GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
I've pinged him a couple of times, hes still cranking along without issue.

Oh, well that's good to hear. He had the intake camshaft replacement/adjust/magnet doohicky, right?

And reading back through the earlier parts of the thread, I totally forgot about the Transport Mode issue--mainly because that turned out to not be a real fix for a lot of owners. The only time I did scan my car, very early on with OBD11, I noticed the same issue with it being set to Active in central electronics and, I think set to 50 miles in Cam Gateway.

I did try to turn it off in Central Electronics, but it wanted me to enter a code to do it. I did the google thing and couldn't find any type of code for this, and no online information, really, on how to run codes through OBD11 in general. This is all very new to me, so I didn't want to dabble. I was able to set Transport Mode to "5 miles" instead of 50 in the Cam Gateway (wouldn't let me set it to "0"), hoping that it would just trip to inactive in a shorter amount of time. ...I confess that I never went back into OBD11 to look at those two settings again to see where they are at. This was at ~112 or so miles and I'm now at 1300.

Still haven't heard anything back from the Service station since dropping it off on Tuesday. Figure I'll give them a nudge later in the day if I still don't hear anything, and maybe brink up the old Transport Mode question and even pry if they've been looking at the intake camshaft at all.

Last edited:

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
With the problem growing and no fix in site, I've started to hit the various auto news outlets.

So far I've reached out to Car and Driver, Autoblog, Road and Track, and Jalopink. Anyone else you guys think I should hit up?

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
With the problem growing and no fix in site, I've started to hit the various auto news outlets.

So far I've reached out to Car and Driver, Autoblog, Road and Track, and Jalopink. Anyone else you guys think I should hit up?

Well, This guy, obviously

https://www.youtube.com/user/HumbleMechanic

Though I imagine that a lot of the experienced people in that interest group aren't going to be encountering these issues regularly and would most likely never see them, as they tend to deal with older cars, but I like his videos and the DAP people. They definitely know their VWs, so I'm curious what their take would be--I'd assume people in their circles will have 2019 GTIs somewhere to fiddle with. (EDIT: lol, and of course he'd go out and pick up a 2019 R a few days ago)

There's also the benefit of talking to VW-focused areas of the industry, as the larger auto news outlets are very generalized and would (maybe rightly?) treat this as such a niche sneeze of a problem that might just disappear with a relatively quick fix. ....of course unless it becomes very public very soon. I guess that is what the general news outlets are really good for.

Last edited:

GTIdre1

Ready to race!

Though I imagine that a lot of the experienced people in that interest group aren't going to be encountering these issues regularly and would most likely never see them, as they tend to deal with older cars, but I like his videos and the DAP people. They definitely know their VWs, so I'm curious what their take would be--I'd assume people in their circles will have 2019 GTIs somewhere to fiddle with. (EDIT: lol, and of course he'd go out and pick up a 2019 R a few days ago)

There's also the benefit of talking to VW-focused areas of the industry, as the larger auto news outlets are very generalized and would (maybe rightly?) treat this as such a niche sneeze of a problem that might just disappear with a relatively quick fix. ....of course unless it becomes very public very soon. I guess that is what the general news outlets are really good for.

Great idea DCF! Woud love to see an article about this on Jalopnik. They've covered other issues similar to this (recall on the 2013 brz/f-rs).

FWIW, I've been stall free for the last 500+ miles on my APR+ tune (knock on wood).

HappyLegs

Passed Driver's Ed
And reading back through the earlier parts of the thread, I totally forgot about the Transport Mode issue--mainly because that turned out to not be a real fix for a lot of owners.

Prior to the TBA and oil change I did deactivate transport mode in central electronics, it still stalled.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster

Reached out to him as well.

cb1111

Mainstream, non-automotive news media that covered dieselgate - WSJ, NYT etc.

That's what I would do if I could.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Good news? ...or update, anyway.

Service just called me and said that they did the ECU reset, including the TBA (this is just part of it anyway, right?). Tech drove it for "a long time" and it is no longer stalling. ....those are the only details.

I'll pick it up tomorrow and see. Of course I will have to drive it around for a while before I sign off on it. I'm a little bit sketchy on that because I know it hasn't worked for everyone...but the TBA did work for Happy Legs. Though he also did an oil change.

I asked about the oil change, which I requested, and he said that they won't do it because VW is telling them not to do it until 10k and that this engine "no longer needs break in." I'm like...well, OK. Tell you what. If they won't approve it at 1300 miles I'll just go with that. If it stalls again tomorrow, then we shall see.

I'm curious if they did proper testing in the post-fix drive or not. It has been very consistent on the stall for me over the last two weeks, even when I'm not directly trying to force it. Just takes longer if going through regular traffic driving.

Sounds like most of you guys are still going by the break-in period oil change. ...I might still take it to a nearby reputable VW guy and request it (0w20 only)--after confirming that the stall is no more, of course. I'm wondering that is still some bollocks from VW and there remains some little bits and crud in the oil during the break-in period that you really should flush out?

I meant to ask him about the RPM at idle now, but I forgot. I've been reading that service document that dcf posted earlier today about how the whole variable valve timing thing works, particularly the details related to idle. It says that idle is set at 1200 RPM. For me, it has been idling at 1000 RPM or less, and when it gets rough on the stop, it will blip down to 300 or 200 and back up again a few times before stalling. EDIT: OK, it says "to about" 1200 rpm. I guess 1000 RPM should be fine. One expects some variation there at low speed

Last edited:

Stolen Nickels

This was actually my next task.. So thanks for getting it into motion. I can't even get calls back from VWoA anymore.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Was that Ourisman? Please keep us updated. I have a meeting on Monday and this topic may come up.

Yep, Ourisman VW/Volvo in Bethesda. Specifically the service center on Butler.

further info: I bought this car from Ourisman VW in Waldorf, April 22; it came from the Stohlman (Tysons area, I think) dealership in VA. It had 43 or so miles on the OD when I picked it up (the drive from the Stohlman lot in VA to Waldorf, MD.

I'll know by tomorrow if this fix "worked" ...at least for the first 20 minutes of testing, because that's how long it has taken me in the last 2 weeks or so to replicate it. If it doesn't stall, good for now I guess, but we shall see, lol.

Anyway, will post back here tomorrow and regardless, update again by Sunday evening with some more mileage data

cb1111

Yep, Ourisman VW/Volvo in Bethesda. Specifically the service center on Butler.

further info: I bought this car from Ourisman VW in Waldorf, April 22; it came from the Stohlman (Tysons area, I think) dealership in VA. It had 43 or so miles on the OD when I picked it up (the drive from the Stohlman lot in VA to Waldorf, MD.

I'll know by tomorrow if this fix "worked" ...at least for the first 20 minutes of testing, because that's how long it has taken me in the last 2 weeks or so to replicate it. If it doesn't stall, good for now I guess, but we shall see, lol.

Anyway, will post back here tomorrow and regardless, update again by Sunday evening with some more mileage data
Thanks! Keep us posted.