

stm25rs

I dug into this a bit, using OBDEleven instead of VCDS, and found two settings in the Long Coding section of Central Electronics (09):

1) "Insufficient Washer Fluid" - I set mine to "Not Installed"

2) Byte 14 Bit 2 "Washer Fluid Level Sensor" - Unchecking this box sets it to "Not Installed"

Including some info here in case someone else finds this thread and runs in to the same thing...

My Central Electrics in OBD11 only has long coding under the subsystems section, and none of them were a Byte 14.

I disabled my warning via Adaptations > HW_Verbau > Insufficient Washer Fluid, and setting it to not installed.

Credit goes to southpawboston's post here for pointing me in the right direction:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=692337&postcount=5