GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake fluid puddle on top of transmission

sshlyk

Ready to race!
I've noticed small puddle of brake fluid on top of my transmission. Dealer could not find any leak, so I wiped it off but it is back after few week. Seems like reservoir and cap do not have any residue. I'd like to learn possible sources of this leak just in case I need to monitor it.

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 3.10.57 PM.jpg

Last edited:

cb1111

brake fluid.

(Break fluid is something entirely different...)
Is that what happens when you pee doing a break dance?

If that is brake fluid, then I'd give the car to the dealer and say "call me when you've found the leak and fixed it. I'll return your loaner then"

If they say anything, then ask them "do you really expect me to drive around in a car with leaking brake fluid? Please put that in writing so my heirs can own this dealership when the brakes fail."

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Are you sure it's brake fluid? Have you touched and smelled it? When there is an issue with the DSG filter seal or cap, the fluid will leak right there.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Either your brake fluid is old, or that's trans fluid.

Brake fluid should be almost clear. DSG fluid is a caramel color. A quick smell test should confirm, they smell totally different.

adam1991

Banned
Is that what happens when you pee doing a break dance?

If that is brake fluid, then I'd give the car to the dealer and say "call me when you've found the leak and fixed it. I'll return your loaner then"

If they say anything, then ask them "do you really expect me to drive around in a car with leaking brake fluid? Please put that in writing so my heirs can own this dealership when the brakes fail."

This.

sshlyk

Ready to race!
Mechanic told me DSG fluid smells terrible and I would definately notice. This stuff almost have no smell to me, maybe a little bit sweet. I was thinking of wrapping some lines in paper to help me detect leak easier, but it is probably bad idea.
I have only two dealers in my arear, and one is just terrible, so I am left with only one option.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
It doesn't smell that bad at all and that looks like it is weeping out of the filter housing, as when my gearbox failed the filter housing was smashed and that whole area was flooded with fluid. I would get them to check it as you don't want that running low.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
The only thing that can leak on top of the trans that is related to brake fluid is the bleeder block and line for the slave cylinder. You can inspect both if you pull the airbox off and have a look.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
The only thing that can leak on top of the trans that is related to brake fluid is the bleeder block and line for the slave cylinder. You can inspect both if you pull the airbox off and have a look.

Seriously? No way! His DSG as noted by the DSG filter in the picture, is actually a manual with a slave cylinder? Color me purple batman.

Thank you guys. I'll double check dsg filter housing, and bleeder block (just need to find out how it looks :) )

There is no bleeder block, that is for manuals only. The russiankid couldn't tell you had a DSG...

But anyway, with that much fluid you would notice your brake fluid reservoir low, depending on brake pad wear could even be under the min line. If it is truly brake fluid and not DSG.

Last edited:

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Seriously? No way! His DSG as noted by the DSG filter in the picture, is actually a manual with a slave cylinder? Color me purple batman.

There is no bleeder block, that is for manuals only. The russiankid couldn't tell you had a DSG...

But anyway, with that much fluid you would notice your brake fluid reservoir low, depending on brake pad wear could even be under the min line. If it is truly brake fluid and not DSG.

Well considering I've never had a DSG, no I didn't notice. Not sure why the smart ass remark was necessary but you do you.

sshlyk

Ready to race!

Yeah, I am keeping an eye on brake fluid level. It is probably at 90% or so. I was told DSG fluid stinks badly, and this stuff does not and does not look like motor oil, coolant or washer fluid (that would just evaporate). I smelled brake fluid reservoir cap and it seems the same.

Just trying to understand what exactly can leak fluid under normal conditions. reservoir cap? Is this stuff under such pressure that it can leak through the cap rubber seal? Would I see some residue than or brake fluid is super thin?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I am keeping an eye on brake fluid level. It is probably at 90% or so. I was told DSG fluid stinks badly, and this stuff does not and does not look like motor oil, coolant or washer fluid (that would just evaporate). I smelled brake fluid reservoir cap and it seems the same.

Just trying to understand what exactly can leak fluid under normal conditions. reservoir cap? Is this stuff under such pressure that it can leak through the cap rubber seal? Would I see some residue than or brake fluid is super thin?

It can be forced out of the cap if there is pressure, but that usually only happens if overfilled. Usually it will be clear that the reservoir has had leakage. Dirt will stick to the leaking brake fluid.

Is your brake fluid clear? If so, that's def DSG fluid. There is an O-Ring on the DSG filter housing (just like the oil filter housing). Chances are it's as simple as that.

Replace $2 O-Ring, torque to spec, done.