GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

wasted a wheel, now what?

2ndGTI

I got too close to a curb, and scraped a wheel. Ruined the tire, too. It's bad enough that I know I can be an idiot, but I'm not willing to broadcast that assessment to the world. I'll replace the wheel.

So now what? I can buy a "remanufactured" wheel for less than $200, but what does remanufactured mean? It's not as if the wheel is melted down, recast, and machined. More likely, something cosmetic and out the door it goes.

A new wheel is about $400. I can do that but, in my opinion, those wheels are particularly vulnerable to curbs (and idiots). I think a narrower wheel might be less of a problem. But would it support 225/40-r18s? And then there is the whole issue of the aftermarket. There are many attractive wheels, but if I need a replacement, will it be available? "I'm sorry, that wheel is no longer made. You'll need to buy four wheels."

I need a drink.

Bob

Last edited:

d1ngleberry

Passed Driver's Ed
You definitely need a drink. As much as we all love our cars, they're just cars. Life is too short to get hung up on these little mishaps.

See if you can find a matching used wheel that's in good shape.

I don't recommend buying a narrower wheel, as it may have adverse effects on handling or other vehicle dynamics.

Aftermarket is definitely a viable option, but much more costly since you'll be replacing 4 wheels instead of one. If you go with a popular aftermarket wheel (Neuspeed, Enkei, etc.), I don't think you'll have trouble sourcing replacements later on. Buying secondhand is always an option in that case as well.

2ndGTI

I'm pretty wound up about this because the car has fewer than 700 miles on it.

This place sells a replica wheel for $140. My car's OEM wheel was made in China; this is probably no worse.

https://www.wheelership.com/new-18-x-7-5-wheel-for-volkswagen-gti-golf-2014-2015-2016-rim-69980.html

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
What d1ingleberry says! It’s just a wheel, buy another. My wife loves to ride the granite curbs down town. I buy new wheels from oemwheels.com. BMW X3 18” wheels 240.00 each. I CANNOT stand the look of a ground up wheel.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
17's with a larger sidewall tire are much less vulnerable to damage, although not immune obviously.

If you're going to be parking curbside often the stock 18's are definitely not well protected by the rubber. The wheels are heavy but the metal is soft so any mistake is harshly punished...as you've discovered.

2ndGTI

Don't think I haven't considered curb-feelers.

I ordered a replacement wheel from wheelership.com. $140, including shipping. Looking at Tire Rack's web site, I saw two Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season tires in 225/40-r18. One of them is labeled "original equipment." I called and asked how the tires differ (other than the $48 price difference). I didn't realize that OEM tires are built to a price. Since the remaining three are OEM and have almost no mileage, I ordered another OEM.

I got a set of 16" steel take-offs from the dealer. They will have 215/55-r16 snows, and should be somewhat less susceptible to inattentive parking. FWIW, my 2018 GTI S has the smaller brake rotors which allow 16" wheels. I test-fitted them.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
It looks like the wheel you ordered (or at least posted the link to) is for a MK7 and you have a MK7.5... May want to double check that if they haven't shipped it out yet.

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
My wife and son and daughter have been using the Helen Keller method for parking our 2017 Golf Sportcombi GT so after three years I now have 2 dinged 17 x 7" OEM Salvadors. VW Sweden wants about €500 each for replacements that I see for €228 elsewhere in Europe, but it is not clear whether VW Germany or GB will sell to a customer in Sweden.

If I have to spend that much to replace two wheels, I might as well get 4 Enkei RPF1s and sell the 2 good OEM wheels.

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
17's with a larger sidewall tire are much less vulnerable to damage, although not immune obviously.

If you're going to be parking curbside often the stock 18's are definitely not well protected by the rubber. The wheels are heavy but the metal is soft so any mistake is harshly punished...as you've discovered.

I can attest to that.

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
My wife curbed both curbside wheels within 2000 miles of me on my new Audi A8, cure? She doesn't drive it anymore! Honestly learn to park away from the curb at least 10" OR just park it in a lot, then you won't get fore and aft dings from people parking in front and back of you.
I would look tantric as an opportunity to get rid of the heavy factory wheel. There are certainly more stylish wheels out there.,I have bought from oemwheels.com. High quality,,reasonable price.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Just for future reference going rate for a good shape OEM Austin with a tire on it is about 100 bucks.