GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
So it just occurred to me... when I took it to the dealer 1800 + miles ago, they found a code indicating a bad battery and replaced it.

Disconnecting the battery should reset the ECU no? Well if that’s the case, then this might explain why I’ve been driving problem free for so long.

Grasping at straws here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
So it just occurred to me... when I took it to the dealer 1800 + miles ago, they found a code indicating a bad battery and replaced it.

Disconnecting the battery should reset the ECU no? Well if that’s the case, then this might explain why I’ve been driving problem free for so long.

Grasping at straws here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe, but disconnecting the battery will clear out and cause pain with steering and other elements.

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
Search for the steering angle settings. These cars don't like full voltage removal.

I would assume the dealer did this as part of the battery replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
300+ more miles today, driving to Cumberland, MD and back. Mostly 6th gear highway driving, but found some nice and super fun twisties on the way back--40 Alternate towards Harper's Ferry, for one. So, not a whole lot of stressful start and stop city driving, but I got a good bit of it in Cumberland, briefly nearby in WV, and some Boomerstown or Boomsvile or something MD. Not one stall, revs just planted happily at ~850 every single stop. Not a budge on the needle or a pout from the engine.

In other news, we stumbled upon a local auto show in downtown CUmberland that was going on. ...apparently you could just drive your car in and enter it. There were some legit classics, but mostly new, dirty, boring (one of those phenomenally mundane ~94 Mustangs)...but just a bunch of hilarious semi-cool, semi-whatever, but also great cars with dirt and rust and crud all over them. My favorite car was a 2018 Abarth 124...until I saw some dude's 2015 3 door GTI! That guy got my people's choice vote for the day!

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
300+ more miles today, driving to Cumberland, MD and back. Mostly 6th gear highway driving, but found some nice and super fun twisties on the way back--40 Alternate towards Harper's Ferry, for one. So, not a whole lot of stressful start and stop city driving, but I got a good bit of it in Cumberland, briefly nearby in WV, and some Boomerstown or Boomsvile or something MD. Not one stall, revs just planted happily at ~850 every single stop. Not a budge on the needle or a pout from the engine.

In other news, we stumbled upon a local auto show in downtown CUmberland that was going on. ...apparently you could just drive your car in and enter it. There were some legit classics, but mostly new, dirty, boring (one of those phenomenally mundane ~94 Mustangs)...but just a bunch of hilarious semi-cool, semi-whatever, but also great cars with dirt and rust and crud all over them. My favorite car was a 2018 Abarth 124...until I saw some dude's 2015 3 door GTI! That guy got my people's choice vote for the day!

I love rt 40... great drive

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
I love rt 40... great drive

yes, I've discovered (like you know, Columbus discovered the New World and we all tend to discover things that...have long been discovered) many fun roads around me lately. Just have to go well out of your way to avoid the 95/495/270/395 etc major route madness around here.

I still keep a full 50 state large format road atlas with me, and that's pretty much what I use to plan drives.

I very rarely use navigation. I hate it. Too distracting and it never knows what's going on. I like reading atlases as they have far more details and you can be quite precise in your planning if you know how to read them, and far far better on the fly if you have a navigator (the human kind) that is on point and you need to alter a route.

Few weeks ago when driving down to NC, I had to pick up a friend in Tyson's corner and drop him off in Short Pump (Richmond)....no way I'm hitting 95 south @ 3pm on a Friday, I say (I never do that); I usually go 301 around and across the bridge, but I have to be on the opposite side of the city this time, so I plan a route that takes me to to 15 to 522 south, which puts us on 64 straight to his house. ....522 is amazing. It's not very twisty, maybe a few short bits here and there that can be quite fun, but it's narrow and hilly, just pastoral all around. Very very very chill drive. Much better than 301 where you drive through Waldorf and all of that most of the way. Anything is better than endless stopped hell on smelly, stressful 95, and the travel time on that day, at that time, is pretty much the same for all the slow routes compared to 95.

cb1111

That would have been Boonsboro (Nora Roberts, the romance novelist restored and now owns the historic inn that burned down about 10 years ago). If you're there again, turn right at the light and go a couple of miles to Keedysville and have lunch at the Red Bird diner. One of my sites isn't far away on South Mountain and we'd go there for the $7.95 all you can eat fried chicken on Wednesdays. Then there is the South Mountain Creamery if you're into ice cream.

The Cumberland car meet is a trip. One of my sites is there too and we would stop by periodically - really reminds you about how depressed the area is- sad.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
That would have been Boonsboro (Nora Roberts, the romance novelist restored and now owns the historic inn that burned down about 10 years ago). If you're there again, turn right at the light and go a couple of miles to Keedysville and have lunch at the Red Bird diner. One of my sites isn't far away on South Mountain and we'd go there for the $7.95 all you can eat fried chicken on Wednesdays. Then there is the South Mountain Creamery if you're into ice cream.

The Cumberland car meet is a trip. One of my sites is there too and we would stop by periodically - really reminds you about how depressed the area is- sad.

Ah very cool. thanks for the tips. I parked the car behind the creamery because there were no signs there, but plenty of signs in the area warning about aggressive towing, and even in the lot across the street from the creamery, that said creamery only...but their own lot, they didn't seem to care. Car was still there when we got back, which was nice.

Ate at Dan's Taproom. Food was...adequate but the beverage selection was quite good. Tried to eat at the "Restaurant and Guns and Ammo" shop because, why not? but they were closed for some reason (2 hours prior to posted closing).

"One of your sites." ..what exactly do you mean, related to work? Is it something of a secret?

cb1111

Ah very cool. thanks for the tips. I parked the car behind the creamery because there were no signs there, but plenty of signs in the area warning about aggressive towing, and even in the lot across the street from the creamery, that said creamery only...but their own lot, they didn't seem to care. Car was still there when we got back, which was nice.

Ate at Dan's Taproom. Food was...adequate but the beverage selection was quite good. Tried to eat at the "Restaurant and Guns and Ammo" shop because, why not? but they were closed for some reason (2 hours prior to posted closing).

"One of your sites." ..what exactly do you mean, related to work? Is it something of a secret?
But then I'd have to kill you.... :D
Queen City Creamery and Deli has great breakfasts when you're in Cumberland around breakfast time.

Stolen Nickels

? Has anyone had stalling happen a few seconds (or longer) after a complete stop?

Yes, just once though... Once the stall occurred, I hit the ignition button and only got about a second of time before it died again. Mind you, this was during the absolute worst time, of course: I had just pulled into a busy street while making a left turn, and was stuck powerless in traffic.

Every other time has been a single occurrence.

*edit* I misread your question as a few seconds after an initial stall... sorry for the confusion. I’d say half of my occurrences have been within 5-10 seconds of coming to a complete stop; the other are immediate.

Last edited: