GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 06-20-2019, 04:32 AM   #1
2018gti

Drives: 2018 GTI Autobahn 6-speed
OEM Dynamic Mk7.5 taillights on AliExpress

I wanted to give a shout-out to the AliExpress seller "VW AG Store" I just received my Mk7.5 dynamic tail lights from because they honestly went above and beyond with my order.

I've had the lights in my online cart for months and finally pulled the trigger last week. I paid $480 for all 4 lights and $90 for AliExpress Premium Shipping (for more peace of mind I guess). I kid you not, they gave me 2-day shipping, UPS Expedited from China. I don't know if it's because I'm a repeat customer of theirs but holy sh!@#@t.

Lights themselves are in perfect condition and were very well-packaged. I was a bit worried about buying something expensive through AliExpress but this particular seller has mostly OEM parts. They're literally the one seller on the whole site that has genuine tail lights for under $700.

Sorry if this reads like an advertisement but I'm so happy right now with how well this went, given all the pics I've seen of crappy tail lights. Never seen anyone get OEM lights from AliExpress so thought I'd share.

Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...30274c4dnCHS63

Pictures:

2018gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
nype

Drives: 2016 GTI Performance - DSG - Carbon Grey w/Leather
Sweet deal. But how are you certain that they’re OEM?
nype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
2018gti

I’m quite certain because they have the VW logo stamped in the plastic as well as the part number sticker. Also, they have the 8-pin blue connector. All of the knockoffs have the older Mk7 connector, which is an easy way to tell that they’ve been modified internally.

Edit: for what it’s worth I did also message the seller asking if they had been modified at all. And they told me they are OEM.

Last edited by 2018gti; 06-20-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
nype

Drives: 2016 GTI Performance - DSG - Carbon Grey w/Leather
Good to know. Nice find!
nype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #5
BrownMK7Driver

Drives: 2015 Golf TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018gti View Post
I’m quite certain because they have the VW logo stamped in the plastic as well as the part number sticker. Also, they have the 8-pin blue connector. All of the knockoffs have the older Mk7 connector, which is an easy way to tell that they’ve been modified internally.

Edit: for what it’s worth I did also message the seller asking if they had been modified at all. And they told me they are OEM.
I dont think you can base it off of the plastic housings. Yes they can have vw logos, doesnt mean the inner electronics are all OEM. They could have sourced the housing/ connectors, but internally you cant be 100% sure
BrownMK7Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #6
larbel

Drives: Audi 8V S3 Sedan
Just coz they came from China doesn't mean they're fake... Don't forget China has one of the largest VAG plant in the world, and Golf 7 is manufactured locally except for the R, I could get the OE taillights for about the same price so if the seller checks out, it sounds about right.
larbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:21 PM   #7
Chogokin

Drives: GTI Sport/MK6 JSW/Banshee Spitfire/Cervelo S2
I got my Mk7 LED lights from China too. They had the same VW logos molded on them. They were a bit dusty...but they all have VW part numbers on them.

People tend to forget that VW has a huge market share in China. I think they sell more VWs in China than anywhere else on the planet. The only place VW is losing is North America.
Chogokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #8
2018gti

I seriously doubt they’re fake. The LEDs are too bright and vivid to have been tampered with, in my opinion. And the lens is like glass - looks like it’s never been touched.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #9
Chogokin

Drives: GTI Sport/MK6 JSW/Banshee Spitfire/Cervelo S2
They aren't...I wouldn't worry too much about it. VW has enough cars in China to produce the parts for the cars in China. Like the Mexican built VWs. A lot of the parts are also made in Mexico.

I'm actually thinking of getting some third party 7.5 lights for the Mk7. They don't require me to run a new harness. They'll plug right into the Mk7 LED harness.
Chogokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #10
THEREALVRT

Drives: 2016 R
OP- what harness did you use?
Old 06-21-2019, 01:15 AM   #11
2018gti

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEREALVRT View Post
OP- what harness did you use?
Planning to make the harness on my own actually. I got the connectors from AliExpress as well .
Old 07-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #12
2018gti

Wanted to post an update because I just got them installed. They look so good. Definitely OEM as they are super bright and have that deep, almost blood red color.
Attached Images