GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buckled wheels.

bri_jnr

Iv had my GTD for two years now, its been a great car but the only issue I have had is with the wheels. They are shocking!! I wouldn't say I have hit any big pot holes but i now have two buckled wheels.

Im not throwing good money after bad and buying new wheels.

Has anyone had them changed under warranty?

bri_jnr

I have hit a pothole and buckled on wheel, which i had straightened, :-/
But now a second wheel is warped/buckled.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Do you have the standard 18" Nogaros or optional larger 19" Santiago wheels? I've heard of the Santiagos being more prone to pothole damage than the Nogaros as the lower profile tyres fitted to the 19" wheels provides less cushioning / absorption from potholes than the 18" wheels. The 19" optional Pretorias fitted to the Golf R also seem to be more prone to buckling than the standard 18" Cadiz alloys.

I don't think VW will replace wheels under warranty that have been damaged / buckled through impact damage such as hitting a pothole, although there's no harm in asking them.

bri_jnr

Standard 18s, yes they are buckled. Confimed today. Im doing 10-15k on b roads in scotland, whixh are compariblible to roads in syria.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Team dynamics pro race 1.2 & 1.3 17" no problems on the back roads here...well the Glenshee to Nairn run, or around the Aberdeen to Bannf to Cullen roads, no problems two 1/2 years....

Half your problem is a thin sidewall & the heaviest Golf engine...your tyres are the same width as my 17" & I have the same 312mm front discs...so you can buy a cheaper 17" 225 wide tyre & fit to a 17" rim & gain more comfort....

From my own experience very most OE wheels are heavy and expensive,
but at least they're strong! I had issues with (19") wheels in the past,
but these were aftermarket.
If you have issues with bent 18" wheels I'd recommend swapping to 17"
wheels with 235/45 R17 tyres. These are available with either 94 or 97
load rating, while the latter is strongest. The most robust alternative is
running a 7x16 wheel with 215/55 R16 tyre. 16" is minimum to clear the
GTD's front brakes.

Lastly, these are both decently priced, 'OE style' and strong: ;)

https://bbs.com/en/products/design_line/sr.php

7x16 ET48 - 112/5 - SR011
7.5x17 ET45 - 112/5 - SR005

When 17" wheels do buckle where you live, running 18" or 19" wheels doesn't seem a good idea.